Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

BOTM 5/15: Jim Beam Bottled In Bond

Well, it's that time again. I guess I can stop trying to forego new products for the BOTM. (see my original post in the MMCS BOTM thread) There's already been some discussion about JB BIB on the boards. Reviews seem somewhat mixed, with more comments on the negative side.

I had a somewhat "interesting" experience with Beam White a long, long time ago, and that's mostly why I haven't been much of a Beam fan. After having read some comments on the boards by smokinjoe and others about Beam, and trying a couple of their products, that might be changing some now. We'll see. Time will tell. Anyway…..

As for JB BIB, I don't know what to think about this one. I bought a bottle just because of the price, and the fact that I like BIB's. I've tried this one a few times, and I just can't seem to get a handle on it. It somehow seems to taste a little different every time I try it. That's not a bad thing though. Over all, I'd have to say I like it. I won't post any nosing or tasting notes because of my inability to figure it out. However, and FWIW, I will say that I don't notice the "normal" Beam profile/yeastiness in the BIB near as much. I'm pretty sure I'll buy another bottle or two.

Cheers and happy posting! Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Virtuoso

Re: BOTM 5/15: Jim Beam Bottled In Bond

Agree with Joe a lot. I'm puzzled by this one.

My tasting notes, posted on the "Bonded Beam is Back" thread, are here - http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...is-back/page13. JB BIB seems to "fit" between the 86 proof JBB (extra aged, formerly Double Aged 8 Yrs) and the 100 proof KC (9 yrs). I'm not sure I need all three, but I can't really decide which one to drop, if any. After I finished my first (and so far only) JB BIB, I figured I'd not buy another for awhile as I already have "ample" JBB 8yrs and extra aged as well as some KC I bought on sale so don't really need more Beam branded products. Then, a couple of nights ago, I missed it. I can't figure out why I would miss it since, as I just said, I have plenty of similar Beam products on hand to supplement my non-Beam holdings which I tend to like better anyway.

Hence, the puzzlement - it's not outstanding, but it's not pedestrian; it's not typical Beam, but it's not un-Beam; it doesn't (to me) have any sharp edges like KC sometimes does, but it's not bland. I really look forward to comments by others on this.

Disciple

FWIW, I find it over-priced. I like that Beam/Suntory has made the decision to support a BIB for their line. I appreciate that! So, I want to like it.
    I also think that 100-proof is close to the right presentation for JB's mashbill and yeast. I do think it's still under-aged for the mashbill and yeast; but if one ages it another few years, you get another of JB's products, such as KC or JB-8. So, I guess it has it's niche. I just find it hard to pay $5 more for it than other BIB's that are as good, or maybe even better to my taste buddies.

Connoisseur

I'm another that likes bonds. All the stores I see that have this want $25. Maybe I'll find an airline bottle or free store sample one day.

Apprentice

This will be my first BOTM I take part in. I'll have to go pick a bottle up.
    I really like bonds so I'm hoping I enjoy this one.

I think this goes for $20 locally. Is that much? That's were OGD is. EWBIB AND OFBIB are $15. VOBBIB is $13.

Connoisseur

$25 locally here, drinking the last 3 fingers of my first bottle tonight and I enjoyed it very much. I will be adding it to my bunker when I go on my next buying binge but (hopefully) that is a long way off as I have plenty bunkered to tide me over for quite a while.

Enthusiast

I recently picked up a couple of 750 ml JBBIBs for $21 each. However, I won't be tasting them anytime soon due to my open bottle policy. They're going to have to wait their turn in line.

Also, Beam needs to rethink the paper strips glued to the bottles. That adhesive isn't enough to keep them on for long. Mine were already detached by the time I arrived home.
    Last edited by ToEOrNotToE; 05-03-2015 at 21:21.
    SCOTT: I found this on Ganymede.
    TOMAR: What is it?
    SCOTT: Well, it's um... It's
    green.

Connoisseur

This has become a favorite of mine. I like the Beam style anyway, but REALLY like the new JBBIB. It hasn't a fantastic mouthfeel and is the right combination of wood and sweetness. I also don't find any off notes at all, which I find at times in VOB BIB, and it doesn't have that sourdough bread taste I get sometimes in the HH BIBs I can get (JW Dant BIB and EW BIB).

I think JBBIB is a winner!

Apprentice

Picked up a bottle 19.99 before tax.
    Haven't sampled it yet but the first thing I'm noticing is there is no dsp ky #. I thought that was common practice for a BIB?

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by alstevens View Post
    Picked up a bottle 19.99 before tax.
    Haven't sampled it yet but the first thing I'm noticing is there is no dsp ky #. I thought that was common practice for a BIB?
    This has been discussed. It was an oversight and will likely be addressed on the next release.