Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Guru

What "Other American Whisky" are you drinking?

Since I can't find a thread for "Other American Whisky" via Tapatalk, here's a new thread!

I'm sipping on some Charbay R3 (or III) tonight from a sample bottle and this stuff is delicious! Lychee juice cut with skunky weed water - I just can't get enough...

=]b
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Enthusiast

Re: What "Other American Whisky" are you drinking?

Funny you should mention Charbay as an "other" whisky. I was laughing about it until I tasted the R5 aged at lunch (posted elsewhere about how well it went with a Monte Cristo). I don't laugh about Charbay any more.

Guru

What "Other American Whisky" are you drinking?

Harry-

I never took them seriously either until last week when we had an informal get together - this was the spread:

The R3 held it's own in that lineup and even stood out because it has a unique flavor profile and because it is just outright good.
    Last edited by ChainWhip; 04-24-2014 at 22:47.

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Enthusiast

That's what you call informal?

More to the point, I'm not a scotch person, but there are several in your picture that I own and a couple more I covet. The aged R5 I had was good enough that I intend on trying their others. We have a "tasting-for-charity" at a bourbon bar coming up, and I think I may freelance if I've had the charity offerings. Already have the cab ride home set up so . . .

Guru

Sounds like you're set! If you get to try more of the Charbays, I'd be keen to read your thoughts. I recently pulled the trigger on Lost Spirits Umami simply because of how these funky / off-the-wall whiskies speak to me.

Enthusiast

I feel the same way about Japanese scotch (yeah, off thread but it's late). One bottle of Yamazaki and 3/4 bottle of Hibiki convinced me that Suntory's purchase of Beam may not hurt and may, like Kirin with 4R, yield some pleasant surprises. (Now, back on thread) Right after it came out, I bought the Dead Guy Ale whisky. I like their beer so figured I'd help them out. It wasn't bad for a whisky made by a beer company. Certainly, it was better than some of the craft whiskies and lower shelf blends I've bought over the last forty years. Of course, when one figures in price . . . Bad thought, when price is considered, is Seagram's 7 Crown in its current incarnation an "other American whisky"? (Insert the shudder smiley here.)

Guru

There are some great whiskies coming out of Japan & don't get me started on Kirin - they killed off one of my favorite Japanese distilleries

Maybe we should rename this thread to American Craft Whiskies?

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by ChainWhip View Post
    Sounds like you're set! If you get to try more of the Charbays, I'd be keen to read your thoughts. I recently pulled the trigger on Lost Spirits Umami simply because of how these funky / off-the-wall whiskies speak to me.
    If you like the weird ones, the Lost Spirits Leviathan III is solid as well. I liked it more than the Umami when I tried them but both were good. And weird.

Did you try the Charbay S as well? I've been eyeing that one but haven't pulled the trigger yet. It'd be great to get your thoughts.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by ChainWhip View Post
    There are some great whiskies coming out of Japan & don't get me started on Kirin - they killed off one of my favorite Japanese distilleries

Maybe we should rename this thread to American Craft Whiskies?
    Poor Karuizawa. How I miss thee.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Kpiz View Post
    If you like the weird ones, the Lost Spirits Leviathan III is solid as well. I liked it more than the Umami when I tried them but both were good. And weird.

Did you try the Charbay S as well? I've been eyeing that one but haven't pulled the trigger yet. It'd be great to get your thoughts.
    I have a Charbay S sample coming my way so I'll have a better idea soon.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisg View Post
    Poor Karuizawa. How I miss thee.
    It's truly tragic and unfortunately, I'm priced out of Karuizawa now.