Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Taster

Re: BOTM 3/14: Maker's Mark

I like MM, nice sweet and smoot but lacking finish. For the price will grab a bottle of FRSmB or BT instead. I do have bottle of MM46 is better but for that price bump will buy FRSB or WTRB better.

Enthusiast

I keep a bottle of M46 at home, and used to keep MM on hand as a good mixer, but lately Larceny has taken that spot. Like most everyone else, I do tend to fall back on MM in restaurants that suggest JD when I ask what kind of bourbon they have behind the bar.
    "You Can't Buy Happiness, but you can buy Whiskey!"

Enthusiast

It seems that a lot of you guys out here have stated that MM was your gateway into the bourbon world, I wonder why?,I don't mind it,and do not have a bottle on hand currently,it's been a while since I visited the MM or the MM46, but I do believe price was always a factor, and at a bar or restaurant, I will definitely choose MM over JD.When we visited the distillery last fall,they offered a white dog as one of their samples,that was pretty good,and their pulled pork sandwich wasn't bad either.
    Everyday my spirit seems to find its way to the bottom of a glass...... Don

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by dSculptor View Post
    It seems that a lot of you guys out here have stated that MM was your gateway into the bourbon world, I wonder why?
    Heavily marketed, widely available, affordable price point, inoffensive flavor profile, mixes well with most things. It has a classy enough reputation that it gets listed in cocktail names and descriptions. This reassures the consumer it is a quality product, because you wouldn't advertise a Makers Mark Manhattan unless Makers Mark was good, right?

I'll have to re-taste it tonight, but I have always found it to be enjoyable, but just nothing special.
    "Unless it survived a tornado, weathered a snow storm in Scotland, and then spent a year on boat before returning home, I'm not really interested."

Connoisseur

It is my go to in restaurants. Goes well with a lot of food. I have MM46 a lot at home. I think if they aged it 10-12 years and bottled it at 100 proof it would blow away anything else available today....

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by weller_tex View Post
    It is my go to in restaurants. Goes well with a lot of food. I have MM46 a lot at home. I think if they aged it 10-12 years and bottled it at 100 proof it would blow away anything else available today....
    +1, or at the very least, at 10 years and 100 proof, it would stand up well to the SB blend.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by dSculptor View Post
    It seems that a lot of you guys out here have stated that MM was your gateway into the bourbon world, I wonder why?

I think it is successful advertising, for the most part. You want a soda....you order a 'Coke' without thinking. You need to blow your snout.....you ask for a 'Kleenex'. You dont know squat about bourbon but want to try one, what is the first name you (as an inexperienced drinker) think of? Makers Mark. Plus, it is a very generic and agreeable taste profile that kind of eases people into the bourbon world......by that, I mean, it is not a polarizing drink.

Quote Originally Posted by weller_tex View Post
    I think if they aged it 10-12 years and bottled it at 100 proof it would blow away anything else available today....

I dont know if it would blow everything else away, but i guarantee it would be the next thing I brought home if they did that. I am hoping with their expansion, combined with the eventual downtown of the bourbon market, that they will expand their offerings and possibly put out something like this.

Connoisseur

Trying side by side 2003 MM vs current was a real eye opener. 03' was much sweeter, balanced, and in the tradition of wheated bourbon. The stuff today is too much ethel forward for a 90 proofer.
    Bourbon only requires a glass.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by bad_scientist View Post
    It's about a year too young for my tastes, but my wife loves the nose on it. Just don't drink it too quickly, as the harsh young elements will take over. I tried to finish a glass fast on the way to a snowman contest in the big Northeast storm a couple of weeks ago, and that stuff just got downright mean.
    I think they make a mistake of serving new make with their standard at the distillery. It makes the need for more age apparent as the flavors are too similar when they should be night and day.
    I am a fan of M46 and usually have a bottle on hand. The finishing does a lot to round off the rough edges and add some depth.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    -Brian-

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."
    -Agent Kay

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by brettckeen View Post
    Trying side by side 2003 MM vs current was a real eye opener. 03' was much sweeter, balanced, and in the tradition of wheated bourbon. The stuff today is too much ethel forward for a 90 proofer.
    I agree the current stuff could use another year in the barrel..but I still like it.