Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Trend

Advanced Taster

Re: Trend

I am fairly new here so I will not defend the prices, but from someone that previously drank mostly wine and port it could be worse. It is not unusual at all to spend $50 to $75 for a bottle of port or wine that is consumed in one evening compared to a bottle of Bourbon that last me anywhere from 2 to 3 weeks. I know there are a lot of wines for $10 or less but if we are going to compare upper shelf bourbons you have to compare upper shelf wines.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Thig View Post
    I am fairly new here so I will not defend the prices, but from someone that previously drank mostly wine and port it could be worse. It is not unusual at all to spend $50 to $75 for a bottle of port or wine that is consumed in one evening compared to a bottle of Bourbon that last me anywhere from 2 to 3 weeks. I know there are a lot of wines for $10 or less but if we are going to compare upper shelf bourbons you have to compare upper shelf wines.
    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    Hey .. You know.. since you put it like that, I feel a little better..
    Everyday my spirit seems to find its way to the bottom of a glass...... Don

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Thig View Post

yeah, I once was grumbling about a $45 whiskey I wanted and thought it sounded like a lot, since my wifes wine is $8-13 a bottle, depending on where we get it (which state, basically). Then I realized there are 5 'drinks' in her bottle, and 25 in mine. then it didnt seem so bad

Guru

Ah, whisky is a best buy then, who would've thought.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Connoisseur

Yeah -- many have gone up in price out here. Off the top of my head:

* Fighting Cock $13.99 to $16.99

* Old Fitz 100 $12.99 to $16.99

* OWA (for the last few months it was available) $18.99 to $24.99

* Benchmark - $12.99 to $18.99 (handle)

Surprisingly, the mid-upper shelf stuff has stayed more reliable. BT, KC100/120, WR, OGD 114, etc have all been steady.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by 393foureyedfox View Post
    yeah, I once was grumbling about a $45 whiskey I wanted and thought it sounded like a lot, since my wifes wine is $8-13 a bottle, depending on where we get it (which state, basically). Then I realized there are 5 'drinks' in her bottle, and 25 in mine. then it didnt seem so bad
    You get 25 drinks a bottle? I didn't know bourbon came in Jeroboams.
    If God made anything better than bourbon he must have kept it for Hisself.

Novice

Just noticed last week or so that OWA jumped from $20.99 to $23.99 locally.

Guru

Baker's and Booker's both recently got big price hikes here too. Luckily I saw this on the state website and I was able to buy a bottle of each before the price went up.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by 393foureyedfox View Post
    I don't consider a 1 ounce pour to be standard...so for me a liquor bottle holds about sixteen 1.5oz pours...which means that a $15 bottle of wine is about the equivalent expenditure to a $80 bottle of liquor.

Advanced Taster

when comparing to wine prices, remember the 750ml bottles are the same size. so you can just divide the abv of the liquor by the abv of the wine. typically, a bottle of liquor has about as many etoh-equivalent servings as 3 or so bottles of wine. (one 42% bottle of spirit = three 14% bottles of wine.) even a 140 proof stagg only has as much alcohol as five 14% bottles. for equating to a 6-pack of 12 oz beers, I just first multiply the beer abv by 3 as close enough (or by 2 for a 4-pack).