Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Taster

Greetings from Taiwan!

Hello there Chaps,

I am a Southern US expat living in voluntary exile in Asia. I tried to join up a few years back, but the registration process seemed to have not suceeded. I applied around/during the KBF, so I blame it ;p . Nonetheless, I did suceed on BF and have a few post there going back a couple of years.

I look forward to participating on these forums while enjoying a more than ample bunker of 1993/94 WT O#8/86 and 2003 WT 8 year/101 that I found over here at 1994 and2003 prices. A few more standard selections are also available here, but it is mostly slim pickings. We do have Early Times KSBW Brown, and Kentucky Gentleman AS 4 years KSBW, so the bottom shelf is somewhat covered. I am currently working on picking up a case or two of VOB BIB/6 back stateside while it is still available. This way I can have an international bunker! There is no chance I will ever get any of the marque bourbons, but that is ok- I doubt there is anyone else dusty hunting in Taipei so it is all mine!!!

Cheers

Virtuoso

Re: Greetings from Taiwan!

Good Day and Welcome from Michigan.

Glad to have you here.

Best regards, Tony

Connoisseur

Good Day, or is it night there? Well, in any case WELCOME!
    Good to have you join the conversation, Vadertime.

Guru

Welcome Vadertime! I'm Made in Taiwan so your post got my attention

I am looking forward to reading your thoughts here - Taiwan has a great whisky culture but not so much in the way of bourbon... In any event, I'm probably heading back next year so maybe we can synch up?
    Last edited by ChainWhip; 03-13-2014 at 10:01.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by ChainWhip View Post
    Welcome Vadertime! I'm Made in Taiwan so your post got my attention

I am looking forward to reading your thoughts here - Taiwan has a great whisky culture but not so much in the way of bourbon... In any event, I'm probably heading back next year so maybe we can synch up?
    Yeah, Scotch is literally everywhere. I can't walk 5 minutes without having a chance to buy a single malt (in fact this is true). Bourbon is a bit harder to find. The Big Label Standards can be found with a bit of sleuthing, and they are ok I suppose, but not all that sexy. Besides the dusties I have found (and I am on trail for a few more) not too much exciting stuff. I am exploring vatting to keep things of interest- how does Jameson + MM sound?

Recently I struck up an acquaintance with a person at the firm who reps HH and she informed me they will be receiving the following shipments:

HEAVEN HILL BOURBON WHISKEY will be arriving at the end of April

and these below will be arriving at the end of May or early June

ELIJAH CRAIG 12Y.O. BOURBON WHISKEY0.75L
    Evan Williams 1783 Small Batch Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whisky
    Evan Williams Bottled-In-Bond Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whisky
    Evan Williams Cinnamon Reserve Liqueur 0.75L (if you like bourbon whisky liqueur)

So the Taipei Bourbon drought will soon be over, I am particularly interested in the EW BiB!

She also informed me that Old Fitz BiB has been discontinued . I really want to try a bottle or two.

Chainwhip, I look forward to meeting up with ya. How does a Made in Taiwan PacNWer have a Bayou Bengal avatar? bATOn rOUGe baby! (I am a Go Dawgs kinda guy if you know what I mean).

Last edited by Vadertime; 03-14-2014 at 00:31.

Taster

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that we have a seemingly ample supply of old bottles Blanton's Silver, but I had an incident of cork taint and I am weary to try another, $50 down the drain is an expensive lesson. I also had problems with those big Elijah Craig corks, but a new shipment is coming, so I might have to give it another shot.

Guru

Welcome from Georgia! I'd trade most of the new releases for some of the dusty stuff you've got out there
    Glad to have you!
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Guru

Good morning Vader, welcome aboard.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by darylld911 View Post
    Welcome from Georgia! I'd trade most of the new releases for some of the dusty stuff you've got out there Glad to have you!
    Well, that can be arranged, I'll be swinging through the ATLarge at some point in the next year or two. I was just down in the MaconGa a few months back, and I'll be returning at some point for sure. How is dusty hunting in GA? I have a few places in mind, but didn't have the time when I was back stateside. Cheers

Taster

BTW, 50% Jameson + 50% MM tastes terrible. If you bring up the MM a bit it is palatable- it tastes like an oat biscuit with no finish at all. I though about adding a bit of WT 101 to spice it up, but then decided to let it go. Bad bad vat