Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: Whistlepig CEO is whiskey idiot and proves it

Quote Originally Posted by jeffrey r View Post
    Yes, my recent bottle of the 10yo has the yellowish label that mentions bourbon barrels.
    Don't think the label color is any different. Just one with flash and one without! But the wording is definitely different.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    That's the way I took your point Clay, sourcing isn't bottling, yet did he say it's 10 year old 100% rye?
    No, he wouldn't go into any more details. My guess -- and this is a complete guess -- is that they are planning to release something younger, to pave the way for the release of their own rye, which they say is now just a few years away (obviously, if and when they do start distilling, they're not going to sit on the barrels for 10 years). They might even try a Solera-process rye, blending their stuff with something sourced, a technique Dave has championed at Hill Rock.

Guru

Or what Brown-Forman did with Woodford. It's not a bad idea and makes more sense to me for micros who are building their brands on sourced product to blend in their own rather than bottle it young. I think that's how I would approach it.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Disciple

Between issues with neighbors and questions about where they get their whiskey, Whistlepig seems to be building their business the wrong way.

Guru

No reason why they can't build a distillery elsewhere, Vermont shares a border with Canada.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    It's not a bad idea and makes more sense to me for micros who are building their brands on sourced product to blend in their own rather than bottle it young. I think that's how I would approach it.
    Very good point, and most people would support this approach - IF the "CEO" was upfront and honest about it.

Its no secret start-ups don't have 10 year old anything to sell, but to pretend (suggest, hide the fact, play with words, whatever you want to call it) you distilled it when you clearly did not is borderline FRAUD and not worth spending my hard earned money on such products. The more transparent about the product a micro is, the more likely they are to have support from the very people that can be the key to their long-term survival.
    "Old guys tend to say it like it is." squire

Guru

I don't think long term survival is in the plan for most of them. The goal instead is to get just popular enough to sell out to a major house or distributor. Look at Stranahan, Jefferson, Pogue and Bulleit.

Guru

Well there's 4 minutes I won't get back. I feel stupider for having watched that (and disappointed that Bloomberg would have people who are that clueless about an industry or product interview someone on that industry or product; although reminded why I don't watch Bloomberg for my news )
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

He's probably just referring to the fact that Canadian whiskey is generally aged in used bourbon barrels. I doubt they're doing any finishing or anything other than dumping the barrels and bottling it. And I doubt that it ever gets anywhere near Vermont except if it's sold there.

Connoisseur

I forget where I saw this but I think they are selling a 10 year Vermont version that is 102 proof