Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: Davin De Kergommeaux's Chat with WhistlePig's Raj Bhakta

Now they're just waiting on a call from Campari.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Enthusiast

I wonder if a subscriber to the magazine can do me a small favor. Let me know if in the recent past, current issue, and/or the next one there is a full page spread for Whistlepig.
    "Old guys tend to say it like it is." squire

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by portwood View Post
    I wonder if a subscriber to the magazine can do me a small favor. Let me know if in the recent past, current issue, and/or the next one there is a full page spread for Whistlepig.
    I only have the current issue, but there are no WP ads.

Taster

I checked the current and last issue (Spring and Winter) and didn't find any ads for them. In fact, the only picture I saw that appeared to include their products was a fan snapshot of their stash on the top right of page 155 in the Winter 2013 issue. This is pretty surprising to me because I thought: of course they would advertise there, everyone does. Even the Ron Burgundy stuff has an ad in the Spring issue.

In any event, the topic is genuinely interesting and people have said good things about their whiskey, although I haven't gotten around to trying it yet. I don't think the preview of the article indicates any sort of inappropriate influence. It seemed to have a neutral fact-oriented tone and it left me with a neutral impression of their operations.

Guru

Not satisfied with Lew's rebuff of your supposition, eh?
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by danz View Post
    In any event, the topic is genuinely interesting and people have said good things about their whiskey . . .
    That's because it is good whisky, ADL makes good Rye whisky. WP didn't make it so and if it were not for the internet WP would still be trying to pass it off as "theirs" which is technically true in that they briefly owned it before repackaging and selling it to us.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    Not satisfied with Lew's rebuff of your supposition, eh?
    Just saw that.
    "sonny", brilliant!

Every specialty publication ever known has made the claim that advertising sales have nothing to do with editorial content. Perhaps, but without the ads the mags don't exist, and companies don't like to place glossy photos of their products next to negative content about same, you do the math!

Advanced Taster

Every specialty publication ever known has made the claim that advertising sales have nothing to do with editorial content. Perhaps, but without the ads the mags don't exist, and companies don't like to place glossy photos of their products next to negative content about same, you do the math!
    Portwood, I created this publication 22 years ago, and the rule I established from Day 1 is that advertising and editorial are 100% independent of each other. A magazine doesn't survive and continue to grow for two decades by being corrupt; It survives on integrity and respect.

You don't know anything about me, but you hide behind a false name and accuse me of something I have never done. It's not only sad, it's very hurtful. You attack my character, and I pride myself in being honest and doing the right thing.

Am I perfect? Far from it, but based on your false accusations, neither are you. At least I admit when I am wrong, lean from it, and endeavor to be a better person in the future.

We often get queries from potential advertisers, asking us to write about them if they advertise, because they tell us that other drinks magazines make these promises. Our answer is, and always has been, the same: "No. Take your business elsewhere." If anything it make me want to write about them less, because I don't respect them.

To further separate myself from even the appearance of impropriety, five years ago I made it a policy to no longer accept corporate press trips. If I want to visit a distillery, I pay my own way. No other full-time whisky writer has done this over the past five years.

So, before you make accusations, do your homework first.
    Publisher and Editor of Whisky Advocate magazine.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by JohnHansell View Post
    A magazine doesn't survive and continue to grow for two decades by being corrupt; It survives on integrity and respect.
    Likewise for a business selling whiskey.

I have decided Whistlepig and its principals have no integrity and do not deserve my respect. Therefore, I will not buy their products. Others are free to make up their own minds and do whatever they want with their money. If enough people have a different opinion from mine, WP will not only survive but prosper.

I have also decided that publications that depend on advertising do not add enough value for me to pay for their content, regardless how well respected they are. Others are free to make up their own minds and do whatever they want with their money. The more people that have a different opinion from mine, the more subscribers you will have.

The beauty of the situation is that I don't need anyone on whiskey boards to respect me - I have nothing to sell to them. If I'm disrespectful to anyone, the mods will cut off my access. If things I say make no sense people will shout me down or ignore me. Either way, I disappear. OTOH, if my "accusations" have merit, people will discuss them further. If I'm wrong on this one, people will tell me so, and that will be that!

On your attack of my anonymity, same old ____, different day. Unlike you, I don't work in the booze business. Outside of a very small circle of people, alcohol consumption is not a topic for conversation - quite the opposite. At the moment, my job is relatively secure. However, if for some reason I were to go looking for another job, prospective employers are smart enough to use google. No matter how smart I may (or may not) sound in my rants, any prospective employer would be dumb to take the risk hiring me - I probably would think the same. So, despite the attacks from people that have decided openness is not detrimental to them, I'll remain anonymous.

Disciple

Likewise for a business selling whiskey.

I have decided Whistlepig and its principals have no integrity and do not deserve my respect. Therefore, I will not buy their products. Others are free to make up their own minds and do whatever they want with their money. If enough people have a different opinion from mine, WP will not only survive but prosper.
    PW - I for one am in total agreement with this position. Other than a poor product (and this not) nothing turns me off faster than a lack of integrity or arrogance which to me WP has a double dose of.