Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Canadian shopping list help!

Canadian SBers, lend me your ear!

I'll be doing my at least once a year trip up to BC in March (last year I made 4 trips through BC and AB) and wanted to find out what "only in Canada" whiskys I should be on the look out for. Last year I brought back bottles of Lot 40, Forty Creek Copper Pot, FC Portwood, FC Confed Oak, Pikes Creek, and Alberta Dark Horse. I'll be spending time in Vancouver and Whistler so there should be a decent selection somewhere in there.

I know that BC prices as a whole suck, I've gagged when talking with a shop owner on his scotch prices, yikes! For this reason I only look at those I can't get in the states, or when the Canadian version is just better (like the pikes creek age statement vs NAS). I remember folks talking about a good version of Wisers that is CA only so I would be interested in that.

Thanks for the help!

Virtuoso

Re: Canadian shopping list help!

Looking at their site, the Lot 40 is $20 less in Canada than in the States (no idea in WA state with all your taxes). If you into Japanese Whisky, they seem to have a range of Nikka products.

Enthusiast

The version of Wiser's you should be looking for is the Legacy - you may also consider the 18yo (not as good as the Legacy IMO). You already have the only other Canadian I would recommend (Lot no 40).

Some of note that may not be available in the US (not for me but the true Cdn Whisky fanatics swear by them) would be the following:
    Danfield's 21yo ($45 in Ontario)
    Gibson's 18yo ($75 in ON)
    Century 21yo ($50 in ON). This one is called "rye" in the Canadian tradition but is actually 100% corn whisky, so may be of interest.
    "Old guys tend to say it like it is." squire

Enthusiast

At the risk of treating you like a five-year-old with no internet searching skills (if such a 5 yr old exists ) --

I have scavenged Davin deK's site www.canadianwhisky.org off and on for a year or so. Davin recently posted his latest "best" list and usually identifies what is and is not available down here. Why do I care? WashDC gets a fair variety of, but just a little of, rare Canadian product (depending on the store) so I have to be quick on the better stuff.

Disciple

Wisers Legacy is available here. Normally 43.00 in Ohio, it is on sale this month for 33.00!

Thomas

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Harry in WashDC View Post
    I have scavenged Davin deK's site www.canadianwhisky.org ...
    By all means look around that website - it has a lot of good information - but caveat emptor, Davin is the current face of Canadian whisky*. For him, any Canadian whisky is great whisky by virtue of being Canadian. His average score is 4.5/5!

* He has many supporters but for some of us he's borderline fanatic in his support of the industry and the status quo (additives, 40% abv, calling 100% corn whisky "rye", etc).
    Last edited by portwood; 02-10-2014 at 17:21.
    "Old guys tend to say it like it is." squire

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by portwood View Post
    By all means look around that website - it has a lot of good information - but caveat emptor, Davin is the current face of Canadian whisky*. For him, any Canadian whisky is great whisky by virtue of being Canadian. His average score is 4.5/5!

* He has many supporters but for some of us he's borderline fanatic in his support of the industry and the status quo (additives, 40% abv, calling 100% corn whisky "rye", etc).
    Thanks for all the info! I'll take a look at the site and see what I can find when I'm up there, though at this point my list is quite small.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by portwood View Post

It's interesting that Davin got some of the Malt Maniacs to do a Canadian themed round of tastings and most of those were not as glowing.
    Last edited by ChainWhip; 02-11-2014 at 18:34.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Enthusiast

Two ideas come to me although I'd go for Portwoods recommendation.

- The Pike Creek that is sold up here is a more mature version than the one found in the States. I read that on Whiskey Advocate Blog I think.
    - Cask 16 (Crown Royal) is being discontinued - most of the stock is still in Canada I believe. If you want this, buy now.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    Two ideas come to me although I'd go for Portwoods recommendation.

- The Pike Creek that is sold up here is a more mature version than the one found in the States. I read that on Whiskey Advocate Blog I think.
    - Cask 16 (Crown Royal) is being discontinued - most of the stock is still in Canada I believe. If you want this, buy now.
    I have the Canadian pike creek that I picked up in Edmonton last year. I've never been a fan of Crown so I don't own any of those but thats opinion is due to their basic expression, I'd be willing to try the Cask 16, assuming I could still find it. I'll keep my eyes open.