Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: The Madvatter strikes again!

And it isn't just ones that you're not crazy about. Granted, I'm not using my WLW for a lot of vatting experiments. I love OGD 114 all by itself; same with Ritt BIB. But I like them together as well. In fact, when I've had a bourbon that I just didn't like much - I haven't had much luck with "improving" it by adding what is missing. Or rather, while it may have improved some, it used so much of something else to do it that I didn't find it worthwhile. I like the juice approach for those
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

It works well with ones you don't like too, but proportions are critical, a few drops either way can make or break the drink. But certainly it works great with "good" whiskeys too.

The reason it works is, the spectrum of flavours in straight American whiskey is actually quite narrow - as many blind tastings amongst experts at Gazebos has proven… The drinks are much more alike than they are different so it's not apples and oranges but more, Golden Delicious and McIntosh and Empire and… (commercial juices are often blends: same logic works in bourbon or rye, bourbon and rye).

Gary

Advanced Taster

I like equal parts AE bourbon and AE rye.

Disciple

After opening another new bottle (ER10) that I hadn't tried before and found it wanting I discovered an read this thread.

I'm now going to purchase a decanter and try vatting bottles that don't hit my "damn this is good" taste buds rather than drowning it in ginger ale or diet coke. I have also found that some bottles don't taste the same as the previous one even if sampled over numerous days.

Plus it gives me something new to try with my favorite hobby.

Questions, what type of decanter do you use (old empty bottle) and what type of vessel do you use for measurements? How long do you let it mingle before tasting?

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by TunnelTiger View Post
    After opening another new bottle (ER10) that I hadn't tried before and found it wanting I discovered an read this thread.

I'm now going to purchase a decanter and try vatting bottles that don't hit my "damn this is good" taste buds rather than drowning it in ginger ale or diet coke. I have also found that some bottles don't taste the same as the previous one even if sampled over numerous days.

Plus it gives me something new to try with my favorite hobby.

Questions, what type of decanter do you use (old empty bottle) and what type of vessel do you use for measurements? How long do you let it mingle before tasting?
    I just use a glass measuring cup with ml. on it,walmart $3, I was also able to get a few older 200ml. J.W.dants from a fellow Sb'er,for my pre-samplers,then if I really like the vat I go on to some old BT bottles, I love these bottles for this purpose. Pretty soon your collection starts growing with all the different vats,and you find yourself wanting these more and more!
    I always start with just my glencairn for trial purposes a little of this a little of that,then if it's good it goes to the 200ml,so on and so on,I really don't think it takes long for the marriage,I've gone back to some of mine and they taste the same as when first married.(IMHO)

Now here's one I just tried on Fri.,I just got me a bottle of the Booker's 25th and it is delicious! However near the end of the pour I was looking at my bottle of Ron Zacapa 23 yr. old, (which has a bourbon like quality to it already),so I said hey what the hell,I put in a few drops,and let me tell you Wow,just fantastic! My drinking buddy agreed.

I still have to say the ultimate one for me so far, is still my 20/20 of PVW20/EC20 that is some of the most fantastic juice I have ever had the privilege to taste.

And as I stated earlier , I made a spread sheet that works great for these vats,you just put in your juice and proof,and % and it calculates the final proof for you and so on, plus you can keep notes on all of them,be glad to share with anyone if they want it.

Vat on!
    Everyday my spirit seems to find its way to the bottom of a glass...... Don

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

I use any bottle, sometimes one partly filled with a bourbon I want to start mingling. I don't use precise measurements, but some people do and therefore use beakers and measured tubes and that kind of thing.

I don't feel resting is necessary but some people do this. I would say that the more whiskeys in the blend, the more resting may help. But I can "tell" right away if a mingle works.

Just start in the glass, start with two or three whiskeys. The key is thinking what each one does and what you want to balance, and how. An strong oily whiskey, harsh on its own, may lend needed balance to a bland whiskey, so logically you use less of the assertive one in the mix. A bourbon heavy on spicy rye can lend savour to a low-rye whiskey, a woody one to one too young and uncomplex.

It's really very simple.

Gary

Guru

Of course any empty whisky bottle will do but I favor a square shape that's comfortable to hold. There are a surprising large number of decanter decanters in various antique shops, or at lest the ones I've been dragged through.

For measuring I use a small plastic lipped pitcher type measure that lists ounces on one side and mils on the other.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    There are a surprising large number of decanter decanters in various antique shops, or at lest the ones I've been dragged through.
    Being dragged through antique shops is something I can really relate too. A small price to pay for peace and tranquility.

Guru

I use these little metal Oxo measuring cups when, and usually try making small mingles (less than 2 oz total) before making something larger. For those, I love the little 2 oz bottles from Specialty Bottle, or I use empty 200 mL bottles (or I've used empty baby food bottles, which work well for something you're not going to have for an extended period). For the larger vatting, I'll use just a pyrex measuring cup. I always use empty bottles for decanters. I like the shape/size of the ETL bottle, and the flat surface is easy to create a custom label for.
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by dSculptor View Post
    I just use a glass measuring cup with ml. on it,walmart $3, I was also able to get a few older 200ml. J.W.dants from a fellow Sb'er,for my pre-samplers,then if I really like the vat I go on to some old BT bottles, I love these bottles for this purpose. Pretty soon your collection starts growing with all the different vats,and you find yourself wanting these more and more!
    I always start with just my glencairn for trial purposes a little of this a little of that,then if it's good it goes to the 200ml,so on and so on,I really don't think it takes long for the marriage,I've gone back to some of mine and they taste the same as when first married.(IMHO)

Now here's one I just tried on Fri.,I just got me a bottle of the Booker's 25th and it is delicious! However near the end of the pour I was looking at my bottle of Ron Zacapa 23 yr. old, (which has a bourbon like quality to it already),so I said hey what the hell,I put in a few drops,and let me tell you Wow,just fantastic! My drinking buddy agreed.

I still have to say the ultimate one for me so far, is still my 20/20 of PVW20/EC20 that is some of the most fantastic juice I have ever had the privilege to taste.

And as I stated earlier , I made a spread sheet that works great for these vats,you just put in your juice and proof,and % and it calculates the final proof for you and so on, plus you can keep notes on all of them,be glad to share with anyone if they want it.

Vat on!
    Bookers 25 yr anniv. and Ron Zacapa 23 yr old rum....? What, are you nuts ? !!! (Just kidding, It was damn god !)
    My whiskey's and I are very good friends....