Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: Foreign Whisky of the Month - 03/2014: IRISH!! (Happy St. Patrick's Day)

I did the JPL side-by-side with the Knappogue 17yr last St. Pats day. Knappogue by a mile...
    Justin

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by VT Mike View Post
    It's been a few years since I've had any Tullamore Dew, but I do remember really liking the 12 year and being kind of indifferent toward the nas bottling. I haven't tried the 10 year.
    The latest that I have surmised about TD's line, is that they have discontinued their 10 year blend, while retaining the basic blend, 10 year single malt, and the 12 year blend. Phoenix being a limited edition.

When I noticed the 10 year blend disappearing, I picked up the last couple that I saw just to have around. There really isn't much difference between the 10 year blend and the 12 year blend, which I suspect is why they discontinued the 10 year. Neither of them will knock your socks off, but I find them both enjoyable. I am not a huge SM fan, so I haven't tried that TD bottling.

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by jeffrey r View Post
    The latest that I have surmised about TD's line, is that they have discontinued their 10 year blend, while retaining the basic blend, 10 year single malt, and the 12 year blend. Phoenix being a limited edition.

When I noticed the 10 year blend disappearing, I picked up the last couple that I saw just to have around. There really isn't much difference between the 10 year blend and the 12 year blend, which I suspect is why they discontinued the 10 year. Neither of them will knock your socks off, but I find them both enjoyable. I am not a huge SM fan, so I haven't tried that TD bottling.
    I didn't even realize that TD made a single malt. I've heard of the Phoenix but don't really know anything about it. What's the premise behind that one?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by VT Mike View Post
    I didn't even realize that TD made a single malt. I've heard of the Phoenix but don't really know anything about it. What's the premise behind that one?
    The Phoenix is a blend of grain, malt and pure pot still with supposedly a high percentage of sherry cask finished pot still. It is bottled at 55% which is a good bit higher than most Irish Whiskey. However, I don't think it is age stated whiskey as best i can recall. Similar to the Special Reserve except at much higher proof (110 vs 80) but not age stated. The Special Reserve is a minimum of 12yo.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Taster

I've not done many Irish whiskies but picked up a Bushmills Black Bush last year. I wasn't overly impressed with it at first - too sweet and a bit tame at 40% - but it seems to have improved with some open bottle time. It seems to now be better balanced and not as sweet. I enjoy it as a change of pace - and the price is pretty easy to live with as well.
    <"}}}}}}}><

Rich

Enthusiast

I was in Ireland last November and was able to try the Yellow Spot whiskey. Yellow Spot is 12 year old. Definitely shows the signs of being more mature. It is finished in Bourbon, Sherry and Malaga casks. I really enjoyed it. Smoother. A bit sweeter on the finish. I brought a couple of bottles home with me for a special occasion.

Advanced Taster

I will always have a soft spot in my heart for Jameson 12, as it is the spirit that got me into whiskey in the first place. I enjoy Readbreast 12 as well.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by cbus View Post
    I will always have a soft spot in my heart for Jameson 12, as it is the spirit that got me into whiskey in the first place. I enjoy Readbreast 12 as well.
    Jameson 12 is great, especially for the $30 price tag at the duty free. I've also enjoyed Jameson Gold and 18, though 18 starts to get pretty dang pricey. Black bottle... eh, not nearly as good, though I do like that it comes in a 1L bottle.

Connoisseur

I like the Midleton extra rare. A bit pricey, but very good.
    Mark Edwards - Proof of Sanity Forged Upon Request

Disciple

Have plenty of new juice to try this year. Tullamore Phoenix, Crested Ten, Yellow spot, Knappock Castle 14. Along with the various !2yr. brands, should be a nice holiday of whiskey tasting!

Thomas