Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Trybox New Make from Heaven Hill

All I found about Trybox New Make from Heaven Hill was closed threads saying it's coming and some other mentions, but no dedicated thread. So's... Found one at local for $26. Bottled at 125 proof. It's white and smells white. I'm sampling it after doing some taste comparisons of different McKenna SB BIB bottles so comparing New Make to those and not to other whites.

Nose is not pleasent compared to McKenna but does have a good white dog nose like some interesting shines. Flavor on the other hand is quite good. Tastes like a good, smooth white dog. Without back-to-back comparison and going by memory, I liked it better than BT White Dog. Even as a 125 proof white, it's worth holding in mouth to savor flavor. And the after is where I become most intrigued. The heaven hill floral after-taste is something I seek and treasure, and this gives it. Not as complex as McKenna and certainly not as complex as EC18, but definitely present. Makes me want to go further with actual serious study.

On another day will try it back-to-back with a bunch o' other whites.

Of course it's not as good as a wood seasoned product, but for those that study sips, this is definitely on the recommend, must have, go out and get it list.

Apprentice

Re: Trybox New Make from Heaven Hill

Howdy!

Thanks. I have two Tryboxes (Corn & Rye). They were $49 each from the LCBO. I'm planning on doing a comparison tasting with them and some grappas.

Enthusiast

What blows my mind is that the Trybox rye is more expensive than Rittenhouse BIB

Trippah and Admin

It's amazing what they charge for "unique" but underaged whiskey these days.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Guru

Amazing that enough customers will pay the prices to encourage the practice.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Amazing that enough customers will pay the prices to encourage the practice.
    "There's a sucker born every minute"
    (often attributed to PT Barnum
    "We're wanted men! we'll strike again! But first, let's have a beer" -- J Buffett

Enthusiast

I don't know why, but I got the impression that the Trybox series was marketed, or at least expected, to be consumed after further development and not consumed directly out of the bottle. If I could get my hands on quality high proof Heaven Hill distillate at a reasonable price like this, I would age some in a micro barrel for a couple years and/or mix it into cocktails and experiment with bitters, digestifs, aperitifs and other fun stuff.

Connoisseur

About 2 years ago I bought 3 bottles of Trybox and aged them in small barrels. The end product came out ok, but not great. I'll leave the aging to those that have done it for many, many years.
    If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Balcones Winston View Post
    What blows my mind is that the Trybox rye is more expensive than Rittenhouse BIB
    TIL: The Trybox rye is 125 proof... so that explains it.

Connoisseur

The higher price is mostly explained by the much lower volume, I believe. Who would make it a daily pour?