Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Disciple

Re: More \"goofy\" questions. . .

Hey man thanx for the heads up!

TomC

Disciple

Round Three!

1)I noticed that "perfecto" cigars (like Hemingways) are closed at both ends. are you supposed to trim both ends before lighting or leave the head as is?

2)I am new to this, so I ask, what are they basic varieties I should try (for example in Bourbon its good to try a wheater if possible and a rye from each distillery: Beam, Brown Forman, HH, BT, Four Roses, Wild Turkey etc etc)? I figure there is an equivalent in Cigars, I am just not sure what it is. I figure this could serve as a jumping off point for further explorations.

3) What are the cat & dog brands (pretending to be fancy) I should avoid? I have a rather limited cigar budget and really dont want to be duped into inferior product. . .

Thanx yet again,
    TomC
    Attached Images Attached Images

Administrator in exile

Re: Round Three!

Tom,

When lighting a perfecto, simply light the foot, no trimming needed. They are called perfectos because they light perfectly every time. This has been my experience as well. I'll try to help you on brands in another post when I have more time to think about it.

Bourbonian of the Year 2009 and Virtuoso

Now that the cigar shortage is largely over, most of the "cats and dogs" have disappeared or are in the "close out" bin. Your idea of trying several cigars from each important producer is a good one. I'd include each of the following in my comparison list. Some are from the Domincan Republic (known for milder cigars) and some from Nicaragua and Honduras (known for fuller bodied smokes).

A. Fuente - makes mild to bold cigars
    H. Upmann - mostly medium bodied
    Macanudo - mild to medium
    Padron - stronger smokes...be sure and splurge for a "1964 Aniversary"
    Romeo y Julieta - get a regular and one of their Vintage line
    Hoyo de Monterey - get a regular and an Excalibur

This would give you a nice mix of flavor profiles from which you could determine your own likes and dislikes. Personally, when I want a milder smoke, its a Romeo y Julietta Vintage V....for a stronger smoke, its the Padron 1964 Aniversary. Larger cigars produce a cooler, more flavorful smoke. I like coronas and larger sizes.

I'm going out to watch the pros play today at the Tour Chanpionship here in Houston. After talking cigars....I'll have to stop on the way there and pick up a smoke.

DoubleBlank

Disciple

Much Obliged. I didnt want to ask for a suggestions outright (you know, "I am a newbie, what should I try. . ." type post) but I know that a good selection would make for a nice primer so I would understand wht I am looking for at least.

TomC

Disciple

Last trimming question for now. . .

Alright one more trimming question before I drop THAT subject. Where do you trim a torpedo? If you were to trim it where the cigar starts to straighten out, you would lose 1/2 your herf! I figure about 1/2 way up the incline, but would someone clarify!

TomC

Apprentice

Re: Last trimming question for now. . .

On torpedo's (pyramids, perfectos, etc.) I usually sacrifice about 1/4" - 1/2" for my cut. Be aware that, if your final opening is to small, tar will quickly collect there and alter the flavor. I know some guys who will recut their cigar about half-way through just to remove the build up.

Administrator in exile

Tom, I cut torpedos about 1/8 to 1/4" from the point. It is a smaller opening, but if it is a decent cigar you shouldn't notice and draw problems (backs? get it...draw-backs )

Novice

I agree with jeff 1/8 to 1/4 inch. I haven't found a torpedo that i didn't enjoy. I believe if a company decides to go through the trouble of making this type of cigar they usually do it right. With this size cutting you should have no problem with draw, but hell if you want more flow cut it bigger Anyway just enjoy it. That is the whole point isn't it?

Novice

Re: More \"goofy\" questions. . .

Cigarbid is a very good source for anyone that wants to buy a hand full of domestic cigars. They are usually in good shape and a good variety is always available. They offer samplers that have a nice mix of different cigars, so you can discover what you like without breaking your Bourbon bank. If you are curious about a certain brand you can always ask the experienced folks you trust here before you buy. There are methods to truely enhancing the pleasure of smoking a good cigar but it's really all about what YOU enjoy. I can tell you without doubt that a great Bourbon and a great cigar are near flavor/sensory perfection for a member of the human species. I will be glad to help anyone with cigars and I hope you can do the same for me with Bourbon. It would be my pleasure.