Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

BOTM 3/14: Maker's Mark

I know that Maker's Mark has been the BOTM before, but its been a few years. Considering the recent news about the expansion at MM, I thought it would be a good time to revisit it as BOTM. We've also had many new members join since 2006. I'm also running out of ideas for BOTM, and can, and will use any excuse I can to come up with one. But seriously….

As I stated in the "What Are You Drinking" thread, I had a pour of MM last night. It's amazing how often I forget about MM until someone mentions it, or some news come out about it. I think that at least a few other folks here might experience the same thing. I don't often have a pour of Maker's at home, but I will have one sometimes when I'm out. A lot of places seem to only have what I call "the usual suspects". Those are, MM, Beam, WR, and/or maybe a couple of others. If that's the case, I'll almost always pick MM.

FWIW, I do like MM. It was my gateway bourbon, and I'll always have at least one bottle in my cabinet.

That's about it from me. I won't bother with any tasting notes. Have fun, happy posting, and let's hear what y'all have to say about the "Red Head".

Cheers! Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Connoisseur

Re: BOTM 3/14: Maker's Mark

I like MM about as well as severaL others I drink regularly; however, Maker's costs rather more dough, so I don't often have a bottle at home. I do, also find it to be a reliable pour when visiting a poorly stocked bar/restaurant. Most have MM, along with Beam white label, and JD, and often that's about it. Not a bad dram; but basically overpriced for how it hits me.... just my humble opinion.

Connoisseur

With no competition from Weller OWA or Weller 12 anymore, Makers starts to look pretty good. I actually picked up a bottle not too long ago. It was the first in years. I ended up liking it quite a bit. I think next time I'll get the 1.75L. Some places have that for $45. With all the bs we hear about the old S-W distillery, I'm reminded Makers was heavily influenced by the original Old Fitzgerald. I would like if the expansion meant the gold top MM comes back.

Virtuoso

I like it. Having said that, I don't think it's worth the price.

Connoisseur

Makers is really nice. It's my go to anywhere outside the home because, as you mentioned, it's about the only option at most places. I never buy it for the home, though, simply because I can buy it at restaurants and bars, and what I DO buy for home isn't found anywhere except liquor stores.

Connoisseur

Chicken or the egg discussion: Do bars and restaurants stock mostly Makers because people order mostly Makers, or do people order mostly Makers because bars and restaurants stock mostly Makers? My guess is the latter amongst bourbon aficionados like those here, but perhaps the general public would prefer Makers because of the familiarity...

Novice

Just picked up a bottle of MM while I was in Phoenix. Really enjoy the stuff, very nice with a hint of spice and not a lot of burn on the back end.

If I could pick it up for 18.99 instead of the 27.99 here in Boise, it would be a regular in my rotation.

Connoisseur

It's about a year too young for my tastes, but my wife loves the nose on it. Just don't drink it too quickly, as the harsh young elements will take over. I tried to finish a glass fast on the way to a snowman contest in the big Northeast storm a couple of weeks ago, and that stuff just got downright mean.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ebo View Post
    I like it. Having said that, I don't think it's worth the price.
    Ditto. They do a great job of marketing (and I think their "ambassador" program is pretty cool), but all of that marketing costs money.
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Guru

what I am hoping is that once they get done with the expansion and adding the other still, is that 5-6 years down the road they have enough stock on hand that they can add another line or expression to their offerings. Right now, it is just MM and MM46. Who here wouldn't buy a MM6BIB, or just a MM 100? I would.