Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: John Hall Cashes Out-In

Quote Originally Posted by HighInTheMtns View Post
    At least when they change the proof to 81 it will be an increase.

If I drank Forty Creek I'd be scared about this change. Campari sucks.
    Campari doesn't get nearly the same hate as the likes of Diageo in the Scotch circles* but from reading this board and the lack of love for WT I'd say its probably the worst possible buyer for FC as far as whisky nerds are concerned.
    As I said up-thread the only positive to come out of this will be increased distribution outside Canada. I don't see quality going anywhere but down**. The upside is that prices aren't likely to go up (much) since they're already near the top for the category.

* they only own Glen Grant which is nearly irrelevant as far as single malts go.
    ** Under John Hall, FC has been lauded as one of the best quality Canadian whiskies around. I don't think JH will be around very long, so what are the chances it will get better without him?
    Last edited by portwood; 03-12-2014 at 12:31.
    "Old guys tend to say it like it is." squire

Guru

Wonder when we'll get a Canadian/Bourbon blend called Forgive, eh?

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by MyOldKyDram View Post
    One day, a Canadian teamster accidentally drove a tanker truck full of fully matured, 80 proof Forty Creek to Lawrenceburg, where a foolish warehouseman accidentally poured it into a tank containing the finest 13 year old 91 proof WT. They were going to fire him, but then Campari realized what a marketing bonanza it could be and bottled the 85.5 proof blend. Somehow there is enough of the accidental blend that this bottle will be available for years to come (I'm guessing that it was the same tank they used to batch WT-03-RB.)
    Jim

Connoisseur

You's guys!!! Jee Whiz give 'em a break, at least 'til they actually screw up the actual product(s).
    Here's hoping that takes a good long time, eh?

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Richnimrod View Post
    You's guys!!! Jee Whiz give 'em a break, at least 'til they actually screw up the actual product(s).
    Here's hoping that takes a good long time, eh?
    No way!! Pro-active bitching is the way to go. That way you're happy because you get to be right...or you're happy if things don't change at all. It's a win-win!

For the record, I like WT. I've seen lots of love for the recent 101 and RB. The RRSBSB is pretty decent and all of the recent limited editions (Tribute, Tradition, Am. Spirit) have been very good. But I'm sure people will be coming out of the woodwork to talk about how good Forty Creek used to be...
    Tequila Tourist - Blog & Reviews
    Tequila Tourist on Facebook

There's the right way, the wrong way and the Max Power Way!

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Richnimrod View Post
    I can't go for that...nooooeooo, no can do....

Taster

As long as John Hall has control, we will be fine. The question is will the bean counters and marketers let him maintain control and for how long.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by MyOldKyDram View Post
    I see what you did here, nice!

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Glad for the owners to have done well from the business, however IMO Forty Creek's whiskeys, while important to push the envelope of the Canadian norm, did not (or so far) create a new template, did not produce something to rival a good bourbon or straight rye, or single malt. The products largely retain a Canadian approach but with more oomph; perhaps that very characteristic is what attracted the buyer.

Gary

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    Glad for the owners to have done well from the business, however IMO Forty Creek's whiskeys, while important to push the envelope of the Canadian norm, did not (or so far) create a new template, did not produce something to rival a good bourbon or straight rye, or single malt. The products largely retain a Canadian approach but with more oomph; perhaps that very characteristic is what attracted the buyer.

Gary
    Hallelujah!!!
    Everytime I say words to that effect on other forums or twitter, the fanatics shout me down and say I'm a Canadian whisky hater. How can you criticize "the man". Maybe now that FC will no longer be just a little independent "craft" yada yada producer, more people will come out and say it like it is. Facts are, for all the stuff JH did, none of it was that unique (even for Canada) and he stuck to tried and true Canadian whisky norms: blending, low abv, chill filtration. Even the annual limited edition releases where he could have really been diff (high abv, single barrel, etc) stuck to the formula!

In the end, though, good for him for making a bucket load of money for his investors. Me thinks he sold at the right time. He may go down in history as an even better business man than a distiller!
    Last edited by portwood; 03-15-2014 at 09:50.
    "Old guys tend to say it like it is." squire