Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Administrator in exile

Re: Remedial Cigars 101 (aka no question to goofy)

Smoke 'em if ya got 'em
    Simplicity is the essence of universality - MK Ghandi

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Yessir! I'll be ringing in 2010 with an AF Hemingway tonight! Looking forward to it!
    Cheers!
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

im in the market for a small humidor, something holding less than 25 cigars would be fine. priced at less than $50 would be ideal. can you find something decent in the range? if so, does anyone have a brand or retailer they recommend?
    Last edited by foxflyer5; 05-21-2010 at 11:23.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by foxflyer5 View Post
    im in the market for a small humidor, something holding less than 25 cigars would be fine. priced at less than $50 would be ideal. can you find something decent in the range? if so, does anyone have a brand or retailer they recommend?
    If you're looking online, check out JR Cigars or Cigars International.
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog

thanks, ive been doing some research online, but im heading to NC in a couple weeks, so i hope to make a stop at one of the JR Cigars outlets.

Guru

Cool Re: Remedial Cigars 101 (aka no question to goofy)

Quote Originally Posted by foxflyer5 View Post
    thanks, ive been doing some research online, but im heading to NC in a couple weeks, so i hope to make a stop at one of the JR Cigars outlets.
    I went to the one in Statesville a couple of years ago. What a strange place. Most of the store is like the biggest junk emporium you could imagine. But the cigar shop is in an enclosed section of one end of the store and it is very nice. They have hundreds of selections plus almost everything else cigar-related.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Enthusiast

I have been to the one in Burlington, NC and in addition to a great selection of cigars, they have a great lounge where you can smoke cigars, drink excellent complimentary coffee, and meet interesting like-minded people.

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by MurphyDawg View Post

3) Is there an alternative to a humidor for someone who may only want to have 3-4 cigars around, but doesnt smoke often enough to use them quickly/doesnt have a good smoke shop locally??
    Ziploc bags work. Be careful not to get any water on the cigars. You might be tempted to sprinkle some water in the bag to keep the cigars moist if they are in cellophane, but that risks mold.

4) Are all the sizes of a line (e.g. The Punch Gran Puro Line) the same (like as in makeup) except for the size?
    Some lines have a mixed-filler cheap cigar where they make use of leftover cuttings. They are usually a lot cheaper, but use the same tobacco as the long-filler cigars. Mixed-filler probably smokes faster than long.

6) Can you suggest any good online cigar retailers, as I am in a bit of a bind, being there are no good smoke shopes within 40 miles (I have searches)??
    I've used JR Cigar for over 25 years, maybe 30 (mail order before the Internet). When they don't have it, I go to Famous Smoke Shop. JR's catalog write-ups are funny and educational. I've had pretty good luck with their bundles and their store brands or exclusive packages, but sometimes I've been disappointed (e.g., Flor de Baloney). JR Dutch Auctions are also addictive and I have run out of storage space for cigars as well as bourbon.

Advanced Taster

I always go to cigar.com , cigarsinternational.com , and cigarbid.com
    Life is too short to drink bad bourbon and smoke bad cigars.

Virtuoso

So I purchased a new humidor that will be here in a few days (my old one was garbage). I plan on seasoning it with two Boveda 84% packets (which takes 14 days).

Problem is, I also just purchased a box of Oliva Serie V thanks to a deal that was too good to pass up. I take it that this box of cigars will be sealed in plastic somehow. If so, how long will the sticks inside be OK?

Thanks.