Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Taster

Re: BOTM 3/14: Maker's Mark

Makers is one of my favorites, I always have one in the cabinet. First bourbon I started drinking.

Before my wife and I got married, I found out that her great-grandmother, and more of her family was from Lebanon, KY. I thought, "sweet!, we need to go visit Maker's Mark...err, I mean your family!" That trip did happen a couple times, and started a nice tradition of visiting distilleries in KY.

So Maker's Mark has a place in my heart. I sometimes have a straight pour of MM at home, but mostly use it to make my most favorite mixed drink: A Kentucky Redgrass. Maker's and cranberry juice. Man that is great on a hot day. For some reason that drink does not work for me with a rye based bourbon, or other whiskey in general. But Maker's, and any of the Weller's make a mean Kentucky Redgrass.

And yes, I participated in the Ambassador program. It was enjoyable.

Disciple

I hate to say it but MM is something I order not buy,every time I do have a pour when I'm out I'm actually shocked at how much I like it but pricing is off base for what it truly is IMHO.I will openly and honestly admit that I much prefer the M46 by a long shot and have bought several bottles and it is definitely a bold step in the right direction at least for me it is.
    "To deny our own impulses is to deny the very thing that makes us human."
    Larry Wachowski

Virtuoso

MM was my gateway bourbon. It's where I started. I purchase a bottle maybe once a year to revisit it.

Connoisseur

I used to say Makers was too expensive too. Back a few years ago, OWA had a 7 year age statement, 107 proof, a couple bucks cheaper than MM, and not too hard to find. I'm playing devil's advocate. What other decent wheated bourbons are out there nowadays? The only ones I can think of are Old Fitz BIB, and Larceny (only in some states). It's debatable. I'm not talking about dusties or limited release super expensive stuff.

Taster

MM was the first bourbon I ever bought, and it happened to coincide with their short-lived attempt to dilute the product. Even so its still my favorite and something I keep along with Weller 12 for everyday. It seems a bargain to me compared to the crazy prices even a newbie like me can notice for the many sourced craft bourbons out there.
    http://whiskeylist.blogspot.com/ downloadable spreadsheet of over 2000 North American Whiskies

Enthusiast

Makers is kind of like meatloaf for me. I'm never really excited about the prospect of having it, but once I have some I always like it, and I'll probably have seconds. Always keep some on hand even if I, like others here, am more likely to order it in a bar than to pour one at home. It's a good reliable pour and around here it's one of the few wheaters we can reliably purchase. All that said, I definitely like MM46 better.

Connoisseur

So funny for me to see this as BOTM as a relative newbie to the site because this was my first ever bourbon years ago. Since last year I've been doing nothing but try to expand my tastes which means I'm drinking everything BUT Maker's. I revisited it a month ago at a party and didn't care for it, but to be fair I was drinking from a plastic cup and there was a lot of smoke from a fireplace in the air so I couldn't even get a proper nose on it.
    Looks like it's time to head back to the store for another sample bottle!

Connoisseur

I like MM, but I've never bought a bottle of it. If I'm out for dinner or just cocktails, and don't feel like drinking beer, it seems as though I always order MM.

I had my first taste of 46 while vacationing over the holidays and liked it quite a bit, but I think it is overpriced.
    The liver is evil. It must be punished...

Connoisseur

MM flipped price points with OWA out here, last year.

It used to be roughly $22-25 for MM, $18.99 for OWA. Now it's reversed..... and OWA isn't even on shelves at all now. So MM is suddenly a lot more attractive.

That said, like most others... It's my go-to at poorly stocked bars, but not really something I buy for home. I was gifted a bottle of M46 over the holidays, and find that VERY enjoyable.

Enthusiast

We keep minis of MM on hand. It's our go-to bourbon for any recipe calling for "whiskey" (because it clashes with nothing) and to offer newbies who find BT or JBB too "hot". I first tasted it in the mid-1970s. I've always thought it was good, not great, but sweeter and lacking the cinnamon/grain bite that I like. But then, it's a wheater so I'm not surprised. When we're out, I'll usually choose it as a change of pace unless the bar has something I really want to taste. My home wheaters are OFitzBIB and Larceny.