Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Taster

Hello from Cleveland!

Just started recently getting into bourbon. Mostly focused on single malt scotch before, but have really found my liquor of choice with bourbon. My first taste of ETL and I was hooked.

Current list of bourbon (still learning acronyms):
    ETL
    Jefferson's Reserve
    Angles Envy
    EW SB 03
    MM
    Cleveland Bourbon

Ohio has its limits in finding certain bourbon. I have been looking at caskers and bottle spot to score some other bottles. Those the places to look?

Thanks,
    Ryan

Disciple

Re: Hello from Cleveland!

Welcome gg. Looks like you are off to a great start although I admit I have never heard of Cleveland. Hope it's better than Chattanooga Whiskey.

On second thought nothing is as bad as Chat 1816.

Connoisseur

Greetings. Welcome to SB. As a lifelong American whiskey drinker (who only recently discovered I also like lowland scotch blends and lesser known Irish offerings), this is a great place to visit - all your bases are covered here. Nice starter list. At the risk of stealing the thunder of the graybeards on SB, some basic buys (to try some styles) would be EW Straight (the black label), JB Black (a basic 8 year bourbon), Old FitzgeraldBIB (if you can find it) and bonded Old Grand Dad (the orange cap). Some of the "bottom shelf" offerings will surprise you at how good they are for the price.

And, as for limited local offerings, don't forget "special order" lists or cars, buses, trains, and airplanes. When I was working and travelling, I checked the internet for liquor stores near my hotel BEFORE I packed so I could decide on how big a suitcase to take.

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by TunnelTiger View Post
    Welcome gg. Looks like you are off to a great start although I admit I have never heard of Cleveland. Hope it's better than Chattanooga Whiskey.

On second thought nothing is as bad as Chat 1816.
    Thanks Tiger. Below is an actual discussion I found here at SB about Cleveland Bourbon.

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...veland-Whiskey

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Harry in WashDC View Post
    Greetings. Welcome to SB. As a lifelong American whiskey drinker (who only recently discovered I also like lowland scotch blends and lesser known Irish offerings), this is a great place to visit - all your bases are covered here. Nice starter list. At the risk of stealing the thunder of the graybeards on SB, some basic buys (to try some styles) would be EW Straight (the black label), JB Black (a basic 8 year bourbon), Old FitzgeraldBIB (if you can find it) and bonded Old Grand Dad (the orange cap). Some of the "bottom shelf" offerings will surprise you at how good they are for the price.

And, as for limited local offerings, don't forget "special order" lists or cars, buses, trains, and airplanes. When I was working and travelling, I checked the internet for liquor stores near my hotel BEFORE I packed so I could decide on how big a suitcase to take.
    Excellent tips! Thanks Harry!

Guru

Hey gg, welcome aboard. Lots to learn and share around here, look forward to your contributions.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Connoisseur

To the recommendations of Harry, I'd add Wild Turkey 101, and Henry McKenna 10-year Single Barrel BIB. The McKenna 10 may be harder to find in some areas, and cost a sawbuck more; but a fine pour IMHO.
    Have FUN here!

Advanced Taster

Welcome fellow buckeye, I am in the Akron area and yes, our selections are not very good when one considers that we are a neighbor to KY. With that being said, Ohio is getting better. I have found Sazerac (Baby Saz) and E.H. Taylor small batch at the local shops recently. I would also highly recommend going to Lizardville, lizardville.net, to be able to try a fairly large selection of bourbons before buying a whole bottle, plus you can smoke a cigar out back which is a nice bonus.

Advanced Taster

Welcome - nice to have another Northcoast bourbon fan on the board.

Virtuoso

Good Day and welcome from up in Michigan.

Glad you found us here.

Best regards, Tony