Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

BOTM 6/15: Knob Creek

Well, I've finally come up with a BOTM. After a lot of time spent going over the BOTM archives, and a bit of deliberation, I came up with a BOTM that I think is somewhat befitting. As most of you know, Jim has been working on some major changes to SB. It's a very big step, and historically worth noting. In going over the BOTM archives, I saw that Knob Creek was the very first BOTM, done ten years ago this very month. So, I thought KC would kinda fit as a look back at the history of SB. At the same time, it can also serve as marking a step going forward in the evolution of SB.

Below is what Jeff posted ten years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by jeff View Post
    Bourbon of the Month, June 2005:

Knob Creek

You've asked for it, and here it is, the first Straightbourbon.com bourbon of the month!

Post your comments, tasting notes and anecdotes here. This thread will stay pinned throughout the month of June, at which time another bourbon will be chosen for the follwing month...etc.

Sound off!

A little bit from my perspective on the BOTM; Knob Creek has changed a bit to me over the years. Or maybe I should say my tastes may have changed some over the years. I bought a bunch of KC from a bar many years ago for a discounted price because they wanted to get rid of it. I pretty much drank it back then with Coke. It was my go to "mixer". I've now began to appreciate KC more as a sipper too. Nine years old, 100 proof, what can I say? Yes it may have the Beam profile, but like others, maybe I too have begun to appreciate the differences in the profiles of products from different distilleries a little more. Hell, my niece got married last Saturday, and at the reception, I opted for KC over MM. Yeah, I went with something that wasn't a wheater. Just goes to show ya'.

A big thanks goes out to Jim (AKA "The Boss") for providing us this great place to share our love of bourbon, and for all the hard work he puts in updating, and keeping the sight going. Here's to the last ten years of BOTM,s and also to the next ten years.

Cheers and happy posting! Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Disciple

Re: BOTM 6/15: Knob Creek

A fitting BOTM to mark this point in SB history. Good idea Joe.

I don't yet have a lot to say about this one. My first few tastes of it were in bars and I never thought much of it so I never purchased a bottle. After a recent eye opener with a different bourbon that I had always thought I didn't like, I decided to give KC a fair shake by bringing a bottle home and drinking it in a familiar environment. While it hasn't opened my eyes the way the other one did, it is certainly more enjoyable than I remember from those first tastes. Very Beamy, which is to be expected, so if I'm in the mood for that, it hits the spot more than on a typical day. I have a ways to go with this one and am glad to have the bottle for further "testing".
    Steve

TT: Everything goes better with a little OGD114.
    squire: Amen...............

Virtuoso

I like KC very well; though it's not what I'd call a bargain in these parts. I always have at least one around. ...And, it's usually open, and I pour from it on occasion.
    From Beam, I prefer Booker's, or even KC 120; but I hafta say, it's about as close to a frequent pour as anything I have..... Maybe behind OF Signature and EWSB. So, there you have it... I guess I do like it very well!

Guru

I find KC just ok but for few dollars more KCSB is just over the top delicious.

Apologies for semi thread jacking.

Enthusiast

I think I have only had one bottle so far and that was some months back so I should probably try another. I almost grabbed one yesterday as a matter of fact but went for some cheaper bottles instead. I really want to try the SB too so maybe I will hit up the local whiskey bar and just try a side by side of each one night before I consider a full bottle of either.

Advanced Taster

I just happened to have bought a bottle earlier today, because I finished off my last bottle last week. I am not much on tasting notes but this is one of my favorites. Slightly sweet, nice burn, long finish, what more could I ask?

Advanced Taster

I've drank two bottles of KC and I first thought it was way to woody. I learned to appreciate it a bit more with the bottle open up.

the SB version is on a different level.

Connoisseur

My introduction to "quality" bourbon and to this day it is still one of my favorites. It, and it's slightly more potent sibling, Baker's, are two of my essential bourbons.

Disciple

My short on KC is that it's a dependable bourbon, still readily available, and at a fair price. In todays environment, that's saying a lot.

So, if you're a fan of the Beam profile (and I happen to be), KC is a easy drinking, old fashioned bourbon rye forward, balance of age and proof.

It's not flashy, but at 9 year of age and 100 proof, it doesn't have to be!

Guru

I've always liked Knob Creek and cannot think of a more appropriate choice for this anniversary BOTM.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.