Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Apprentice

Hello from the burbs of Nor Cal

Hello SBers!

I've been trolling around this forum for month or so, and I am new to whiskey after taking a 10 year break from alcohol. In my past, I drank beer and vodka...some gin...some rum, but hardly ever drank brown. Fast forward 10 years, and now brown is all you'll find in my bar. Oddly, I bought a house with a 40 sq-ft bar. When I bought the house, I said to myself "what the heck am I going to do with a bar”. I've now answered my own question...fill it with booze.

My first two months were rough on the pocket book. I just ran the calculation and I've been purchasing a bottle just about every day, so I’ve been fortunate to have tried lots of different whiskey over the past 2 months. I started w/ scotch and have since moved to bourbons and have a few bottles of rye, cognac, armengac, Canadian, and what not mixed in.

I am really liking the high proof stuff. Lots of people use the word “smooth” as a desirable whiskey adjective, but I like a little bite and that extra warm feeling that comes along with the higher proof stuff. In the higher proof bourbon, I have tried:
    Weller 107
    Four Roses SB OBSO (126.8 proof)
    EH Taylor Barrel Proof
    Stagg Jr.
    Henry McKenna
    I’m saving a bottle of Angels Envy and EC (both cask strength) for a high proof bourbon show down once I get a bit more experience w/ this juice.

My indiscernible pallet likes all of the above. I like the Weller 107 and Henry McKenna for nice easy drinking, but I really dig the FR, EHT and Stagg jr.

Any recommendations on other higher proof bourbon to try?

Virtuoso

Re: Hello from the burbs of Nor Cal

Welcome! It would appear that your off to a good start. I would recommend OGD 114, KCSB, Booker's and WTRB, as they are for the most part regularly available and held in high regard by many here.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
    Welcome! It would appear that your off to a good start. I would recommend OGD 114, KCSB, Booker's and WTRB, as they are for the most part regularly available and held in high regard by many here.
    I agree with Paddy; and, will add (if they can be found) George T. Stagg, William Larue Weller (my fave), some of the Parker's Heritage releases, and Elijah Craig barrel proof. All are excellent drams, and high proof. Some offerings are barrel proof, but I find those that are also non-chill-filtered are the ones that really shine. Have FUN!!!

Virtuoso

Welcome to the neighborhood.

Based on what you stated, you'll have so many choices that you would likely enjoy.

Now that you are on SB.com, you'll fill up that bar in no time.

Enthusiast

Hey Jiggity, Pour one on me, Bakers is also a pretty good choice @ 7yr old and 107 proof,I like it, you may aslo want to try as many of the BIB's as you can, I as well as many others out here enjoy these as well.I got a list of them out here under .. Bottled in Bond's.
    Everyday my spirit seems to find its way to the bottom of a glass...... Don

Enthusiast

Welcome! If you like the Four Roses SB, try their small batch. Quite tasty and cheaper. It's probably the most 2nd most consumed bourbon at my house (after the SB blend!)
    "We're wanted men! we'll strike again! But first, let's have a beer" -- J Buffett

Apprentice

Thanks for the recommendations!

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
    Welcome! I would recommend OGD 114, KCSB, Booker's and WTRB
    I tell you, there are more acronyms in the bourbon world than in tech

I saw OGD 114 on the BOTM and will be trying that for sure as well as Booker's. Booker's has been on my "to buy" list for a while, but some how keeps falling off last minute.

Quote Originally Posted by Richnimrod View Post
    I agree with Paddy; and, will add (if they can be found) George T. Stagg, William Larue Weller (my fave), some of the Parker's Heritage releases, and Elijah Craig barrel proof.
    I felt VERY fortunate to have found the 4 bottles of Stagg Jr. that I did. I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for either GTS or WLW around my area, I'll have to hold out for the next release of those.

Quote Originally Posted by dSculptor View Post
    Hey Jiggity, Pour one on me, Bakers is also a pretty good choice @ 7yr old and 107 proof,I like it, you may aslo want to try as many of the BIB's as you can, I as well as many others out here enjoy these as well.I got a list of them out here under .. Bottled in Bond's.
    I've not heard of Baker's, I'll pick that up next time. So all BIB is 100 proof?

I just ordered a couple ECSB. It doesn't have the proof, but I like the EC flavor profile

I am having a great time w/ my new found joy w/ this forum. Now, if I could only find a way to turn my kids into bourbon...maybe I'd enjoy them as much. ha!