Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Guru

Re: South African whisky

Some Canadian blends do contain non whisky additives but that doesn't denigrate the style as a whole.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Smithford View Post
    I feel like most Bourbon Enthusiasts will see this for what it is. A pretty good young whisky that would have to work a bit harder to justify its price. Searching a bit more, I see that Kickert has already written a review right here on this very forum (third post down). I would pretty much echo everything he said about it (and you can see that he was also misled by the "single grain" designation).

But apparently it's taking the world by storm, so what do I know?
    Bains costs about $20 here and its worth it. Not something I would seek out or import, but it is a nice whiskey with pleasant notes that are bourbon-esque, but unique in their own right (think a blend of irish whiskey and bourbon).

The 3 Ships 5 year really reminds me of a cheap blended scotch. It is about $15 here, and while I will occassional have a bottle, I don't seek it out (and considering my whiskey selection is pretty dire, and the cost is pretty low, that should tell you something). Think White Horse.

The 3 Ships Bourbon Cask reminds me of bottom shelf Heaven Hill. It is a huge departure from the 5 year with strong bourbon notes, and none of the scotch profile. It costs me around $17 and I will pick it up when I want to be reminded of bourbon but don't have access to any real bourbon.

There is an even cheaper 3 Ships (select?) that is not even worth mentioning.

For whiskey enthusiasts, the Bains is the only one I would recommend, and then its more for the novelty. Can't imagine if I was in the states that I would be purchasing any of them though.
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

Guru

Thanks for the notes. This is not something I would really consider but it has an undeniable novelty appeal.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.