Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: Diageo v. Brown-Forman

My favorite lobbyist was wont to say, "All you need is money and me".
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

If it passes it will kill for all time the argument is Tennessee whiskey bourbon.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by p_elliott View Post
    If it passes it will kill for all time the argument is Tennessee whiskey bourbon.
    Would it really? IF the law passes, and I am inclined to agree that the legislature would be fairly stupid to alienate JD/B-F (and while they can, like any legislative body, be pretty stupid at times it probably won't happen where this much money is involved), it wouldn't mean a manufacturer would HAVE to use used cooperage, only that they could.

I sort of understand the argument that B-F doesn't to give big bad Diageo the ability to "poison" the Tennessee whiskey well with an inferior and cheaper product although given that Dickel is only a small wart on JD's giant butt it seems unlikely they could get make that much of an impact, especially overseas. I don't know that I have ever seen GD in any country I have visited in recent years but I see JD in every single one to include the Middle East and Cuba of all places.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Disciple

Article in this mornings Chatt Times Free Press indicates that this is going to pass to help the "little guys". Qouted a few of them saying numerous whiskeys are agde in used barrels and that JD shouldn't have a lock on the term "Tennesee Whiskey".

I infer they want to use it on moonshine and anything else they distill.

In both my online and on-site communication with them, the people at George Dickel deny any intention to change the way they make their whisky; they just don't want Jack Daniel's telling them how to do it.

Guru

Sounds like an old fashioned feud in the making.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

I think B-F has the better argument, though. But for Jack Daniels, the concept of Tennessee Whiskey, as a thing, wouldn't (likely) exist. They basically created it. Therefore, if the type will be enshrined in the law, it should be the style they created. It's like saying in France, we will amend the Champagne compositional law. I don't know if one exists, let's assume it does, to leave out the part about secondary fermentation in the bottle because it is not the only way to make Champagne. And so I, a sparkling wine maker in [name other place], should be able to set up a business in Champagne and call it that even though my product is only fermented in bulk.

How is this different?

Gary

Guru

Early Times . . . . . . . . . .

Enthusiast

Looks like the legislation to rewrite the definition of Tennessee Whiskey has been withdrawn as reported by tennessean.com. tim

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Round two. On Friday, Diageo filed suit against the Tennessee Alcoholic Beverage Commission (TABC) to overturn a 77-year-old law that says any distilled spirit manufactured in Tennessee must be stored (i.e., aged) in Tennessee. Diageo got cited for violating it because Diageo has moved some products to Stitzel-Weller in Louisville.

Diageo goes to great pains to assure everyone that it is not aging any George Dickel Tennessee Whiskey in Kentucky, just other products it makes at the George Dickel Distillery. It doesn't say what those are, and in the past Dickel master distillers have claimed that Dickel doesn't make anything except George Dickel there. This has gotten mixed up with the whole standards thing, but it's a completely different issue. For more go here.