Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Virtuoso

Re: Foreign Whisky of the Month - 03/2014: IRISH!! (Happy St. Patrick's Day)

Quote Originally Posted by WAINWRIGHT View Post
    I was kind of wondering the same myself,the PJL is so good I just bypass the Signature even with the price variance between the two.
    There is no rhyme or reason on the pricing around here. The PJL and the Signature are in a virtual dead heat on price in most places and I don't get it at all. Certainly won't be buying the Sig.
    They say some of my stars drink whiskey, but I have found that ones who drink milkshakes don't win many ball games-Casey Stengel

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWF View Post
    Yeah! Ruth Ch-... Huh? I'm sorry, something like RC just rubs me the wrong way
    That was a weak attempt at a funny on the odd phrasing of the PJL name. I'm no fan of Ruth's. It's fine , but I'm a St. Elmo's guy. Root for the home team!
    They say some of my stars drink whiskey, but I have found that ones who drink milkshakes don't win many ball games-Casey Stengel

Disciple

That is really odd PJL is $55-60 here and the Sig is $39-42 maybe and I still pass it over.
    "To deny our own impulses is to deny the very thing that makes us human."
    Larry Wachowski

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Old Dusty View Post
    There is no rhyme or reason on the pricing around here. The PJL and the Signature are in a virtual dead heat on price in most places and I don't get it at all. Certainly won't be buying the Sig.
    I guess I buy from Hi Time where it was $62 vs. $43. I figured that was standard since Powers isn't too plentiful in the Twin Cities overall.
    Tequila Tourist - Blog & Reviews
    Tequila Tourist on Facebook

There's the right way, the wrong way and the Max Power Way!

Connoisseur

Thanks for the heads-up on Green Spot. Saved me $50 on something I don't need, as it just came in stock by me.

I like many of the basic blends like TD, Kilbeggan, Powers, etc. But lately, when I go for Irish, most of those have been sitting idle in favor of the PJL, TD Phoenix, and RB CS.

Sent from my KF using Tapatalk 2

Connoisseur

Never had PJL, but have had just a few Irish whiskys. I like Bushmills (the preferred drink of my grandfather, maybe that's why). It's a nice easy dram, with a very smooth character. I also like Tullamore Dew pretty well. It's a bit sweeter (which I don't mind) than most of the (admittedly few) other Irish offerings I've had. TD is also pretty smooth compared to most Bourbons. The only Irish I've had that I didn't care for at all, was a bottle of The Tyrconnel (sorry if I misspelled that) brought back by my sis, from a visit to the Old Sod. I found that closer to some sort of kerosene or fuel oil than a dram for drinking. Very odd flavor as well as aroma.

Taster

Don't forget the Powers Gold Label. They relaunched it back in December, raising the abv from 40% to 43.2% and they did away with the chill filtration. The old stuff was good, but the new stuff is even better. They did bump the price up a little, from $20 to $25, but I think it's worth it. I wrote a a blog post comparing the two recently.
    http://thewhiskeyroom.blogspot.com/2...old-label.html

Connoisseur

Another vote for PJL from me. I've got a bottle that is just itching to be opened. I'm forcing myself to wait til the 17th to open it. :-)

Guru

I have tried the PJL and Signature Release SBS and there is clearly a strong family resemblance to me. If it is $15-20 cheaper, which is usually the case around here, and you are looking to save a few bucks it is well worth it to me. That said I don't turn to the Signature routinely as I like the PJL so well and recently found several bottles priced at what looked like Signature price. I asked but they said it was correct and I elected not to argue! I like the Signature better than Green Spot which should be priced at the Signature level but is usually at least $10 more locally. I will be curious to see what the Yellow Spot costs, if and when it gets to the US. In the meantime I continue to nurse the one bottle I have. I go back and forth between it and PJL but I think the PJL is still my favorite between the two. The RB CS is also a strong contender against those other two 12yo heavy hitters.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Taster

It's been a few years since I've had any Tullamore Dew, but I do remember really liking the 12 year and being kind of indifferent toward the nas bottling. I haven't tried the 10 year.