Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Guru

Whisky Advocate Spring Buying Guide - A sign of things to come?

Mostly a malt centric list so posted here. The one American whiskey is also the cheapest on the list, a BTEC at $47 per 375ml (if you can even find it at that price, or find it at all!). Everything else is well north of $100 with the top cost a mere 16,000 pounds...

As the first comment notes it seems to be more of a browsing guide. Only two options under $150.

The winter guide was more American whiskey centric (due to fall releases I suppose) with 8 of 10 selections under $150. The fall guide had 10 for 10 under $150.

Although digging deeper past gudes have certainly had their share of "super premium" whisky.

Would love to see an "alternate" seasonal buying guide for whisk(e)y under say $150-200.
    Last edited by tanstaafl2; 02-11-2014 at 07:29.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Virtuoso

Re: Whisky Advocate Spring Buying Guide - A sign of things to come?

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    Mostly a malt centric list so posted here. The one American whiskey is also the cheapest on the list, a BTEC at $47 per 375ml (if you can even find it at that price, or find it at all!). Everything else is well north of $100 with the top cost a mere 16,000 pounds...

As the first comment notes it seems to be more of a browsing guide. Only two options under $150.

The winter guide was more American whiskey centric (due to fall releases I suppose) with 8 of 10 selections under $150. The fall guide had 10 for 10 under $150.

Although digging deeper past gudes have certainly had their share of "super premium" whisky.

Would love to see an "alternate" seasonal buying guide for whisk(e)y under say $150-200.
    I like that they gave the Bowmore 50yr a 95, but commented points off for price. It must have started at 130 score!

I appreciate that they marked (where possible) how many bottles being released. My issue more than price (don't follow scotch pricing enough to know if this is silly...of REALLY silly sign of the market) is, don't waste my time with something that only 2,000 bottles in the world exist in a buying guide. Review it, promote it, write a story about it....but why bother including in a guide to seasonal buying.

Connoisseur

It gives me something to dream about.
    Richard
    GBS Member rounding out the top 5
    Are you a Whisk(e)y Apostle?

Virtuoso

Whisky Advocate Spring Buying Guide - A sign of things to come?

This list is totally irrelevant to me, though truth be told, I find that the magazine in general doesn't do much for me at all. They publish some nice articles about the industry, but I think they try to do too much. If a price is listed in pounds, it doesn't pertain to me, and there are precious few whiskies I would even consider for a three-digit price. I have no interest in knowing how a bottle that retails for $1000 tastes. In fact, I'd rather not know.

I know not everyone can explore the world of malt in their own backyard the way I can living with a Binny's around every corner. But if WA was all I had to go by, I wouldn't be in the game at all. I find it totally alienating.
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by BigRich View Post
    It gives me something to dream about.
    Gives me something to laugh about.

Guru

What I dream about is the case of whisky I will buy with the same money.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWF View Post
    But if WA was all I had to go by, I wouldn't be in the game at all. I find it totally alienating.
    I completely agree. I let my subscription lapse (after the next issue); sending a comment card to that effect.
    Too snobbish, or snooty, or whatever you may say, to reflect my dissociation from $300 plus bottles ... and up; waaaay up!

Advanced Taster

I've never subscribed to the magazine, but I find the online buying guide on the website to be extremely useful. I sometimes question the direction they move in, but their party line is that they rate whiskey/whisky on merit, not value. I get that, and can respect it. It just means that a good portion of the content they provide does not apply to me, so I am hesitant to subscribe. Though their recent issue on Blends looked pretty cool. One thing I can say, at least: I know exactly where that BTEC Extended Stave Drying Time is available, so I guess I will go pick some up tomorrow. Additionally, I got a bottle of the Peat Monster 10th anniversary for right around $100, so I'm not sure what is going on with the SRP of that one. I also know where to get the Talisker 1985, but I have no interest in grabbing it due to excessive pricing. Also, the pick of Diageo as distiller of the year for 2013 was pretty amusing.

To play Devil's Advocate: Their Winter Buying Guide was priced much more reasonably. The most expensive item on there (that's available in the U.S., anyway) was Redbreast 21, and the majority of their picks were below 100. Admittedly, this is mostly due to the Fall/winter being Bourbon Special Release Season, but they very easily could have put 3-4 stupid expensive limited release whiskies on there if that was what they were out to do.

All that being said, I hate for this to serve as discouragement for folks just getting into the scotch game. For anyone in that boat reading this thread, I would ask you to keep two things in mind: 1.) Ultra-Aged and Ultra-Rare limited Edition Scotch is a millionaire's game. Do not even try to play. You will lose, especially with Scotch Whisky Distillers jacking up prices to get some of the sugar that used to flow into the secondary market instead of their coffers. 2.) If you live near a big city or two, you could spend your entire life drinking scotch whiskies that Whisky Advocate rates 85 and up and never spend more than $100 for a single bottle. Many of these bottles will be less than $60. Amazing scotch doesn't have to cost 5 bajillion dollars a bottle.
    Eric

Guru

There are consolations Eric, I can spend the rest of my life being perfectly content drinking Bourbon and never spending more than $30 a bottle.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    There are consolations Eric, I can spend the rest of my life being perfectly content drinking Bourbon and never spending more than $30 a bottle.
    Also an excellent strategy. Hopefully we aren't nearing an age of the $50 bottle of bourbon.
    Eric