Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

BOTM 4/14: Weller Special Reserve

Sorry gang, I know I'm late......again.

I know this one has been the BOTM before, but it's been a few years. A lot has changed since 2008. We have many new members here. Revisiting Weller SR might be good for some of them to read some notes, and maybe buy a bottle or two and give it a try. Or, maybe not.

To me, Weller SR is a decent bourbon. I'm not saying it's a great pour, but at the same time, it isn't that bad either. I got to thinking a bit. We often times discuss "value pours" here on the site. I think this one kinda gets lost in the shuffle because there are other good values out there to be had too. I would consider Weller SR a fairly good value pour. The price is okay, as is the taste. Yes, the taste might be a tad light, and not as rich or full bodied as it's cousins OWA and Weller 12, but, I'm a fan.

The nose has some of that burnt cookie, caramel/pecan thing going on. Some vanilla too. These are also present in the taste. To me, it's a bit light and sweet, but not overly so. Nice at the start, and in mid palate, but I will have to say that the finish is lacking a little. Still, over all, it ain't too bad. And yes, I/we know that it lost it's 7 year old age statement a while back. Please, let's not go there here.

Anyway, let's here what you all have to say about Weller Special Reserve.

Thanks, Cheers, and Happy Posting.

Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Connoisseur

Re: BOTM 4/14: Weller Special Reserve

I've got a handle hidden away somewhere, now I've got a reason to find it. WSR used to be my go-to golf flask bourbon. Versatile.

Novice

I really enjoy this pour nice caramel and a little spice on the back end. Bottled at 90 proof but not a lot of burn for a $15 bottle.

Connoisseur

I'll add my voice against the grain here, too. I LIKE WSR! The nose takes a backseat to very few in it's price range, the palate is good for a lower proof offering and it's reliable. I always have a bottle open on my shelf.

Guru

This one sorta hangs back in the house while the others are out at the lawn party greeting guests. No, not what it once was but that can be said about a number of others. Solid Bourbon, certainly worth trying.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Virtuoso

Totally solid. I picked up a bottle of this to stash at my in-laws' a couple of years ago to drink since I knew they'd go for others. It's liquid candy and drinkable to a fault. I think it's still a damned good value and worth a try for anyone who hasn't had it before.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    -Brian-

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."
    -Agent Kay

Enthusiast

I need to pick me up one of these.I'm always eyeballin' it at the store,but never pull the trigger,may be about time. At the Binny's meet up,they had a private select of this stuff ,it was my third ranking tastiest bourbon of that night.
    Everyday my spirit seems to find its way to the bottom of a glass...... Don

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mosugoji64 View Post
    Totally solid. It's liquid candy and drinkable to a fault. I think it's still a damned good value and worth a try for anyone who hasn't had it before.
    Pretty much. I have a couple bottles I keep around for "easy" drinking. I prefer it over Maker's (not that Maker's is bad.)
    I've never tried GTS with any sort of soda. Maybe I'm missing out; but I'm OK with that.

Enthusiast

I remember picking up a bottle on a whim a couple months ago, but it looks like I finished it sometime between then and now. It wasn't particularly memorable, but I enjoyed it enough to reach for it on a regular basis. I brought it out a couple times when we had friends over for various events, and no one complained. It is a bit light, and a bit sweet, but I enjoy that from time to time. The finish is a little short, but I think it works for what it is. If I sit down to enjoy a glass of whiskey, this is not going to be high on my list. If I am talking to friends while preparing dinner, or playing cards, it is a pretty solid choice. I know "inoffensive" may not seem like high praise, but I think it is complimentary when we are talking about a cheap 90 proof whiskey.

I know Joe said not to go there, but right now I am drinking a glass of the 7 yr old, and it is delicious. I may have another one after this.
    "Unless it survived a tornado, weathered a snow storm in Scotland, and then spent a year on boat before returning home, I'm not really interested."

Disciple

Not a regular pour but it is ok for what it is. I prefer WL12 and OWA. I do have some WSR 7 year which is pretty good. Even for the price, there are other options that I prefer.