Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 31
  1. #11
    Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Just East of the Big Chicken, GA
    Posts
    6,110

    Re: Canadian shopping list help!

    Quote Originally Posted by MtnDew View Post
    Thanks for all the info! I'll take a look at the site and see what I can find when I'm up there, though at this point my list is quite small.
    Enjoy your trip up North. Maybe, expand upon your search list to include bourbon. Never know what you may find!
    JOE

    Wag more.
    Bark less.

    "Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

  2. #12
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Seattle Area
    Posts
    539

    Re: Canadian shopping list help!

    Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    Enjoy your trip up North. Maybe, expand upon your search list to include bourbon. Never know what you may find!
    Bourbon? Why would I look for bourbon north of the border? I don't recall ever seeing a decent bourbon selection, though many of the larger shops did have a nice scotch collection. And the prices... yikes! The only reason I'm willing to pay Canadian liquor prices is to get stuff I can't get in the states, otherwise I want nothing to do with them.

  3. #13
    Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Just East of the Big Chicken, GA
    Posts
    6,110

    Re: Canadian shopping list help!

    Quote Originally Posted by MtnDew View Post
    Bourbon? Why would I look for bourbon north of the border? I don't recall ever seeing a decent bourbon selection, though many of the larger shops did have a nice scotch collection. And the prices... yikes! The only reason I'm willing to pay Canadian liquor prices is to get stuff I can't get in the states, otherwise I want nothing to do with them.
    Hey, just trying to help. Sometimes ya gotta think outside the box.
    JOE

    Wag more.
    Bark less.

    "Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

  4. #14
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Seattle Area
    Posts
    539

    Re: Canadian shopping list help!

    Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    Hey, just trying to help. Sometimes ya gotta think outside the box.
    What the crap!?!?! Why would I EVER want to do that?!?!?! I am a good sheep!

    The suggestion was not bad if the intention was to look for "lost" bottles that made it up to CA and are long gone in the US. Otherwise buying bourbon up north is crazy, I can't believe how much they have to pay for whiskey up there.

  5. #15
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    PacNW
    Posts
    301

    Re: Canadian shopping list help!

    Quote Originally Posted by MtnDew View Post
    What the crap!?!?! Why would I EVER want to do that?!?!?! I am a good sheep!

    The suggestion was not bad if the intention was to look for "lost" bottles that made it up to CA and are long gone in the US. Otherwise buying bourbon up north is crazy, I can't believe how much they have to pay for whiskey up there.
    I was hauling a lot of wine north for a week in Whistler (BC wine is mediocre and imported US wine is crazy expensive) and didn't have any "spare" room for spirits so I decided to buy whatever drinkable bourbon I could find in BC and randomly found an OFBB 2010 in a North Van store... in 2013. Yeah it was $80, but that didn't stop me from buying it. All of BC's stock is online at bcliquor.com, wouldn't hurt to dig through it before you travel.

    And if you have spare alcoholic content room at the border coming back, I'll take a Lot 40 off your hands!

  6. #16
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Seattle Area
    Posts
    539

    Re: Canadian shopping list help!

    I just may have room since we normally come back with 6-8 bottles and this time our budget is lower than usual. I'll let you know what I find.

    And yes, I've spent lots of time on both the BC and Alberta provincial liquor sites. Albertas is a little harder to use but helped me find several fun bottles last year.

    Quote Originally Posted by DBM View Post
    I was hauling a lot of wine north for a week in Whistler (BC wine is mediocre and imported US wine is crazy expensive) and didn't have any "spare" room for spirits so I decided to buy whatever drinkable bourbon I could find in BC and randomly found an OFBB 2010 in a North Van store... in 2013. Yeah it was $80, but that didn't stop me from buying it. All of BC's stock is online at bcliquor.com, wouldn't hurt to dig through it before you travel.

    And if you have spare alcoholic content room at the border coming back, I'll take a Lot 40 off your hands!

  7. #17
    Guru
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    PacNW
    Posts
    2,284

    Re: Canadian shopping list help!

    I really want to visit a couple of stores in Calgary
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

    "Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

  8. #18
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Markham, ONT
    Posts
    497

    Re: Canadian shopping list help!

    Quote Originally Posted by ChainWhip View Post
    I really want to visit a couple of stores in Calgary
    If you make it to Kensington Wine Market, say hi to Andrew Ferguson (@scotch_guy).
    The guy knows his Scotch!
    "Old guys tend to say it like it is." squire

  9. #19
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Seattle Area
    Posts
    539

    Re: Canadian shopping list help!

    Quote Originally Posted by portwood View Post
    If you make it to Kensington Wine Market, say hi to Andrew Ferguson (@scotch_guy).
    The guy knows his Scotch!
    Calgary would be fun, I have not shopped there at all. I have stopped at a number of stores in both Vancouver and Edmonton, as well as Whistler but there are only like 2 there in total. Last year I drove all over Edmonton finding the few specific bottles on my list and I managed to get all of them. I have not started my research for this years trip yet but we should be good, apart from the duty frees on the way up and down, I'll be spending a few days in both Vancouver and Whistler so I'm bound to be able to find most items.

  10. #20
    Guru
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    PacNW
    Posts
    2,284

    Re: Canadian shopping list help!

    Quote Originally Posted by portwood View Post
    If you make it to Kensington Wine Market, say hi to Andrew Ferguson (@scotch_guy).
    The guy knows his Scotch!
    That's exactly who/where I was thinking about when I mentioned Calgary!
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

    "Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Canadian Club 12 year old or Canadian Club Sherry Cask?
    By velocci in forum Foreign Whiskey
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02-09-2008, 09:41
  2. Need Bourbon Shopping List!
    By CL in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-15-2002, 15:52
  3. Shopping List
    By **DONOTDELETE** in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-24-2000, 16:16

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top