Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Ever feel the need to "purge"?

My collection of open bottles has been seeming cluttered lately. Some are my standard pours that run from bottom to top(ish) shelf, some I plan to buy again in the future in bulk and keep bunkered for special occasions or for the bourbonocalypse, but many just aren't for me.

I've felt the sudden need to finish most of these open bottles and start over. I just feel like if I keep buying the stuff that will get used regularly, I'll never finish the "little nasties" and they'll just keep hanging around. I don't really have many friends or family that enjoy whiskies and I'm not a big mixer (though I've found that ginger ale and a few dashes of orange bitters fixes almost anything). I'm also not big on waste.

Organized space is at a premium at home (3 young kids and a packrat Wife). I tend to buy 1-2 bottles a week for opening and/or bunkering, but I feel the need to stop buying whiskey for a bit and "power through" the lesser of the open bottles until they're gone to free up some space. Does anyone else ever get this feeling?

Enthusiast

Re: Ever feel the need to "purge"?

Quote Originally Posted by upStomp View Post
    My collection of open bottles has been seeming cluttered lately. Some are my standard pours that run from bottom to top(ish) shelf, some I plan to buy again in the future in bulk and keep bunkered for special occasions or for the bourbonocalypse, but many just aren't for me.

I've felt the sudden need to finish most of these open bottles and start over. I just feel like if I keep buying the stuff that will get used regularly, I'll never finish the "little nasties" and they'll just keep hanging around. I don't really have many friends or family that enjoy whiskies and I'm not a big mixer (though I've found that ginger ale and a few dashes of orange bitters fixes almost anything). I'm also not big on waste.

Organized space is at a premium at home (3 young kids and a packrat Wife). I tend to buy 1-2 bottles a week for opening and/or bunkering, but I feel the need to stop buying whiskey for a bit and "power through" the lesser of the open bottles until they're gone to free up some space. Does anyone else ever get this feeling?
    Yes. Especially when I have a lot of open bottles that I'm not super excited about, plus a lot of sealed bottles that I am excited to open. I try my best to be patient...

Virtuoso

Before (and now) I found SB members that I trust their judgement on what they like because over time I realize my profile matches theirs. With that I limit my unknown purchases to mostly things that I would like or at worst can tolerate. This has helped greatly.

But I do from time to time go into a phase of actively reducing my open bottles and to reduce clutter and space.

Cheers

Enthusiast

Doubt I'll never be in full purge mode, but yeah, I'm trying to work through some of my open bottles, particularly ones I bought in my "try everything" phase - they may not be bad, but they won't be replaced (at least not with one of the same kind). I'm a curler, and have had three bottles at the club for awhile now - a VOB 86 proof, Johnny Drum Private Stock and RR SmB SB. I bring them out after a game and usually they get polished off fairly quickly, but I've either hooked up with more whiskey drinkers or I'm starting to rub off on the ones who didn't used to imbibe, because every night I've been down there lately others have brought bottles along too. Not a bad problem to have, allows for plenty of sampling, but my bottles aren't getting finished. I finally dumped all three into one last night, maybe out of frustration. I'm not sure how they'll taste with a little chance to blend, but at least I've consolidated to one half full bottle, which somehow makes me feel better about it.

Others that are close to finishing - KC (that one I will replace), and some non-bourbons, Ritt BIB (I have several other ryes I prefer) and Glenlivet 12 (in serious need of a mercy killing). If I get rid of all those, plus the 3 I vatted last night, I'll feel better about opening a couple new ones.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Santana View Post
    Doubt I'll never be in full purge mode, but yeah, I'm trying to work through some of my open bottles, particularly ones I bought in my "try everything" phase - they may not be bad, but they won't be replaced (at least not with one of the same kind). I'm a curler, and have had three bottles at the club for awhile now - a VOB 86 proof, Johnny Drum Private Stock and RR SmB SB. I bring them out after a game and usually they get polished off fairly quickly, but I've either hooked up with more whiskey drinkers or I'm starting to rub off on the ones who didn't used to imbibe, because every night I've been down there lately others have brought bottles along too. Not a bad problem to have, allows for plenty of sampling, but my bottles aren't getting finished. I finally dumped all three into one last night, maybe out of frustration. I'm not sure how they'll taste with a little chance to blend, but at least I've consolidated to one half full bottle, which somehow makes me feel better about it.

Others that are close to finishing - KC (that one I will replace), and some non-bourbons, Ritt BIB (I have several other ryes I prefer) and Glenlivet 12 (in serious need of a mercy killing). If I get rid of all those, plus the 3 I vatted last night, I'll feel better about opening a couple new ones.
    I can't believe I didn't consider that. I think there'll be some vatting going on tonight!

Guru

I am a cocktail guy so that helps with some of the bottles that I need to finish up although even that is a slow process. Sprite and ginger ale have also proven to be an excellent way to help some less desirable bottles move on towards their final resting place once they have been tried and are no longer considered a regular sipping bourbon. My problems is that I have too many that I do want to continue to enjoy to make a major dent in the constantly metastasizing whiskey nervosa I suffer from! That said, finding a creative way to share with others also seems like a very noble option and one I use when I can!
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Advanced Taster

While not a full-on purge, I tend to drink a bottle I don't like faster than one I do like after I open it. Example, I powered through a bottle of Old Overholt in 3 days just to get it off my shelf and make room for something else, leaving alone the Blanton's, Baker's, ER, and BT that I had open at the time. Shelf space for open bottles is at a premium in my house due to lack of space as well as those sideways glances from the Mrs. when I open something new to add to it (though she might stop those if I could find some damn OFBB13).

It pains me to think of pouring something out instead of drinking it. I guess I'm just a rip-the-band-aid-off-quick kind of guy. May need to start experimenting with vatting to help the process out.

Enthusiast

As a matter of fact I just did this two weekends ago. I was in a vatting mood. I mixed up the SB blend. Then, looking at my shelf, I saw 4-5 bottles that were sitting below the 1/2 way mark. So, I kept the prettiest bottles (Hancock's reserve and an ETL ) and started dumping leftovers. So this weekend I'll tell you what a Hancock/ETL/ Hudson's Baby and a OWA/Makers/Bernheim wheat will taste like. I'm thinking the #2 concoction will be the better of the 2 and better than the sum of its parts, but that could be wishful thinking
    Bourbon is sunshine held together by water....

Disciple

I feel the need to "purge" weekly but I'm loosing the battle. My garage cabinet bunkers are now two in number and soon I will have to expand to the basement.

Virtuoso

First answer: I work on actively purging whatever I'm in the mood for every night.

Second answer: It's a Catch 22. Good bottles you want to last as long as possible so you can still savor them months from now. Bad bottles you want to get rid of, but why drink a lesser whiskey if you have a cabinet full of whiskey you love?

In the past I'd look to a lesser whiskey when my palate is burnt out but I still want another. Now, though, I just feel like life is too short to struggle through lesser whiskey when you have better options in front of you.
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--