Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

BOTM 12/14: Four Roses Single Barrel

This is another bourbon that hasn't been the BOTM for a while. That, and the fact that I myself have been delving into Four Rose's products a bit more in recent months, prompted me to go with FRSB as the BOTM. Yeah, I know. I've heard it from a number of members here. "The avowed Weller/wheater lover is getting into FR's products? What's the world coming to?" What can I say? Tastes and perspectives change. It's a long story that I won't go in to….., for a change.

FWIW, here's my take on things. There's lot's of tastes/flavors going on. To me, it's a little fruity, and a little floral, plus there's some sweetness, and spiciness too. It might seem like a jumbled mess to some folks. Maybe there's too much going on? Sometimes bourbons that have a lot of different "things" going on, are hard for some people to get a handle on. I know that I've thought that myself about a few things in the past. But in the case of FRSB, somehow it works, and in a very good way. The different flavors tend to counterbalance each other very nicely. IMHO, FRSB is one solid bourbon. I'll go as far as to say that I think FRSB is a bourbon that might be considered as being a good value pour. I know the price can be a bit different depending on where you live. It may be a bit higher in some areas, but I've been able to find it pretty easily from $26 to $32 a bottle. Let's hope that stays the same for a while. (Fingers crossed)

Cheers and happy posting.

Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Connoisseur

Re: BOTM 12/14: Four Roses Single Barrel

Excellent choice Joe.
    With all the enthusiasm here for the Private Selection SB's of the various recipes it can sometimes be easy to forget the simple standard bearer of the single barrel line. I am certainly guilty of this, always chasing a new recipe.
    It's flat out a great bourbon at a great price (locations varying of course). My tasting experience with this one match up pretty closely to your description. It's a staple for me (in theory, see above comment about chasing the 10 recipes too much). In honor of this thread, I shall rectify the previous statement and enjoy the standard SB for a while.
    Steve

TT: Everything goes better with a little OGD114.
    squire: Amen...............

Connoisseur

A staple for me, and one above all others that I have turned other people onto with rousing success. It is delicious neat, and it is the best bourbon IMHO on the rocks. It just works wonderfully when sitting around with friends, in a big ol' rocks glass with ice, sipping away. A bargain at around $30, and a good value higher than that within reason.

Virtuoso

^^^What Joe said^^^! Great bourbon, unique profile, fairly priced and always available! I always have a bottle open at my house, and even keep a stash of it at the girlfriends place.

Connoisseur

I certainly envy you folx who are picking FRSB at less than $33. Around here it's not easy easy to find it much under $10 more than that. Too Bad! It is a very reliable and nicely balanced pour. Joe's mention of the complexity is accurate. It is. ... And it worx!
    I'd keep more of it around if it was in the low-thirty-dollar range. I still scoop a bottle once in a while, because it so well-made, and always taste the same, or very similar. Not easy for a single barrel product. I appreciate the attention to the profile shown in this brand.

Connoisseur

I can still find it for $29.99 and you can't do any better for the money. Lots of complexity without any off notes. Red fruit, caramel, vanilla, spices, and it really sips like it's quite a bit lower than 100 proof. If it was the only bourbon I could get I would be content with that.
    Andrew

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by fishnbowljoe View Post
    able to find it pretty easily from $26 to $32 a bottle.
    Lucky. Its $47 with tax here in Utah and you have to special order it to get it, ask me how I know.

Agree with the others have said: consistent pour not normally found in a single barrel product; flavorful with lots going on but approachable, balanced, and easy to drink. Excellent value if you can get it for $40 or less. Nice enough to feel like you're having something special and priced so you can have that something special every day.

P.S. - the other side of the control state coin is being able to get limited items like ECBP and PHC8 at retail and not at the outrageous gouging prices folks on here post, so that helps take the sting out of the stuff like FRSB that are a bit on the high side.
    Last edited by miller542; 12-05-2014 at 07:57.

Connoisseur

Love, love, love FRSB. Great value, great bourbon.

My local started carrying it a few months ago for $37.10...The last time I dropped in it was $33.95
    The liver is evil. It must be punished...

Disciple

It is a great bourbon for the low $30 range. I haven't bought a bottle for over a year because I have been able to find FR BS for $45 (on sale) to $50. I find the value and flavor of the FR BS to be compelling enough to justify the $20 price differential. However, this may shift as FR BS prices increases continue to outpace FR SB prices.

Advanced Taster

For my taste and my budget, absolutely one of the top 2 of the readily available products on the shelf today. This is the bottle that sent bourbon from something I enjoyed frequently to becoming a real enthusiast.