Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Disciple

Remedial Cigars 101 (aka no question to goofy)

Alright I am sure there are other people out there looking for a friendly primer in the art of cigar appreciation, I for sure would like to know. I was searching around the web before it struck me: I have a friendly, knowledgeable group I can ask already. So I am gonna fire away with all the questions I have been wanting to ask, and please feel free to pitch in and help me where you can.

1) Where did the term "herf" come from?

2)Though I am looking for a punch cutter all I have at the moment is a give-away guillotine. So my question is, where is the proper point to make the cut?? I think I may have cut my (only,heh) cigar to far in, and it may have hindered the experience.

3) Is there an alternative to a humidor for someone who may only want to have 3-4 cigars around, but doesnt smoke often enough to use them quickly/doesnt have a good smoke shop locally??

4) Are all the sizes of a line (e.g. The Punch Gran Puro Line) the same (like as in makeup) except for the size?

5) What do natural & maduro refer to, and what is the difference between them?

6) Can you suggest any good online cigar retailers, as I am in a bit of a bind, being there are no good smoke shopes within 40 miles (I have searches)??

I am sure I will think of more questions as the day progresses but this is a good start. Thank you all in advance. I am sure you will be a big help.

Tom (Cigar Newbie) C

Administrator in exile

Re: Remedial Cigars 101 (aka no question to goofy)

No idea, but it can be used as a noun, synonymous with the word cigar, or as a verb, usually to describe some cigar get-together.

2)Though I am looking for a punch cutter all I have at the moment is a give-away guillotine. So my question is, where is the proper point to make the cut?? I think I may have cut my (only,heh) cigar to far in, and it may have hindered the experience.

Cut it just above the end of the cap, about 1/8" from the end of the cigar, to keep the wrapper from unwinding on you. I use a punch cutter most of the time as it is almost fool-proof.

) Is there an alternative to a humidor for someone who may only want to have 3-4 cigars around, but doesnt smoke often enough to use them quickly/doesnt have a good smoke shop locally??

Well, humidors come in all shapes and sizes, even for 10 or fewer cigars. That said, you can use something as simple as a piece of tupperware with a humidifier inside. Be sure to open it every week or so to allow the air to exchange. This helps to prevent mold.

4) Are all the sizes of a line (e.g. The Punch Gran Puro Line) the same (like as in makeup) except for the size?

For the most part yes, but some manufacturers will play with the blends of tobacco slightly for different sizes of the same cigar line.

5) What do natural & maduro refer to, and what is the difference between them?
    Natural and Maduro are words that describe the style of wrapper your cigar has. In general, natural wrappers are a light to medium brown color, while maduros are more of a dark-chocolate color. This is by no means universal, but generally your maduros will be the heavier, more full-bodied smokes.

6) Can you suggest any good online cigar retailers, as I am in a bit of a bind, being there are no good smoke shopes within 40 miles (I have searches)??

Try the following:

www.cigar.com
    www.cigarsinternational.com
    www.thompsonscigars.com
    www.cigarbid.com - A cigar auction site. Sometimes you can pick up great deals on boxes and 5-packs. Beware, as it is quite addictive and you could soon end up with more cigars than you have room to keep. Time to build a coolerdor

Hope that helps some.

Guru

No idea, but it can be used as a noun, synonymous with the word cigar, or as a verb, usually to describe some cigar get-together.

I thought I'd be a wise-ass and come up with the definitive answer via a Google search. Little did I know...

I tried searching on "cigar herf origin". The first hit (of 33) convinced me that I was in over my head. (Esp., see ref. to "Herf Alpert and the Tijuana Brass".)

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Disciple

Natural and Maduro are words that describe the style of wrapper your cigar has.
    Can one assume that this applies to the sun-grown and sumatran designations as well?

TomC

Administrator in exile

Not really, as I believe you can make any wrapper into a maduro, you just have to ferment it longer. I'll look this up in a couple cigar books I have and post more info.

Disciple

Okay good deal. It feels like the first day on the bourbon forum all over again:

<font color="orange"> What does it all mean?!?!? </font>

LOL
    TomC

Disciple

Keeping Spending in Check.

Beware, as it is quite addictive and you could soon end up with more cigars than you have room to keep. Time to build a coolerdor

The one thing that I know will help keep the cigar spending for sure in check is that a large part of my leisure budget is already devoted to something else I am enthusiastic about (hmmmm. . . I wonder that THAT is. . .), and with upcoming releases of Stagg, ER17 (yay there will be more, and fall Bday bourbon (not to mention eventually FR SB) I dont see spending on that front curtailing anytime soon. . . .

Tom ($$$ ) C

Disciple

More \"goofy\" questions. . .

Okay a couple more questions I thought of:

1) What should I look for not make sure the cigar I want is in the proper condition at the retail outlet?? I'd rather not pay for duds.

2) Althought I seemed to do alright in my limited experience, is there a "proper" way to smoke a cigar, to get the most of the experience?

Thanx kindly for the knowledge,
    TomC

Bourbonian of the Year 2009 and Virtuoso

Re: More \"goofy\" questions. . .

Hello MD.....go to the cigarafficionado website. They have lots of info on cigars, ie ratings, etc that I have found to be very informative. This past summer they ran a series of acticles called "Cigars 101". Go on their site and do a search for Cigars 101. It answers questions about terminology, how to properly light a cigar, etc. Better yet, come out to Vegas for this years annual cigar show sponsered by Cigar Afficionado magazine. They give out lots of great cigars and pour great whisky (ey). Hope this helps.

Doubleblank

Apprentice

Re: More \"goofy\" questions. . .

Okay a couple more questions I thought of:

1) What should I look for not make sure the cigar I want is in the proper condition at the retail outlet?? I'd rather not pay for duds.

That's a tough one. I would suggest find a reputable dealer and stick with him. Its really about how the cigars have been stored. Since the cigar craze has died down, it seems more likely to run into a retailer who doesn't care well for the cigars. They aren't selling as many, so many cigars are still around from the mid-90's -- not a problem unless improperly stored.

Squeezing cigars don't tell you much, (unless they "crunch"!) But at minimum they should look good without any blue or green moldy stuff. Beyond that, you've got to trust your tobacconist.

I bought at a well known place recently (not my regular vendor) that was grossly over-humidified. Hard to light and never did get it to burn well. And they even had a wooden indian outside. Thems the breaks.

The moral: Avoid dime-stores and many liquor stores. Look for a real smoke-shop, preferably one that was in business before the fad. Failing that, there are several good online retailers -- my favorite is two guys smokeshop.

www.2guyssmokeshop.com

I'm sure others will have recommendations.

I hope this helps.

-AJ