Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: Whistlepig CEO is whiskey idiot and proves it

True about the containers, I think it was Seagrams who experimented with aging whisky in box shaped containers many years ago. The thought was square shapes could be stored more efficiently but what they discovered was barrels are more waterproof and when you have to move stock around barrels roll better than boxes.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Advanced Taster

Not that this changes anything, but just as an interesting side note, Dave Pickerell told me a few months ago that WP is now sourcing from inside the US, too. He wouldn't say where, but, duh.

Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by risenc View Post
    Not that this changes anything, but just as an interesting side note, Dave Pickerell told me a few months ago that WP is now sourcing from inside the US, too. He wouldn't say where, but, duh.
    All Whistlepig labels still say 100% rye. As far as I know nobody was making a 100% rye in the US 10 years ago. So if they are sourcing in the US, then they are lying about the 100% rye (or perhaps using up old labels?).

Guru

Wade is correct. What I find more intriguing is Dave claimed originally he searched the World to find the best rye whisky and found it in Canada. So is he saying now they are using second best?

Disciple

Don't know what the numerous whiskey blogs are writing about WP but in the past eight months the popular opinion of WP has taken a series of hits on SB, IMHO.

Advanced Taster

Well, I should be more clear -- he didn't say that what is on the shelves now contains US-made 100 pct rye, only that WP is now buying it. My understanding was that this was most likely a forthcoming release.

Guru

That's the way I took your point Clay, sourcing isn't bottling, yet did he say it's 10 year old 100% rye?

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by TunnelTiger View Post
    Don't know what the numerous whiskey blogs are writing about WP but in the past eight months the popular opinion of WP has taken a series of hits on SB, IMHO.
    Anecdotally, Whistlepig seems to have a pretty good name and buzz about it. Interestingly, it caught some chatter when it was featured in an episode of Breaking Bad, with a few of the DEA agents having pours. Look, I know WP will engender some resentment among enthusiasts, but I think it is a good product, albeit a bit overpriced. And sure the WP tales can be a bit much at times. But IMHO, even if someone were to pick up a bottle of WP for the buzz factor alone, anything that gets people out there to give Rye a chance is a good thing.

Guru

Don't know nuthin' about bottlin' no American made rye but I did find the WP label interesting.

My bottle of 10yo WP purchased when it first hit Georgia a couple of years ago says nothing about being finished in bourbon barrels. Instead it says "WhistlePig Farm Shoreham Vermont" on the left side of the label. Also still found a few like that on the shelf today that were delivered in October 2013.

Whistlepig old bottle.JPG

But I also found presumably newer bottles of the 10yo that do say they were finished in bourbon barrels.

WP 10yo new bottle.JPG

As best I can tell all the 11/111 WP and the Boss Hog both say they are finished in Bourbon barrels. No idea what that means about the 10yo version.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Connoisseur

Yes, my recent bottle of the 10yo has the yellowish label that mentions bourbon barrels.