Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

KC back to cork yet?

Hey guys,just wondering if anyone out there recently purchased a bottle of KC? I was wondering if they went back to the cork. Last fall when I was at the distillery they were still using the screw caps,but said ..due to customer response they were switching back to the cork. I was one of the customers who complained. When I had bought one and got it home and cracked it,only to my surprise to find a cap.I wasn't happy. KC has and will always be one of my top pours, and I just like the cork,so when they switched it,it just wasn't the same.Luckily I still had the old cork bottle so I immediately decanted it to that,and felt much better. Oh and as long as I am on the subject, I often wondered why the KCSB reserve also still states small batch on it as well? Pretty contradictive isn't it?
    Everyday my spirit seems to find its way to the bottom of a glass...... Don

Advanced Taster

Re: KC back to cork yet?

I don't think you'll get much support in these forums. There aren't many cork fans here.
    trying to walk a straight line,
    on sour mash and cheap wine

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by dSculptor View Post
    Pretty contradictive isn't it?
    Yep. Reminds me of the RR Small Batch Single Barrel (just a tad redundant).

Oh - and booooo corks I'm not a fan of corks, although recently learned that screwcaps can be as bad if not done right. And while not a fan, I do tip my hat to them for giving consumers what they want. Apparently not enough cheered when they went to screwcaps compared to those who made noise. I hadn't bought a bottle with a screwcap, but saw the same thing on the tour last fall (and was told the same thing about them changing back). Ironically, we got excited when we pointed out the screwcaps on the line, which is what made the tour guide explain. Hey - if we all liked the same thing, life wouldn't be too interesting!
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Connoisseur

I've not seen a corked bottle yet, but admittedly haven't picked one up in a month or so. I have grown rather fond of the screw cap and will hate to see it go.

Connoisseur

(Sigh) I love the screw cap and wish all whiskies and wines had them. I didn't realize there was a revolt against them!

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Smithford View Post
    I don't think you'll get much support in these forums. There aren't many cork fans here.
    Oh, really? I don't wish to turn this into a cork v screw cap thread, as there are plenty of those, here. But from the many of those that I have seen over my past 10 years on these boards, your statement is grossly inaccurate. Actually, your statement is ridiculous.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Enthusiast

To be honest, the capping process does not affect my buying habits in the least. If done right, screw caps are unlikely taint the whiskey (or have the cork explode after 5-6 years of hanging out). I am just fine with properly fitted screw tops and synthetic cork. I have had to replace 2 different corked tops of scotches in the past 6 months (One had been hanging out on various shelves for 20+ years, the other 4-5). Both times I was lucky enough to get the cork OUT before it fell apart, but I am sure it'll happen one of these days. Obviously, regular cork doesn't deter me all that much either.
    Eric

Novice

I prefer screw caps myself. Seems to keep the air out better in both wine and whiskey, granted the pop of a cork is still one of my 3 favorite noises.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by tdwester View Post
    I prefer screw caps myself. Seems to keep the air out better in both wine and whiskey, granted the pop of a cork is still one of my 3 favorite noises.
    The pop of a real cork does sound way classier than synthetic. One of my favorite noises as well.
    Eric

though I'm a big screw cap fan, the pop is nice. And the squeak squeak when working out a tight cork.