Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Virtuoso

Re: BOTM 3/14: Maker's Mark

Somebody mentioned having a mini bottle and it occurred to me that I had one sitting around from Xmas. I haven't had a pour in a year or so, and I was pleasantly surprised by it last night. It's still too young and too expensive, but for a few minutes I stopped worrying about that.

Maker's was my first bourbon love, for the reasons mentioned above. Living in WV, especially before some of the new laws passed these past few years, has been pretty desolate for beer and liquor. JB, JD, and MM were the only options most everywhere. Consequently I have a lot of great memories surrounding the Maker's Mark product. I got married with a flask full of MM in my jacket pocket, and drank a few additional bottles throughout that day I took a bottle of 46 to the Greenbrier for our first anniversary. It's "the one that brought me" so maybe I should dance with her more often.

Advanced Taster

This was the first bourbon I liked years ago, but I had a pour last night at Red Lobster and felt it was mostly unremarkable. I don't find it to have much depth of flavor and the finish is rather short. Pricing for this is what keeps me from buying it more often (or at all, really). When I'm in the mood for a wheater, I'd go with OWA/WSR/Larceny and save a couple bucks.

Apprentice

It's one of the few bourbons you may actually see on the shelf in a pub over here. It's also one of my favourites in a whiskey sour (that or wt101).
    Actually sank a few MM neat the other night and got a mate of mine on it too.

There's one shop locally that sells it and it's a good price, so I always have a bottle on the shelf.

Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk

Connoisseur

The last pour of MM I had was at a bar about a year ago so I went out and picked up some so I could participate this month ;-). The first sip brought back a lot of fond memories of my youth. I remember purchasing my first bottle on the recommendation of a former coworker. I don't drink it much anymore but it's still a good pour. It was definitely a step up the ladder from the Beam I had been drinking since high school.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by weller_tex View Post
    I think if they aged it 10-12 years and bottled it at 100 proof it would blow away anything else available today....
    Maker's Centennial? Why yes please. And on topic, I have a 46 open on the bar. Enjoyable change up pour.
    They say some of my stars drink whiskey, but I have found that ones who drink milkshakes don't win many ball games-Casey Stengel

Advanced Taster

This BOTM doesn't seem to have faired too well..

I did bring myself to acquire a bottle of MM after finding it at a slightly reduced price.
    But between all the quality competitors at and below this price point and the 7+ open bottles I'm nursing, I haven't brought myself to open it up.

May ask for a dram at a bar to get a taste.

Disciple

I enjoy the MM46 but really wish I could have some at 100+ proof

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by TunnelTiger View Post
    I enjoy the MM46 but really wish I could have some at 100+ proof

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You and me both!
    Epicurean in the ATL - Atlanta-Based Food, Whiskey & Cocktail Blog

Enthusiast

I had a pour of MM at a restaurant/bar the other day. It was good whiskey, but I still think it's overpriced.
    Pete

I hate scotch.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by TheNovaMan View Post
    I had a pour of MM at a restaurant/bar the other day. It was good whiskey, but I still think it's overpriced.
    Yes it is...but it is a far superior product to the Weller Special Reserve they are pushing at 5 years (at best) now. I think if you did a blind taste test of current (as of in the last 6 months) WSR and Makers, Makers would win 80-20..maybe 90-10. I think too many people are predisposed to dislike Makers because they are supposed to..