Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Moderator and Bourbonian Of The Year 2014

Re: Canadian Whiskey Tasting Glass?

I usually prefer a Gelncairn, but am starting to prefer these: http://www.amazon.com/6416-Vinum-Sin...hiskey+glasses
    However those Canadian glasses could make great glasses when I want a bourbon on ice

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by camduncan View Post
    I usually prefer a Gelncairn, but am starting to prefer these: http://www.amazon.com/6416-Vinum-Sin...hiskey+glasses
    However those Canadian glasses could make great glasses when I want a bourbon on ice
    Just got a set of those and really like them. I was told Riedel dropped the "bourbon" glass from their line in favor of these.
    They say some of my stars drink whiskey, but I have found that ones who drink milkshakes don't win many ball games-Casey Stengel

Quote Originally Posted by camduncan View Post
    I've been seeing more and more people use these at tastings. Need to pick up a set.

Enthusiast

I picked up one of these glasses a couple of months ago. I've tried a fair number of pours with it, and honestly cannot find anything that I prefer in it over a rocks glass.

I find that it tends to accentuates the alcohol and bitterness at the expense everything else. Maybe by design do to Canadian stuff generally being lower proof and that being a positive trait?

Does anyone have a pour that they enjoy significantly more in these glasses than others?

Advanced Taster

I use a Glencairn if I am tasting, and a rocks glass for Old Fashions and Manhattans. Otherwise these Canadian Glencairns are my go to glass for regular pours. I like the size and weight. Plus you get a lot of the benefits of a standard Glencairn but in a larger glass.

FYI I picked up both my standard and Canadian Glencairns at Crate and Barrel. They sell them individually, so you are not stuck with a whole set if you don't like them.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by ramblinman View Post
    I picked up one of these glasses a couple of months ago. I've tried a fair number of pours with it, and honestly cannot find anything that I prefer in it over a rocks glass.
    I find that it tends to accentuates the alcohol and bitterness at the expense everything else. Maybe by design do to Canadian stuff generally being lower proof and that being a positive trait?
    Does anyone have a pour that they enjoy significantly more in these glasses than others?
    Did a Canadian whiskey tasting with friends to which I took both my regular Glencairns and Canadian Glencairns. All four of us agreed immediately that the regular Glencairns did a much better job of concentrating the nose. Compared to bourbon, the much lighter Canadians need all the concentrating they can get, IMO. I only use the Canadian glasses occasionally when I want a little ice in my bourbon.
    If God made anything better than bourbon he must have kept it for Hisself.

Advanced Taster

Im using a glencairn set now, have a set of 2 of these maple leaf etched coming in 2 days. I'll Report my results. Pretty tough to beat the glencairns, but that one posted above, Clavius' usually one of these linked text, I assume is the same shape without the heavy glencairn base so those I would buy. Not much out there that allows me to sniff and smell so intensely without getting any burn. Also worth researching shapes and how the burning alcohol effect tends to stick to the edges of a glass. See the NEAT glasses for pics with their theory of design. Is anybody using those? I almost boughtt a set of 2 for $40 last week.
    Last edited by jmj_203; 05-03-2014 at 21:36.

Enthusiast

Had a 4-pack of the "Canadian Clencairns" in my hands today, but ultimately put 'em back on the shelf.
    I've spent too much this week already.
    "You Can't Buy Happiness, but you can buy Whiskey!"

Enthusiast

It's a new week, so I went back and grabbed those Canadian glasses (along with a bottle of Weller 12). Planning to try them out tonight.
    "You Can't Buy Happiness, but you can buy Whiskey!"

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I just discovered this thread and my first thought was this.