Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Re: Bourbon with a Pickle Back

OK, did it. Not at all as funky as I expected. I see why this is a popular shooter. The pickle juice is to the whiskey, like a fire extinguisher is to a grease fire. Heat, flame, fire...Gone. I'm thinkin' this PJ chaser could douse a Stagg shooter fire. Has to be sone chemical reaction sort of thing. However, in all of this, there is a bit of a pleasing "something" left over on the finish. BTW, it was Jameson's 12yr and Claussen's pickle juice.

Yeah, I'd re-up for it...
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

The Voshole

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    Screw it. I'm goin' in...
    We don't need anymore goat stories Joe
    "Bottom line: sometimes things work out this way in life. It doesn't matter how well you've planned; you're just f**ked, and that's that" - The Boss

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Vosgar View Post
    We don't need anymore goat stories Joe
    Was finally able to deliver the Goatwhore T to Troyce! I think he ...liked it...I'm not sure he's all-in on the tongue splitting and horn implants, though...
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Connoisseur

I did my first pickleback in the fall of 2012 while in the WI northwoods. Had some out-of-towners with us that introduced it. I thought it was pretty decent, but nothing more than a novelty.

To me, it basically served the purpose of masking the flavor and finish on a terrible whiskey. Maybe Vlasic and Cleveland Bourbon can hook up to put on some sort of promotion.
    Tyler

Taster

I had this one years ago as "Dickle and a Pickle." Pretty self explanatory. Kinda preferred the whiskey more than the brine but it was amusing at the time...

Connoisseur

This reminds me of the time I was closing a bar down with my wife, a few folks at the bar and a friendly bartender. He was enjoyed whiskey but knew very little about it. At one point my wife mentioned we had just got back from KY and the Bourbon Trail and he started asking a lot of questions . . . yada yada yada . . . end of the night he looks at me and says he's buying everyone a last call and I was picking the bourbon. He had been talking about the Noah's Mill they just got in, so I played along and choose that, none the less he fills everyone a shot glass, we cheers and everyone chugs, except my wife and I, take a nice sip, look around, whoops, wrong kind of drink, look at each other, shrugged our shoulders and did the shot. Oh well, at least it was just Noah's Mill and at least I didn't have to drink pickle juice after it.

Pickle backs are fairly popular here in East Texas though the standard alcohol is vodka. It's viewed simply as a way to increase intoxication more quickly without any unwanted alcohol burn. Also, technically the electrolytes in the pickle juice could weaken the blow of a hangover. I don't think it would be bad with bourbon but I'd much rather enjoy mine neat in a Glencairn, slowly.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    OK, did it. Not at all as funky as I expected. I see why this is a popular shooter. The pickle juice is to the whiskey, like a fire extinguisher is to a grease fire. Heat, flame, fire...Gone. I'm thinkin' this PJ chaser could douse a Stagg shooter fire. Has to be sone chemical reaction sort of thing. However, in all of this, there is a bit of a pleasing "something" left over on the finish. BTW, it was Jameson's 12yr and Claussen's pickle juice.

Yeah, I'd re-up for it...
    I'm guessing you shot it? This sounds fantastic and I can't not try it, even though it's late.
    Jim

Enthusiast

Sounds interesting, I love a FILTHY martini so I can see this working, maybe by pairing it with a corned beef sandwich I can unleash the awesome power of the pickle.

Connoisseur

I've done a pickle back with Jameson and liked it fine. Would be interested in doing this with a HW product as I often taste briny dill pickles in some of their ryes anyway.