Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trend

Hybrid View

Taster

Trend

My local store just jacked up the prices about $5 more on select bourbons, Bookers -$55, Bakers-$43, Black Maple Hill- $44 and a few others. Is this the trend now with higher demand? What a rip!

Virtuoso

Re: Trend

Nothing is getting any cheaper, that's for sure.

Advanced Taster

Thats a better price for Bookers than I saw last night - $60. Decided to look around town for a better price than pay that since its one I haven't tried.

Enthusiast

yes.......... I've been draining the bunker lately. Anyone else?
    "Sat down to my supper twas a bottle of red whiskey" -Dire Wolf

Disciple

Relatively small incremental price increases, while annoying, don't create the ruckus significant price increases do. One day, they will price us out of the market or onto a lower shelf.

Guru

We think of price per bottle but the retailers think of price per sale with visions of profit dancing in their head.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Disciple

Do you think it is reflective of a desire of the retailer wanting to extract more profit or the result of increased costs from the producer and distributor?

I realize it can be a little of both. I generally perceive small incremental price increases as being due to increases in the production and distribution system and larger price increases to retailer's overpricing based on their perception of "market" value, either real or imagined.

Enthusiast

Sometimes, large price increases are simply a result of a product that has had the same price for too long. The producer and/or retailer should have taken an increase earlier but decided to take lower margins for a period of time.
    "Old guys tend to say it like it is." squire

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by portwood View Post
    Sometimes, large price increases are simply a result of a product that has had the same price for too long. The producer and/or retailer should have taken an increase earlier but decided to take lower margins for a period of time.
    Exactly. Trust me, our store hates raising prices because of all the bellyaching customers make about even $.50 increase. But, in NY distributors shift prices up/down monthly--a 1.75l of Jack might be $5 more or less wholesale month-to-month. We try to keep prices stable over the long-term, but overall the trend is towards higher costs. If the price doesn't come down, we have to increase the price to the new higher level.

Enthusiast

I have friends with a liquor store, and they have marked up practically everything in the place, spirits, wine and beer over the last 6 months. They still work off the same margins, so it is all coming from the distributor level to them.