Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Guru

Re: Davin De Kergommeaux's Chat with WhistlePig's Raj Bhakta

Quote Originally Posted by portwood View Post
    Others are free to make up their own minds and do whatever they want with their money.
    Quite so, accordingly I've decided to renew my subscription to Whiskey Advocate.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Quite so, accordingly I've decided to renew my subscription to Whiskey Advocate.
    Well that's all the recommendation I need to start my initial subscription!

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    I'd drink to that, if only you weren't hiding behind anonymity.
    Last edited by portwood; 03-23-2014 at 09:54.
    "Old guys tend to say it like it is." squire

Trippah and Admin

Likewise for a business selling whiskey.

I have decided Whistlepig and its principals have no integrity and do not deserve my respect. Therefore, I will not buy their products. Others are free to make up their own minds and do whatever they want with their money. If enough people have a different opinion from mine, WP will not only survive but prosper.

I have also decided that publications that depend on advertising do not add enough value for me to pay for their content, regardless how well respected they are. Others are free to make up their own minds and do whatever they want with their money. The more people that have a different opinion from mine, the more subscribers you will have.

The beauty of the situation is that I don't need anyone on whiskey boards to respect me - I have nothing to sell to them. If I'm disrespectful to anyone, the mods will cut off my access. If things I say make no sense people will shout me down or ignore me. Either way, I disappear. OTOH, if my "accusations" have merit, people will discuss them further. If I'm wrong on this one, people will tell me so, and that will be that!

On your attack of my anonymity, same old ____, different day. Unlike you, I don't work in the booze business. Outside of a very small circle of people, alcohol consumption is not a topic for conversation - quite the opposite. At the moment, my job is relatively secure. However, if for some reason I were to go looking for another job, prospective employers are smart enough to use google. No matter how smart I may (or may not) sound in my rants, any prospective employer would be dumb to take the risk hiring me - I probably would think the same. So, despite the attacks from people that have decided openness is not detrimental to them, I'll remain anonymous.
    Wow, you accuse WA of trading editorial content for ad buys, John calls you in it to set the record straight and you don't apologize?

Moving the goalposts in your response is typical internet stuff, but overall that's pretty sad IMO.
    Last edited by callmeox; 03-23-2014 at 11:25.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Guru

I'd drink to that, if only you weren't hiding behind anonymity.
    Actually Squire is my real name as several hundred of my acquaintances can easily testify. I've never had a need for an internet cognomen.

Guru

My son though had to put up with the nickname 'Squirling' as he was dubbed by one of my waggish friends.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by callmeox View Post
    Wow, you accuse WA of trading editorial content for ad buys, John calls you in it to set the record straight and you don't apologize?

Moving the goalposts in your response is typical internet stuff, but overall that's pretty sad IMO.
    Agreed. I was thinking the same thing. Sad, indeed.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Enthusiast

John Hansell wrote in part, " . . . I created this publication 22 years ago, and the rule I established from Day 1 is that advertising and editorial are 100% independent of each other. A magazine doesn't survive and continue to grow for two decades by being corrupt; It survives on integrity and respect" [I snipped the rest.]

Thanks for adopting this policy and saying so out loud, and more thanks for adhering to it. Some of us find reading hard copy easier and preferable to emag web pages. I also find fewer distractions in hard copy - I'm less likely to forget what I'm looking for or at.

And, while we're on the subject, I, too, like WP rye, but I'm not likely to buy another bottle (and have decided NOT to ration the one I have) at its current price. There are too many competitors out here to get obsessed with one.

Harry (though my bald head says otherwise) in Washington DC (really! I like it here.)

[Edit 3 minutes later.] Darn! Just had my first sip of the day - a Bernheim SmB. Didn't know wheaters could taste this good.
    Last edited by Harry in WashDC; 03-23-2014 at 13:23.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by callmeox View Post

I'll second that. This seems to be far afield from the typical gentlemanly behavior we aspire to here.

If I'm being an ass and someone calls me on it then it probably won't change my opinion but at least I'll own up to being an ass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Richard
    GBS Member rounding out the top 5
    Are you a Whisk(e)y Apostle?

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by BigRich View Post
    I'll second that. This seems to be far afield from the typical gentlemanly behavior we aspire to here.

If I'm being an ass and someone calls me on it then it probably won't change my opinion but at least I'll own up to being an ass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yep. I don't have a problem with anyone being an ass (I can often be quite good at it). I also think that sometimes its awfully easy to get a little liquored up and post something that may be a little regrettable in hindsight. I'd even venture that we've all done it a time or two, so really no big deal. Call a foul, raise your hand, move on and keep playing hard.

However, after one commits a slight error, it should be fairly easy to man up and make amends. Heck, I'm really not that smart (I don't even need to be called out to know when I've stepped in dog poo), so its quite unfortunate, when one witnesses a greater error in judgment as one responds at length without acknowledging the initial foul.

Just my opinion (and I'm fully aware that no one asked for it), but John deserves an apology.