Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Disciple

Re: Remedial Cigars 101 (aka no question to goofy)

I know Jeff does, and I am pretty sure I had heard herf used that way before, although I can't seem to remember where.

TomC

Disciple

Re: Yuppers

It seems to my that it would only make sense, especially in the case of perfectos, as they are easier to smoke.

TomC

Administrator in exile

Re: Unraveling question

There have been a couple of occasions when I have completely removed the wrapper and smoked the cigar with only the binder. Not ideal, and pretty ugly to boot, but it was a decent smoke.

Administrator in exile

Tom,

Perfectos are expensive to manufacter, as they take a very experienced, and higher paid, cigar roller to produce. And the number of perfectos that can be produced in a day is much smaller than if the same roller were rolling say coronas.

Disciple

Well its nice to know that at least the extra price incurred by me is at least partially justified. Why do you think it is that much harder to make them?

TomC

Administrator in exile

I don't know, as I have never rolled a cigar, but my understanding is that new cigar rollers train for long periods of time before they are ever put into production and then only on the roll that they have learned. By the time you are rolling perfectos you probably have mastered most of the other cigar types for your company. I have read somewhere that rollers rolling perfectos probably have 10+ years of experience at this point. It is a true art form.

Administrator in exile

Re: More \"goofy\" questions. . .

Very nice post! I will only part ways with you on the moistening part, as every time I try it I seem to get an uneaven and burred cut. Almost like the blade is tearing the wrapper instead of cutting it cleanly.

Disciple

Ah, a shortage of a companies most important asset, properly trained people.

TomC

Advanced Taster

Very nice post! I will only part ways with you on the moistening part, as every time I try it I seem to get an uneaven and burred cut. Almost like the blade is tearing the wrapper instead of cutting it cleanly.

What you need is a SHARPER cutter. If you have a razor-sharp cutter, it will be problem.

Guru

That all sounds wonderful! I wish I had had something like that to help me when I was smoking. I was enjoying it even though I haven't smoked in about 5 years.

Thanks, Tim