Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Disciple

Re: What's your euphemism for bourbon?

Quote Originally Posted by Red One View Post
    Nice! My wife calls it the "nasty" because she hates the taste of bourbon. Even when she "needs" a Hot Toddy, we can't seem to find one she can tolerate.
    fortunately for both of us, my wife doesnt like bourbon, and I dont like red wine. score!

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by tdwester View Post
    I always ask for an unpretentious domestic.
    Yes but we are amused by it's naive lack of presumption.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Enthusiast

When asked what I want to drink, I usually just say, "Pour me some brown."

my little one sometimes refers to it as my "special drink" but she wouldn't think it special if she knew what it's doing to her college fund.

Connoisseur

The rest of the story:
    In 1964 my future wife and I met the parents of her classmate, Marcia. Dick and Annabelle were quite social and kept a nice bar. He would ask, "What do you want to drink?" I'd answer, "How about a Margarita with salt on the rim." Dick was a Kentucky Colonel so he'd pour me some bourbon.
    When Dick died in 1982, we promised him we would look out for Annabelle because Marcia had gone off to be a Grey Nun in Edmonton.
    When we visited Annabelle, she'd ask, "What do you want to drink?" I'd answer, "How about a Margarita with salt on the rim." She'd roll her eyes and say, "You little sh*t!" then make me a vodka and tonic with a twist of lemon because that was what she liked and could not understand why anyone would want anything different.
    Annabelle died last night at age 101. Until Friday she was still living at home and still insisting that she knew better what I should be drinking.
    If God made anything better than bourbon he must have kept it for Hisself.

Disciple

great story, flyfish. tip one back for annabelle tonight!

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by 393foureyedfox View Post
    that Andy Griffith skit was a good one, I think I first heard it on Sirius years ago. I didnt know it was from '53, I woulda thought the 60's sometime. His show was timeless, I can still sit down and watch them today and enjoy them. Most stuff on TV these days isnt worth watching the first time it airs!

on topic, I dont have any euphemisms for bourbon/whiskey, yet. My buddies and I will just grab something wherever we are, take a sip and say in a very hoarse and pained way "smooth". I dont know where that started.
    The first reference I can remember to this was Ralph Furley on Three's Company. You can search youtube for the clip "Ralph Furley - Smooooth". I've also been known to do pull this gag on occasion .

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by B.B. Babington View Post
    my little one sometimes refers to it as my "special drink" but she wouldn't think it special if she knew what it's doing to her college fund.
    That is funny. My daughter often tells my wife, "Daddy's down looking at his beer again!" I have stopped explaining that it is not BEER!

Virtuoso

I call it the oil of conversation, the philosophic wine, the ale that is consumed when good fellows get together, that puts a song in their hearts and laughter on their lips, and the warm glow of contentment in their eyes.

Advanced Taster

"Whiskey. Neat"