Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. #1
    Taster
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    79

    Rocktown Distillery

    They are the best small distiller in the country. Their Bourbon ranks up with the best from Kentucky and Tennessee. They are even Ralfy approved!

  2. #2
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    387

    Re: Rocktown Distillery

    I'm curious to try their whisky that Jim Murray named US Micro of the Year. Alas, like most of the other high raters, I can't find it anywhere.

  3. #3
    Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Jackson, MS
    Posts
    12,467

    Re: Rocktown Distillery

    Me neither and it's officially available here.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

  4. #4
    Advanced Taster
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    122

    Re: Rocktown Distillery

    Has anybody here had any contact with them? I wonder what their position is on whether or not additives are allowed in non-straight bourbon. I believe the TTB view is that they are not, but a lot of people lately seem to think otherwise. The age requirement for straight bourbon seems like a pretty easy hurdle to get over if they wanted to remove doubt. Wasn't Jim Murray also a fan of Templeton Rye? That said, I haven't had any whiskies that Jim Murray recommended that I thought were bad, although I haven't explored all of his suggetions.

    https://www.rocktowndistillery.com/p...urbon-whiskey/

  5. #5
    Novice
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Little Rock, AR
    Posts
    12

    Re: Rocktown Distillery

    Hey Danz, Phil here from Rock Town Distillery. I'm not for certain what the regulations are, but I can assure you we don't have any additives in our bourbon. It's just corn, wheat, malted barley, water, and yeast. Double distilled, aged in new charred oak. Simple as that.

  6. #6
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Commonwealth of Bourbon
    Posts
    1,160

    Re: Rocktown Distillery

    Quote Originally Posted by phil4100 View Post
    Hey Danz, Phil here from Rock Town Distillery. I'm not for certain what the regulations are, but I can assure you we don't have any additives in our bourbon. It's just corn, wheat, malted barley, water, and yeast. Double distilled, aged in new charred oak. Simple as that.
    Thanks for speaking up Phil, and please know that we appreciate what you guys are doing. Can you shed any light on current distribution?

  7. #7
    Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Jackson, MS
    Posts
    12,467

    Re: Rocktown Distillery

    Hey Phil, thanks for joining the conversation. How long do you age the Bourbon and Rye and in what size barrels? I notice the Bourbon/Rye labels do not include the word 'Straight' so any details you would like to share would be appreciated.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

  8. #8
    Novice
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Little Rock, AR
    Posts
    12

    Re: Rocktown Distillery

    Quote Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
    Thanks for speaking up Phil, and please know that we appreciate what you guys are doing. Can you shed any light on current distribution?
    For the Single Barrel Reserve Bourbon, there's some in Oklahoma, Chicago, Memphis (Poplar Wine and Spirits), Nashville (Red Spirits and Wine) and Arkansas. Soon we'll be shipping orders to New Jersey and Maryland. Missouri is in the registration phase. The order for the UK should arrive in a week or so (it's on a slow boat). Not all our distributors elected to pick it up (Georgia, Florida, Texas).

    Of course, we sell it at the Distillery and we're open 7 days a week for tours and tasting and bottle sales.

  9. #9
    Novice
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Little Rock, AR
    Posts
    12

    Re: Rocktown Distillery

    Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Hey Phil, thanks for joining the conversation. How long do you age the Bourbon and Rye and in what size barrels? I notice the Bourbon/Rye labels do not include the word 'Straight' so any details you would like to share would be appreciated.
    We generally age for a little over a year primarily in 10 and 15 gallon barrels for both the Rye and Bourbon. The Single Barrel Reserve Bourbon is aged a little longer in 15 gallon barrels exclusively.

  10. #10
    Advanced Taster
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    122

    Re: Rocktown Distillery

    Quote Originally Posted by phil4100 View Post
    For the Single Barrel Reserve Bourbon, there's some in Oklahoma, Chicago, Memphis (Poplar Wine and Spirits), Nashville (Red Spirits and Wine) and Arkansas. Soon we'll be shipping orders to New Jersey and Maryland. Missouri is in the registration phase. The order for the UK should arrive in a week or so (it's on a slow boat). Not all our distributors elected to pick it up (Georgia, Florida, Texas).

    Of course, we sell it at the Distillery and we're open 7 days a week for tours and tasting and bottle sales.
    Thanks very much for letting us know. This and the other responses are great information. I will keep my eyes open in Maryland and NJ.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. WT New Distillery
    By mark fleetwood in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-21-2011, 05:51
  2. If you had your own distillery...
    By boss302 in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-09-2008, 12:42
  3. New Distillery
    By wadewood in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 06-18-2006, 03:32

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top