Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Virtuoso

Bourbon with a Pickle Back

Good Day All-

I trust you are doing great.

Just curious if anyone had tried or has thoughts about bourbon with a pickle back?

I was at a local bar last week where they had Jameson's with a pickle back. This is just a shot of Jameson's followed immediately with a shot of pickle juice. I found it kind of refreshing and was going to try it this weekend with some bourbon.

Anyone seen this, tried this, liked this? A lot of people I mention it to say it sounds terrible.

Best regards, Tony

Guru

Re: Bourbon with a Pickle Back

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    Good Day All-

I trust you are doing great.

Just curious if anyone had tried or has thoughts about bourbon with a pickle back?

I was at a local bar last week where they had Jameson's with a pickle back. This is just a shot of Jameson's followed immediately with a shot of pickle juice. I found it kind of refreshing and was going to try it this weekend with some bourbon.

Anyone seen this, tried this, liked this? A lot of people I mention it to say it sounds terrible.

Best regards, Tony
    It only sounds terrible until you try it.

Then, for better or for worse, you know for sure!

Not that it has ever stopped me. I have had lots of terrible things when trying sometihng new but also some really good ones, whether it be food, drink or, umm, other things...

But most of it tends to fall somewhere in the middle. No surprise there!
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Enthusiast

I just saw an advertisement for Jameson with pickle juice, so this must be something they are pushing right now.
    "Unless it survived a tornado, weathered a snow storm in Scotland, and then spent a year on boat before returning home, I'm not really interested."

Taster

The "Pickleback" cocktail really took off in New York (Brooklyn, I think); it was generally a shot of Jameson with a shot of pickle brine as a chaser. As its popularity rose, "mixologists" started experimenting by using other whiskies. It does sound weird. When I see people in bars who have done a Pickleback, I occasionally ask them what the appeal is, and the general consensus is that it masks the alcohol burn from the whiskey, and pretty much hides the taste of the whiskey as well. My follow up question to them is "why would you want to do that?" If those are the reasons why the Pickleback has taken off, then I'm not sure that I'd want to have one.

And apparently the craze has jumped the pond, and is starting to take off in England.

Guru

It's a fantastic combo and I have them on the regular at a bar around here.

Guru

What about w/ rye? Several months back I ate a Klaussen pickle right after finishing a nice pour of rye, and thought "Wait a minute . . . did that just go really well together?" I shrugged it off as maybe one too many ryes
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Guru

I've had actual pickles made w rye. Also fantastic.

Virtuoso

I hereby declare that nobody who enjoys a picklejuice behind their bourbon may ever naysay someone else's preferred malt profile. Salt and brine? Talking about the darkside there laddies!
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Advanced Taster

I LOVE pickle backs. And I'm not picky on the bourbon either.

Connoisseur

I think it is a fantastic combo with some ryes, most Irish whiskies and even a young smokey Island malt or Islay, though I prefer real pickles to just the brine. I love pairing my whiskey with savory cured meats, whole grain mustard, jams, compotes and other delicious snacks. I find the right food enhances the experience of drinking whiskey, as long as it isn't too processed/artificial or too spicy. Pickle juice and bourbon I've never tried, but I don't think the brine will play well with the corny sweetness. Only one way to find out!