Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 41
  1. #1
    Advanced Taster
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    116

    Davin De Kergommeaux's Chat with WhistlePig's Raj Bhakta

    I found this pretty interesting:

    http://whiskyadvocate.com/whisky/201...gs-raj-bhatka/

    Especially this:

    In any case, he is talking now, and is completely candid that the whiskey they are bottling today is still from the same single Canadian source, not five distilleries as Pickerell implies. “Yes, we’ve been growing our own grain,” he continued, “and we have been contracting others to distill it for us. We wanted to see how it turned out. That whiskey is currently maturing on the farm in Vermont, but it is not yet ready for release.” And the whiskey in the bottles? It’s still all Canadian rye whiskey, and will be for years to come.
    So, which American distilleries are contract distilling 100 percent rye for WP?

  2. #2
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Washington DC
    Posts
    577

    Re: Davin De Kergommeaux's Chat with WhistlePig's Raj Bhakta

    I wonder if Davin's article in WA, which won't be out until Summer, will tell us. This posting certainly left me wanting additional info like: When's it likely WP will release its own rye products? I should live so long. .

  3. #3
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,179

    Re: Davin De Kergommeaux's Chat with WhistlePig's Raj Bhakta

    Quote Originally Posted by risenc View Post
    So, which American distilleries are contract distilling 100 percent rye for WP?

    Well, they never said the contracted rye was 100% rye. MGP is the obvious choice. My understanding is you can bring them grains to use in your product, but I think it still has to be one of their standard mashbills. It could also be some of Pickerell's distillery clients. He has ties to a lot of distilleries at this point.

  4. #4
    Advanced Taster
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    116

    Re: Davin De Kergommeaux's Chat with WhistlePig's Raj Bhakta

    True -- which is a question I hope Davin answers in the piece. What is this new stuff they're making? My guess is it will be something very different from the extant WP brands, since anything close to the standard 100 proof/100-percent rye mashbill will draw comparisons with their Canadian juice. And those comparisons probably won't be favorable.

    And while you're right that the mystery producers could be anyone, I'd be sort of surprised if any of Dave's clients had the capacity and desire to contract distill (unless it's a very small amount), especially for a flashy NDP like WhistlePig.

    Quote Originally Posted by sku View Post
    Well, they never said the contracted rye was 100% rye. MGP is the obvious choice. My understanding is you can bring them grains to use in your product, but I think it still has to be one of their standard mashbills. It could also be some of Pickerell's distillery clients. He has ties to a lot of distilleries at this point.

  5. #5
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,179

    Re: Davin De Kergommeaux's Chat with WhistlePig's Raj Bhakta

    Quote Originally Posted by risenc View Post
    And while you're right that the mystery producers could be anyone, I'd be sort of surprised if any of Dave's clients had the capacity and desire to contract distill (unless it's a very small amount), especially for a flashy NDP like WhistlePig.
    It sounded like they were just experimenting at this point; I figured the runs might be quite small, but Pickerell has a lot of contacts in general, so there are probably numerous possibilities.

  6. #6
    Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Jackson, MS
    Posts
    12,574

    Re: Davin De Kergommeaux's Chat with WhistlePig's Raj Bhakta

    Sounds like the stuff they shovel out of horse stalls down on the farm. If anyone is curious though it would be easy to calculate. How many acres does WP have under cultivation?
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

  7. #7
    Disciple
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    1,807

    Re: Davin De Kergommeaux's Chat with WhistlePig's Raj Bhakta

    One of the two, either the owner or the "distiller", lacks credibility since one claims their current product distilled by a single source while the other claims it is distilled by multiple sources. They make it sound like all of their whiskey is produced by "homegrown" grain. I wonder if that is really true.
    Last edited by mbroo5880i; 03-20-2014 at 14:58. Reason: clarity

  8. #8
    Guru
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    2,885

    Re: Davin De Kergommeaux's Chat with WhistlePig's Raj Bhakta

    Quote Originally Posted by mbroo5880i View Post
    One of the two, either the owner or the "distiller", lacks credibility since one claims their current product distilled by a single source while the other claims it is distilled by multiple sources. They make it sound like all of their whiskey is produced by "homegrown" grain. I wonder if that is really true.
    Sounds like they may be comparing green apples and rotten oranges. My sense was that the multiple sources Pickerell notes are the "experiments" that are allegedly aging down on the farm may be made from local grain but what you get in the bottle now, and probably for a very long time to come, almost certainly is not. Unless you consider Canadian rye to be local! It is all still coming from a single source which is ADL.

    But this snippet is not entirely clear on the point.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

    Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

  9. #9
    Advanced Taster
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    116

    Re: Davin De Kergommeaux's Chat with WhistlePig's Raj Bhakta

    When I talked to Dave in November, he said they were considering doing younger, limited-release bottlings of their own hooch to start building a bridge between the current ADL-sourced flagship and a new set of products. He made no commitment that that would happen, or give any more details, so take it for what it's worth.

    Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    Sounds like they may be comparing green apples and rotten oranges. My sense was that the multiple sources Pickerell notes are the "experiments" that are allegedly aging down on the farm may be made from local grain but what you get in the bottle now, and probably for a very long time to come, almost certainly is not. Unless you consider Canadian rye to be local! It is all still coming from a single source which is ADL.

    But this snippet is not entirely clear on the point.

  10. #10
    Guru
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    NWGA
    Posts
    2,031

    Re: Davin De Kergommeaux's Chat with WhistlePig's Raj Bhakta

    Well they have already built their brand and they are just going to start putting younger stuff out there no matter the source.

    I would also guess that when it reaches the shelf it won't be below $75 dollars a bottle.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Whistlepig CEO is whiskey idiot and proves it
    By wadewood in forum American Rye Whiskey
    Replies: 66
    Last Post: 02-25-2014, 17:32
  2. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-17-2014, 16:47
  3. WhistlePig Rye 12 Year
    By c2walker in forum American Rye Whiskey
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-12-2012, 11:26
  4. How about a chat?
    By jeff in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 11-25-2002, 06:28

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top