Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Apprentice

Re: [novice] Collecting.. Hoarding.. Prepping? / Lower Shelves

Dannabis,

You and me buddy...same boat.

I'm a noob to whiskey as well, Just over 2 months, and I've been buying a bottle just about every other day...probably slightly more than that, though I only have 2-3 drinks a night. I too like to collect as a hobby and for personal consumption only . I like strolling down the street and popping into a liquor store to see what's on the shelf. Occasionally, something will pique my interest.

As far as going over the deep end, well I can't answer that. For me, I buy what I am willing to throw at it as a hobby, knowing that I'll have to pull back if it ever becomes an addiction (on the purchasing or consumption side)...which is a very fine line.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by BigRich View Post
    Gary, you can ...uh..."store" some at my place.
    Thanks for the offer. I'd trust you completely, but the stories of some of those folks at the poker game worry me

And Dad - you're right (although she saw the "Spreadsheet", which does include those bottles, but I'll have to make room for them!)

I may be bringing some bottles to Bardstown with "free to good home" tags (and if not adopted, will simply have to put them out of their misery).
    Last edited by darylld911; 03-05-2014 at 16:00.
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Connoisseur

Dan, as others have mentioned. Welcome to the sickness. Sounds like you will fit right in here. As far as going to far that is a decision for each of us to make ourselves. Some on here have bunkers that are far beyond what a normal person could drink in a lifetime. Others buy and drink as they go. I am probably in the middle of that bunch. To qualify, that last statement is not a judgement on anyone I envy the large bunkers! So buy what your budget allows and enjoy the shit out of what you buy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Virtuoso

Like everyone stated, welcome to the deep end.

Good news is that here you will feel perfectly normal.

And looking at what other has stashed, it'll give you the reason to go deeper.

Advanced Taster

Thanks for the responses folks. I feel a bit better.
    I find myself making mental lists of whiskey to pick up and peeking in or thinking of peeking in every liquor store I come across.

It's like my secret guilty smile. But not so secret or guilty.. ;D

Daryll!! I laughed myself to tears at your situation - "will simply have to put them out of their misery" Wow.
    I feel a lot better.

Guru

good luck. I never hoarded or collected anything before I got into this. Now, I find it nearly irresistible to not do so. Some guys on here just like to have their own virtual bar, where they can have a pour or practically anything at any time. Nothing wrong with that, if you have the money, space, and an accommodating partner. I only buy things in multiples if it is

1) on an incredible sale (not just a few bucks off, but like a 1/2 price clearance/ discontinue sale) or

2) something that I really enjoy that is being discontinued/fear it is about to be discontinued.

Between those 2 criteria, I have about 30 bottles of 3 different whiskeys (12 HH6BIB, 9 KCSB, and 9 Dickel 9 year). Other than those rare instances of stockpiling, I find it irresistible to buy something new routinely to try. I have managed to slow that way down though, by replacing that impulse to buy a bottle with instead succumbing to the impulse to try a new pour at a restaurant, and only buying a new bottle when I discover something at a restaurant that I really liked. This also really cuts down on the number of open bottles at home, as I dont buy something that I find isnt really enjoyable and just sits around instead. Fortunately for me, I don't have a broad range of things I enjoy, and more than a few distilleries dont really have anything that interests me.

good luck. If you're on here for 6 months+ and have less than 10 bottles, youre in good shape
    Last edited by 393foureyedfox; 03-09-2014 at 07:44.

Enthusiast

When I can't get to sleep at night my method of counting sheep is to go through all my whiskey bottles alphabetically. That isn't the sign of a problem, is it?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Santana View Post
    When I can't get to sleep at night my method of counting sheep is to go through all my whiskey bottles alphabetically. That isn't the sign of a problem, is it?
    Depends what letter of the alphabet you fall asleep at, and how long it took to get there
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Enthusiast

There are obviously a lot of variables on how long it takes me to get to sleep, but honestly I usually zonk out before I get through the E's.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Santana View Post
    There are obviously a lot of variables on how long it takes me to get to sleep, but honestly I usually zonk out before I get through the E's.
    Take a sip from each bottle as you go. You will be out by the d's
    "On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero"
    T. Durden