Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Taster

Re: More \"goofy\" questions. . .

... And they even had a wooden indian outside.
    So, what's up with the wooden Indian thing? My local tobacconist has one too.

Taster

I worked one season as a youngster at a TinderBox. Got myself the beginnings of an education about tobacco there.

Simple advice for those new to cigars: relax, go slow. Remember, you are trying to taste the smoke, not the cigar. The best advice given to me by the veterans was to "sip" the smoke from the cigar. Appropriate advice, I'd say, for bourbon enthusiasts. You want to burn tobacco as slowly as you can without allowing it to go out. You are controlling the rate of combustion with air flow. The slower/cooler you burn it, the less acrid and the more open and accessible the flavor is. You don't need billows of smoke to enjoy the flavor of fine tobacco.

I'm a pipe smoker, but all this talk of stogies has me jonesing for one. I'm gonna pick one up for Friday night.

Here is the origin of the word "herf"

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/alt....f&hl=en&rnum=10

Please do not order cigars from Thompson cigars. If you want to order cigars from reputable sources, try:
    www.jrcigars.com
    www.holts.com

You will find the best prices on run-of-the-mill cigars here and MSRP on hard-to-finds like Fuente.

The Boss

Please do not order cigars from Thompson cigars. If you want to order cigars from reputable sources
    The way this is worded, it almost sounds like a libelous plug for someone's competing online business. Of course, I may simply misunderstand your intent. Would you care to tell us why we shouldn't do business with Thompson?

Guru

It could be for several reasons, but the greatest being they are overpriced on their premiums. I just finished a relationship with them and will never order from them again even though I have a gift certificate that would pay the biggest part of their charge for a box of my favorites. I made the mistake of joining their "250 Club" where after buying a total of 250 cigars you get 10% of your purchases rebated in store credits. After reaching and exceeding the 250, and never getting any notification of it, I called and asked them if I had made it and they affirmed. I asked where my credit was and they assured me it had been mailed. I didn't have it so I asked if they would just send me a box of my choice, subtract the amount from it and charge my credit card for the balance as it was a super premium brand I was requesting. I received the cigars a week or so later and found that the entire amount had been charged to me with no mention of the credit. When I called them, I asked that they credit it directly to my account and they said they had to send me my certificate to use on a future purchase. Needless to say, I am no longer a member of the "250 Club" and the certificate is in my filing cabinet in the "what was I thinking" file.

As for the plugs on cigar sites, there are tons out there that offer better prices and better customer service but I won't volunteer any of them as everyone seems to have their own favorites. I would respond to a PM though if someone wanted my opinion of a good site.

The Boss

I have no problem with a links to online shopping Dane, provided they aren't posted by the proprietor. I just want to know why Charter doesn't care for Thompson. If his/her reasons are similar to yours, well then there it is.

If as a member you know of a reputable place of business with good prices, than share by all means.

Sorry, not my intention. Thompson's is like the California retailers that sell Stagg for $150 a bottle. They are opportunistic and generally scorned within the cigar community. The quality of their professed "premium" smokes is oft lackluster and their cigars are stored in improper conditions. Often the consumer will receive dried out smokes.

I have no stake in any cigar business whatsoever. I am just a fan. The info I have presented has been garnished from several years of cigar BBS. Holts and JR Cigars are generally have excellent customer service, quality product and good storage facilities. Their reputation in the cigar community is untarnished.

The Boss

Well there it is! All I could ask for, and then some.

Carry on.

Novice

Re: Remedial Cigars 101 (aka no question to goofy)

1) Where did the term "herf" come from? <font color="red"> Not sure on that one, it's been debated over and over and I can't decide on which answer I like.</font>

2)Though I am looking for a punch cutter all I have at the moment is a give-away guillotine. So my question is, where is the proper point to make the cut?? I think I may have cut my (only,heh) cigar to far in, and it may have hindered the experience.

<font color="red"> On a cigar you have a head and a foot. The foot being the lit end and the head being the banded end. You want to cut just at the point where the head is rounded into the side of the cigar. A sure fire way to get a good cut every time until you find the right spot is to lay your cutter flat on the table, put the cigar in the cutter pressed firmly against the table and cut. It works great if you're using a standard guillotine cutter. </font>

3) Is there an alternative to a humidor for someone who may only want to have 3-4 cigars around, but doesn't smoke often enough to use them quickly/doesnt have a good smoke shop locally?? <font color="red"> Yes. Rubbermaid, or Tupperware is the way to go. A small one will keep cigars in great shape for as long you want to keep them. An old aspirin bottle or film canister with a small piece of damp sponge makes a decent humidifier, but be careful not to over do it with the sponge. For long term aging involving a few or many boxes, an igloo cooler or any some other brand. At one point I had three 60 qt. coolers full and they worked very well for me. </font>

4) Are all the sizes of a line (e.g. The Punch Gran Puro Line) the same (like as in makeup) except for the size?

<font color="red"> They try to keep every vitola in a line as close to each other as possible. Given that the smaller sizes have much less filler, it's difficult when you're dealing with a hand rolled product. For the most part, every line in every brand has one size that stands out from the rest. Hoyo de Monterrey has the Rothschild, Saint Louis Rey has the petite corona, just to name a couple.</font>

5) What do natural & maduro refer to, and what is the difference between them?

<font color="red"> A maduro is a wrapper that's fermented. Bundles of them are wet, put in crates and allowed to ferment, then the crate is emptied and the contents are rotated to get the top leaves on the bottom and the bottom ones moved to the top, and that's repeated until the whole lot has been in every level of the crate. That gives them a good uniform color for the batch. The process also turns them dark and brings out the sweetness of the leaf. The only drawback is that it takes a fairly thick durable strain of tobacco to stand up to all that handling, so they are at times prone to burn problems. A natural leaf is not put through all this, also there are many more options available to the manufacturer. Cameroon, Ecuadorian sungrown, Connecticut Shade, Corojo, Criollo and some indonesion as well.</font>

6) Can you suggest any good online cigar retailers, as I am in a bit of a bind, being there are no good smoke shopes within 40 miles (I have searches)??

<font color="red">www.jrcigars.com, Smoke all, mdcigars.com and Mr. Bundles.com. These are my favorites Jr. and Mr. Bundles in particular. Cigarbid.com can be fun but be careful </font>

I am sure I will think of more questions as the day progresses but this is a good start. Thank you all in advance. I am sure you will be a big help.

I just joined, and if all this has already been answered, I'm sorry. But I hope it helps.