Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 24
  1. #11
    Advanced Taster
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    169

    Re: Whisky Advocate Spring Buying Guide - A sign of things to come?

    Please keep in mind that there are over 100 whiskeys reviewed in the upcoming buying guide, with more than half of them <$100. And a lot of them nice whiskeys. This Top 10 list is less than 10% of the whiskeys reviewed.

  2. #12
    Advanced Taster
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    216

    Re: Whisky Advocate Spring Buying Guide - A sign of things to come?

    I took Mr. Hansell's recommendation and purchased a 375ml bottle of BTEC Extended Stave Drying Time. It was significantly over MSRP @ $63 instead of $47, so hopefully it's good stuff.
    Eric

  3. #13
    Guru
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    2,009

    Re: Whisky Advocate Spring Buying Guide - A sign of things to come?

    Quote Originally Posted by garbanzobean View Post
    I took Mr. Hansell's recommendation and purchased a 375ml bottle of BTEC Extended Stave Drying Time. It was significantly over MSRP @ $63 instead of $47, so hopefully it's good stuff.
    It is quite good. I have had it for awhile and it is the only thing on the list I currently possess! Like most of the BTEC's I am not sure it is $100 whiskey, much less $126, but it is well aged at 15 years and an interesting experiment. Although to fully appreciate the experimental part of the equation one has to plunk down the $47-63 for the "regular" 6 month stave drying time side of the experiment and I was never able to find that particular bottle. Don't think there is a BT mashbill #1 that weighs in at about 15 years that could sub for the regular stave drying time side of the experiment. I suppose BTAC ER 17yo comes closest!

    Of course even the ER 17 isn't $100 whiskey at least at standard retail price...
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

    Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

  4. #14
    Advanced Taster
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    216

    Re: Whisky Advocate Spring Buying Guide - A sign of things to come?

    Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    It is quite good. I have had it for awhile and it is the only thing on the list I currently possess! Like most of the BTEC's I am not sure it is $100 whiskey, much less $126, but it is well aged at 15 years and an interesting experiment. Although to fully appreciate the experimental part of the equation one has to plunk down the $47-63 for the "regular" 6 month stave drying time side of the experiment and I was never able to find that particular bottle. Don't think there is a BT mashbill #1 that weighs in at about 15 years that could sub for the regular stave drying time side of the experiment. I suppose BTAC ER 17yo comes closest!

    Of course even the ER 17 isn't $100 whiskey at least at standard retail price...
    The liquor store I got it from had the Extended and the 6 month Stave Drying Time side by side for the same price. I just figured I'd enjoy the bourbon as is and save myself the extra expense.
    Eric

  5. #15
    Advanced Taster
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    156

    Re: Whisky Advocate Spring Buying Guide - A sign of things to come?

    No problem with their SEASONAL NEW RELEASE buying guide being loaded with high end offerings. Not too much in bourbon world released 1Q of the year.

  6. #16
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    345

    Re: Whisky Advocate Spring Buying Guide - A sign of things to come?

    This issue comes up every couples months or so (typically with the buying guides) and has been discussed ad nauseaum. The magazines purpose is to review whiskey - both every-man and elite whiskeys - and provide interesting articles about the industry. It does just that. It caters to all whiskey nerds, both rich and poor, and is non-discriminatory when it comes to price, meaning that they review everything.

    Yeah, it sucks that you cant afford Black Bowmore or Bowmore 50 year or whatever. Neither can I. I bet John and the rest of the reviewers cant either (fringe benefit of their job is that they get a small taste). But some people can. And just because you can't afford it doesn't mean it shouldn't be reviewed and recommended to others that can.

    One thing that I love above Whiskey Advocate is that it gives you a chance to see $50-$100 releases that whiskey nerds (i.e. the reviewers) think compare to $500-$1000 releases.

    Lets stop putting John and the rest of the crew at Whiskey Advocate on the firing line and just enjoy the reviews/articles.
    Justin

  7. #17
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    528

    Re: Whisky Advocate Spring Buying Guide - A sign of things to come?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dolph Lundgren View Post
    This issue comes up every couples months or so (typically with the buying guides) and has been discussed ad nauseaum. The magazines purpose is to review whiskey - both every-man and elite whiskeys - and provide interesting articles about the industry. It does just that. It caters to all whiskey nerds, both rich and poor, and is non-discriminatory when it comes to price, meaning that they review everything.

    Yeah, it sucks that you cant afford Black Bowmore or Bowmore 50 year or whatever. Neither can I. I bet John and the rest of the reviewers cant either (fringe benefit of their job is that they get a small taste). But some people can. And just because you can't afford it doesn't mean it shouldn't be reviewed and recommended to others that can.

    One thing that I love above Whiskey Advocate is that it gives you a chance to see $50-$100 releases that whiskey nerds (i.e. the reviewers) think compare to $500-$1000 releases.

    Lets stop putting John and the rest of the crew at Whiskey Advocate on the firing line and just enjoy the reviews/articles.
    Well put sir!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Richard
    GBS Member rounding out the top 5
    Are you a Whisk(e)y Apostle?

  8. #18
    Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    2,782

    Re: Whisky Advocate Spring Buying Guide - A sign of things to come?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dolph Lundgren View Post
    One thing that I love above Whiskey Advocate is that it gives you a chance to see $50-$100 releases that whiskey nerds (i.e. the reviewers) think compare to $500-$1000 releases.

    Lets stop putting John and the rest of the crew at Whiskey Advocate on the firing line and just enjoy the reviews/articles.
    Good point, Justin. I can't afford most of the stuff but I still like reading about them, especially when I pick up a "bargain" bottle that compares favorably to the really expensive ones. With few exceptions, I've generally found that there is a law of diminishing returns whenever I've spent more than $100 on a bottle (which hasn't happened often). I usually thoroughly enjoy the whiskey but find myself asking, "Is this really that much better than _____ for what I spent on it?"
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

  9. #19
    Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Jackson, MS
    Posts
    10,578

    Re: Whisky Advocate Spring Buying Guide - A sign of things to come?

    It's just the nature of specialty interest publications the readership of which includes ardent (passionate?) fans of the subjects.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

  10. #20
    Guru
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Metro Detroit
    Posts
    4,983

    Re: Whisky Advocate Spring Buying Guide - A sign of things to come?

    Dolph nailed it.

    I enjoy the magazine and subscribe.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Whisky Advocate Distillery of the Year?
    By tanstaafl2 in forum Foreign Whiskey
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 12-29-2013, 10:53
  2. Interesting Picture in new Whisky Advocate
    By Enoch in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-01-2012, 07:11
  3. Buying Dickel Whisky in The UK
    By scottd in forum Other American Whiskey
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-11-2007, 14:18

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top