Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

"Bourbon" in used barrels

I am pretty ignorant on this subject. Basically, I am looking for a spirit that is Bourbon in profile, only it has been matured in used Bourbon barrels, preferably for 10 years or more. What is such a spirit called, American Whiskey?
    Last edited by Andre28; 04-16-2014 at 16:19.

Connoisseur

Re: "Bourbon" is used barrels

Call it Scotch. At least some Scotch's are so aged.

Re: "Bourbon" in used barrels

Quote Originally Posted by Andre28 View Post
    Edit: Title should say "In", not "Is"
    I fixed that for you Andre28.

Cheers! Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Thanks Joe.

Richnimrod, which scotch would you recommend that is made with 51% corn ?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Andre28 View Post
    Basically, I am looking for a spirit that is Bourbon in profile, only it has been matured in used Bourbon barrels, preferably for 10 years or more. What is such a spirit called, American Whiskey?
    What prompted the question? Has someone recommended such a whiskey to you or are you trying to settle an argument? Why not just drink bourbon if you want a whiskey that is bourbon in profile and is 10 years old?
    I've never tried GTS with any sort of soda. Maybe I'm missing out; but I'm OK with that.

Guru

What about some Mellow Corn, or something like that?

Quote Originally Posted by smknjoe View Post
    What prompted the question? Has someone recommended such a whiskey to you or are you trying to settle an argument? Why not just drink bourbon if you want a whiskey that is bourbon in profile and is 10 years old?
    Well to me, aging in new barrels is an "aggressive" way of doing it. That is why I think, with some special exceptions, Bourbon doesn't really flourish at great age. (It is all relative of course, but lets compare to scotch for arguments sake). You get the results quicker with new barrels. Spirits done in used barrels on the other hand, need longer, but the results can be some extra smoothness and more complex character.

This is my line of thinking anyway, it could be completely flawed, but I do think something can be said for using used barrels. A 15 year old Bourbon that has been sitting in an ex-makers mark barrel would be something I want to try.

Guru

The Parker's Heritage Collection 2011 release was a ~10yr. bourbon finished in used cognac barrels. You probably won't find them on shelves though. I also think there may be some Canadian whiskies that fit your criteria, but I don't know anything about them really. There are a few guys around here that know a lot about those that may chime in.
    Last edited by smknjoe; 04-16-2014 at 16:42.
    I've never tried GTS with any sort of soda. Maybe I'm missing out; but I'm OK with that.

Guru

Mellow Corn and to a lesser extent Early Times somewhat fit your parameters but both are less than ten years old. Come to think of it both together are less than ten years old.

However, if age is a primary consideration there are a number of Canadian brands aged in reuse barrels for more than 10 years.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

If mellow corn is 100% corn I am not sure if that is for me. I do like the Bourbon profile with mostly corn and rye or wheat, but If I have the chance I will track those down.

I can get the PHC here but I think it is the 2012. Is that worth a look?

Edit again: I lied, can't get it!
    Last edited by Andre28; 04-16-2014 at 17:19.