Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

The Iron Triangle of Bourbon

In today's bourbon world, we are increasingly faced with the Iron Triangle constraint. That is, the characteristics of age, proof, and price are becoming hard to find in a single offering.

If forced to make a decision on which two you could have (assuming all three together are not possible), what characteristics come out on top for you?

For me, I'm settling on proof and price. More times than not, I enjoy higher proof offerings that are light on the wallet. Age and proof are not always indicative of quality, but I get more value out of proof than age. A simple example (not completely apples to apples) would be THH and Saz 18. The THH is younger, but higher proof. I prefer it to the Saz 18 in most ways.

Interested in hearing your thoughts!
    Tyler

Advanced Taster

Re: The Iron Triangle of Bourbon

I would go age and price. I tend to add water or ice to bring high proof stuff down to about 100. Too much young whiskey out there to ignore age. Price will always be on my radar until I win powerball. Maybe tomorrow I wont care about price anymore. If thats the case, expect a bottle of something from a hand selected barrel to show up at your door.

Disciple

Id go with price and proof as well.

but, looking at the 6 bourbons I choose to keep on a regular basis here, 5 are age stated. But, they arent high age statements, they are:

6 year HH 90
    6 year HH BIB
    7.25 year Bookers 127 proof
    9 year KCSB 120 proof
    9 year Dickel 103 proof
    and un-age stated OGD114

so they all fall in the 6-9 year range that seems to be my window of taste, and 6-9 year bourbons are still fairly common......for now

Guru

Flavor, proof, price for me, I really don't consider age.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Flavor, proof, price for me, I really don't consider age.
    Flavor cannot be "measured" and is subjective, thus I stuck with the measurable characteristics. You raise a good point, though!
    Tyler

Guru

The Iron Triangle of Bourbon

Proof and price.

Age is just a number baby alright alright.

Connoisseur

Price is always a factor-as in how much do I have in the bourbon budget? But for me I factor proof and age as more important than price. And with a bit stashed away, I can be more selective and maybe spend a bit more per bottle to get the age/proof combo I want.
    They say some of my stars drink whiskey, but I have found that ones who drink milkshakes don't win many ball games-Casey Stengel

Flavor and price. Age and proof contribute to flavor. When looking at label for something I've never tried before, age and proof entice.

Age is nice but flavor and price is what drives me. Some great NAS bourbon available at great prices currently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Connoisseur

Boy, that is a complex question to answer; especially if one allows the fourth component of 'flavor' (un-quantifiable though it is).
    I guess, by a narrow margin over price, I would go for flavor and proof. Here's why I say that...
    Price is certainly a component of my decision to buy or not; but I generally don't get to that decision unless I first expect to satisfy the flavor, then the proof issues. I do like me some barrel proof pours really well; but mainly for the extra flavor I derive. ...And, I more often than not like some age on my bourbons; but only for the flavor that's been added; not for number itself. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!