Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Guru

Devil's Bit 2014

St. Patrick has smiled on me today as a bit of preplanning has helped me acquire several bottles of this years Devil's Bit from McMenamins in Portland. Don't have them in hand quite yet of course but I have been looking forward to it since Chuck Cowdery blogged about them last year.

information from a blog about it indicates this year the whiskey has a rather convoluted history. It reportedly is a single barrel Hogshead that has gone through some rather unique twists and turns. First copper pot double distilled in 2006 from 100 percent two row malted barley, it was barreled in a charred, new American white oak barrel at a whopping 160 proof. After sitting for two years, it was cut to 115 proof and then rebarreled into a smaller American white oak cask. Sitting for a further two years, half of it was used for a Devil’s Bit release and the other half was put into a used port-style wine barrel for further aging. Fast forward three more years and the whiskey was transferred to a used wheat whiskey barrel for a year to “calm the port influence.” What’s has now been released comes in at 92 proof and fills around 1,000 or so 200ml bottles. It is being describe as an eight-year-old single barrel whiskey produced from malted barley that’s been aged in four distinct barrels.

The single barrel designation sounds like they are using the same interpretation of a "single barrel" that Glendronach does.

Reported tasting notes include a description of "an amber whiskey with a garnet hue that on the nose has subdued port notes and nutty, spicy grain characteristics. It shows itself on the palate as rich chocolate cake with cherry glaze, finishing with some slight hints of dryness and a lingering sweetness."

It sounds like it will be my kind of whiskey!But I don't have a clue what it will taste like.

At least not yet!
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Guru

Devil's Bit 2014

Nicely done there B - I was planning on taking the day off to head down but my wife is out of town so that put a kibosh into my plans. I'm hoping to head down next year though.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Guru

Re: Devil's Bit 2014

This year's release is an 8yr while last year was a 12yr. I want to try that Rye that Chuck blogged about.

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ChainWhip View Post
    This year's release is an 8yr while last year was a 12yr. I want to try that Rye that Chuck blogged about.
    Yes, but chances of finding the version from last year (without paying a pot of gold for it!) are likely somewhere between Slim and Remote, and Slim just got on his horse and headed out of town! Although I recall last years was a 12yo wheat and malt blend.

Early reviews from people in the Portland area are that this year is pretty darn good as well but more from the finishing it underwent. Someone who is not a fan of finished whiskey might not like it but I think we are both likely to be able to appreciate it!
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Guru

Surprisingly not a lot of info out there on the history of this. Release have at times been in the 300 of the 200ml bottle size range which is well under the equivalent of 100 750ml bottles. This year was closer to 1200 200ml bottles or around 320 750ml bottles. Pretty tight supply but then again it was only a single barrel of whiskey.

Not even sure when it started. From what little I can find past mashbills included:

2008 Rye?
    2009 10yo Barley malt
    2010 10yo Wheat and Barley malt blend?
    2011 Blend of past 3 years: 11yo Rye, 10yo Wheat and 12yo Barley malt
    2012 Rye?
    2013 12yo Wheat and Barley Malts
    2014 8yo four barrel Barley malt

Guru

I think that 2014 was 2-row barley.

Nicely done on the data collection there B! Much thanks!
    Last edited by ChainWhip; 03-18-2014 at 16:23.

Guru

I think that 2014 was 2-row barley.

Nicely done on the data collection there B! Much thanks!
    It was indeed 2-row barley malt that had been "finished" in 4 different barrels.

Guru

Got mine in today (thx to a very generous SBr):

Guru

Got mine in today (thx to a very generous SBr):

Looks intriguing. Will be curious to hear what you think. Got word my bottles hit the mail yesterday so hope to have them by early next week or maybe the weekend.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    Looks intriguing. Will be curious to hear what you think. Got word my bottles hit the mail yesterday so hope to have them by early next week or maybe the weekend.
    Allergies are wrecking my sense so it may be a few weeks before I get to get acquainted with this bottle.