Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Guru

Re: John Hall Cashes Out-In

For years I appreciated what Mr. Hall was doing and how he was doing it though I phased out use of his products about 4-5 years ago along with any other whisky (Bourbon, Rye, Malt) that had been aged or finished in a wine cask.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    For years I appreciated what Mr. Hall was doing and how he was doing ...
    One of the things that turned me off on FC and JH was his implication that what he was doing/does is unique in Canada.

He talks about "meritage" (he started in the wine business) as a different approach to the American whiskey style mash bill. In contrast to American whisky, he distills and ages the grains separately. He also uses different char levels to age each of the grains. PROBLEM is, he's NOT the only Canadian distiller that does this. Yes, there is some mash bill style distilling in Canada (where the grains are combined and fermented together) BUT a lot of Canadian whisky (if not the majority) is distilled the same way as FC!!! Blending the aged grain whiskies is NOT unique to FC. The other guys may not call it "mariage" and may not put the blend back in the barrel for finishing (including fancy ex-wine barrels) but they also do it.

JH is a very hard working distiller and a great marketer. Kudos to him for building a great brand, but he turned me off when he pretends his methods are unique in the Canadian industry
    "Old guys tend to say it like it is." squire

Guru

I appreciated the fact he provided me with a choice away from the usual Canadian Blends and I'll leave to the experts on Canadians to determine who gets credit for what.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

He should get credit for making Canadian whisky tastier than it was but in every version of Forty Creek I've had, you can still taste the grain whisky element, and the finish is relatively short. I'm with Portwood.

Everything is incremental. John Hall did good work in his time. I look forward to a new generation of Canadian whisky-makers to take the palate further. Lot 40 and Masterson's can show the way.

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 03-15-2014 at 13:38.