Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 31
  1. #21
    Guru
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    NWGA
    Posts
    2,033

    Re: Canadian shopping list help!

    Calgary is in the middle of nowhere and it's a long way from anywhere.

  2. #22
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Seattle Area
    Posts
    543

    Re: Canadian shopping list help!

    Quote Originally Posted by TunnelTiger View Post
    Calgary is in the middle of nowhere and it's a long way from anywhere.
    And my family managed to drive through there 3 times in the last 8 years on vacations... but thats my family for you. Though we have also been to Edmonton 3 times as well, and not even on the same trips as Calgary! We travel to odd places...

  3. #23
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Seattle Area
    Posts
    543

    Re: Canadian shopping list help!

    So, day 2 of this years Canadian trip and so far I've picked up:

    Duty Free
    Glenfiddich Cask of Dreams Wine Cask
    Wisers Legacy (1L)

    BC Stores
    3 x Lot 40
    Forty Creek Heart of Gold
    Writers Tears
    Grants Sherry Cask

    Now I'm debating if I should grab bottles of Alberta Springs 10 year, Alberta Premium, Centennial 10 year, and maybe another Dark Horse.

  4. #24
    Advanced Taster
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    164

    Re: Canadian shopping list help!

    I'm a fan of Alberta Springs 10yr, very low priced and a great sipper. To date my favourite Canadian whisky is Masterson's 10yr. With Wiser's I like the 18yr slightly better than the Legacy (but a price of $70 has me not getting it often). My next Canadian purchase I'm thinking Collingwood 21yr Rye.

  5. #25
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Markham, ONT
    Posts
    536

    Re: Canadian shopping list help!

    Quote Originally Posted by MtnDew View Post
    So, day 2 of this years Canadian trip and so far I've picked up:

    Duty Free
    Glenfiddich Cask of Dreams Wine Cask
    Wisers Legacy (1L)

    BC Stores
    3 x Lot 40
    Forty Creek Heart of Gold
    Writers Tears
    Grants Sherry Cask

    Now I'm debating if I should grab bottles of Alberta Springs 10 year, Alberta Premium, Centennial 10 year, and maybe another Dark Horse.
    Replied to your DM but my response merits posting in public, so here goes.

    What I would do and what you should do are two different things ;-)
    First, what I would do: get more lot no 40!

    What you should do:
    a) if its variety you want, between the choices listed, get the "basic" Alberta Premium. Second choice would be the AS10. IIFC the AS10 is same distillate as AP with more age. I'm not a fan of what they have done to come up with the Dark Horse* and so I'm biased against the taste profile as well, YMMV though.

    b) If its quality you want, see "what I would do"


    *To me its a liqueur not a whisky: they added straight bourbon (good news is that reports say it was OGD) and a small amount of "port" (Cdn wine made in port style) to the Canadian whisky to come up with the blend. Chances are they also added e150a, though that hasn't been confirmed.
    "Old guys tend to say it like it is." squire

  6. #26
    Guru
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    2,885

    Re: Canadian shopping list help!

    Have you seen any Teeling Irish Whiskey in BC? Don't have to get it (unless you just want to) but I noticed you included Writers Tears in your shopping list! But I am curious if it is around yet. I haven't seen it in the States yet or I would try to get one myself.

    Quote Originally Posted by MtnDew View Post
    So, day 2 of this years Canadian trip and so far I've picked up:

    Duty Free
    Glenfiddich Cask of Dreams Wine Cask
    Wisers Legacy (1L)

    BC Stores
    3 x Lot 40
    Forty Creek Heart of Gold
    Writers Tears
    Grants Sherry Cask

    Now I'm debating if I should grab bottles of Alberta Springs 10 year, Alberta Premium, Centennial 10 year, and maybe another Dark Horse.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

    Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

  7. #27
    Guru
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    PacNW
    Posts
    2,330

    Re: Canadian shopping list help!

    Quote Originally Posted by portwood View Post

    First, what I would do: get more lot no 40!
    Um... Listen to the man!
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

    "Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

  8. #28
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Seattle Area
    Posts
    543

    Re: Canadian shopping list help!

    Sorry, no more lot 40, the stores in Whistler don't have it. I did see Teeling, though I passed on it since it's supposed to be getting wide distribution in the US and the price will be lower.

  9. #29
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Markham, ONT
    Posts
    536

    Re: Canadian shopping list help!

    Quote Originally Posted by portwood View Post
    *To me its a liqueur not a whisky: they added straight bourbon (good news is that reports say it was OGD) and a small amount of "port" (Cdn wine made in port style) to the Canadian whisky to come up with the blend. Chances are they also added e150a, though that hasn't been confirmed.
    I meant to say sherry is added, not port.
    The make-up is:
    ~91% AP rye whisky
    ~8.5% straight bourbon
    ~0.5% sherry
    "Old guys tend to say it like it is." squire

  10. #30
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    911

    Re: Canadian shopping list help!

    Quote Originally Posted by MtnDew View Post
    Sorry, no more lot 40, the stores in Whistler don't have it. I did see Teeling, though I passed on it since it's supposed to be getting wide distribution in the US and the price will be lower.
    The whiskey selections at Whistler based BC Liquor Stores is TERRIBLE. I was up there a few weeks ago and looked around and found nothing worth buying.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Canadian Club 12 year old or Canadian Club Sherry Cask?
    By velocci in forum Foreign Whiskey
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02-09-2008, 10:41
  2. Need Bourbon Shopping List!
    By CL in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-15-2002, 16:52
  3. Shopping List
    By **DONOTDELETE** in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-24-2000, 17:16

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top