Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: A good Irish whisky?

I've always been a fan of Black Bush. Richer than the regular offering, pretty sherried, I think. Reasonably priced, too.
    There are two ways of getting home; and one of them is to stay there. - GK Chesterton

Connoisseur

I've really enjoyed the RB as most here have pointed out, other than that the age stated Bushmills have been among my favorites like the 10 and 16. I have not tried the 21 yet but I hope to soon. An odd, but fun, pour is the Jameson Black Bottle. It came out not too long ago and is their answer to black bush. I go back on forth with it so I'm not sure if I really like it or not but it's certainly unusual.

Disciple

Powers John's Lane and Redbreast CS those should be readily available Green Spot if you see it.Really seems to be a consistent list of recommendations here so thinning the herd shouldn't be hard when making a choice.
    "To deny our own impulses is to deny the very thing that makes us human."
    Larry Wachowski

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by WAINWRIGHT View Post
    Powers John's Lane and Redbreast CS those should be readily available Green Spot if you see it.Really seems to be a consistent list of recommendations here so thinning the herd shouldn't be hard when making a choice.
    I am also firmly in the PJL camp. For a bit of a value pour I like the Powers Signature Release which is younger but still has some of the PJL characteristics for usually $20 or so less. The Green Spot is nice but the real champ of that line (so far) is the Yellow Spot. Unfortunately that is currently only available from north of the border or across the pond. I think I still prefer the PJL but it is very good in its own way. The Green Spot has come in to Georgia at a pretty spendy $60ish which is similar to the cost of PJL but the Powers Signature Release is as good or better to me for less and seems to be pretty readily available.

I also concur with the Tyrconnell finished whiskey, especially the Madiera. The regular 10yo is fairly unremarkable though.

Of course none of them stand up to the Teeling Silver Reserve 21yo Sauternes finished single malt!
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Disciple

I may have to try the Tyrconell for myself,I have seen it around just hadn't heard much about it and I'm always up for something new and unique.
    "To deny our own impulses is to deny the very thing that makes us human."
    Larry Wachowski

Virtuoso

Echo PJL and Redbreast CS - also like the Black Bush for an economical option. Bushmill 16 and 21 are nice finished whiskies if you are looking to spend a little more. I also thought the Jameson 12 or Black Barrel were good options, but of the two I'd opt for the 12 year for just a few more bucks.
    Mark

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    I am also firmly in the PJL camp. For a bit of a value pour I like the Powers Signature Release which is younger but still has some of the PJL characteristics for usually $20 or so less. The Green Spot is nice but the real champ of that line (so far) is the Yellow Spot. Unfortunately that is currently only available from north of the border or across the pond. I think I still prefer the PJL but it is very good in its own way. The Green Spot has come in to Georgia at a pretty spendy $60ish which is similar to the cost of PJL but the Powers Signature Release is as good or better to me for less and seems to be pretty readily available.

I also concur with the Tyrconnell finished whiskey, especially the Madiera. The regular 10yo is fairly unremarkable though.

Of course none of them stand up to the Teeling Silver Reserve 21yo Sauternes finished single malt!
    Damn spendy on that Green Spot. $45 here and I'm a player at that amount, even if I think that's a bit high. If it gets much higher than that though forget it.

Taster

I've just lately been enjoying Tullamore Dew Phoenix. Its a limited edition, non chill filtered, bottled at 55%ABV. Its a blend but it has more pot still whiskey in it than the TD 12yr, which I also like. So if you like RB I think you'll like this. The high ABV gives it lots of heat. I find that the flavor still holds up well with a good dollop of water to calm it down a bit. I've tried quite a few Irish whiskeys and so far this is easily my favorite. As mentioned, the Powers Signature is good, but quite a bit sweeter and doesn't have quite as much character as the Phoenix.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by WAINWRIGHT View Post
    I may have to try the Tyrconell for myself,I have seen it around just hadn't heard much about it and I'm always up for something new and unique.
    I don't think you'll be disappointed if you do.
    Eric

Guru

It's worth a go.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.