Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 171 of 191 FirstFirst ... 71121161169170171172173181 ... LastLast
Results 1,701 to 1,710 of 1906
    Enthusiast

Re: What Bourbon Are You Drinking - Spring 2014

I tried the Smooth Ambler Yearling tonight. Aged 2 years 8 months.

It was reasonably priced at around $20, so I picked up a 375. I knew it would taste young, and I was prepared for it. I was more curious than anything.

Yes, it tasted very young. Very grainy, corny on the nose. Lightly cloyingly sweet. Not too hot, but the finish was a bit bitter and super short. I'm interested in coming back to this in a couple years when it's got some more age to it. Until then, I'll stick with their sourced Old Scout.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by sutton View Post
    Old Medley 12y ... I know this is contract distilled, but tonight especially it seems very Barton-like to me - somewhere between VOB and 1792. Not as dry/astringent as 1792 but has its dry spice, and not as much dark fruit/fig as VOB but it is there.
    Fascinating how our tasters can be so different. I'm also drinking the OM 12yr and I'm not getting anything that reminds me of VOB. In fact, I'm really off tonight as what I'm tasting isn't at all like the previous pours of this, but my memories of this one are also nothing like VOB to me. If tonight was my first taste, I'd be thinking of pouring it out. Just goes to show you should always give something a couple chances before delivering the final verdict.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by HD 335 View Post
    Finally got a taste of Pappy. Was at Mesa Grill in Las Vegas and saw they had the 15 and 20 year so before my meal I went with a 1.5oz pour of the 15 year. And for dessert, a 1.5oz pour of the 20 year. I now see why the SB blend is so popular. Good stuff all round but not worth the crazy secondary market prices. For those interested, they were completely out of the Rye and 23 year. They had the ORVW 10 year, a little less than half a bottle of Lot B 12 year, about 1/6 bottle of the 15 and one more pour of the 20. Bartender said that's all they have left.
    Mmmmmm . . . Mesa Grill in Vegas. Love that place. Hope you tried the porchini mushroom quesadilla. If you want some more bourbon goodness, head to Spago in the forum, table 10 in the Pallazo, and Delmonico in the Venetian. Last time I was out there, Delmonico still had Parkers Heritage 10 yr Wheated. Pappy is good, but the Wheated Parker's is Devine. It was also like 12 a pour which was a steal.

Dammit all that made me realize that I need to go back.

Connoisseur

On a side note, I'm enjoying some ER10.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by petrel800 View Post
    Mmmmmm . . . Mesa Grill in Vegas. Love that place. Hope you tried the porchini mushroom quesadilla. If you want some more bourbon goodness, head to Spago in the forum, table 10 in the Pallazo, and Delmonico in the Venetian. Last time I was out there, Delmonico still had Parkers Heritage 10 yr Wheated. Pappy is good, but the Wheated Parker's is Devine. It was also like 12 a pour which was a steal.

Dammit all that made me realize that I need to go back.
    Thanks for the tips, I'll be sure to visit those spots the next time I'm there. Maybe head back in a few months.

Connoisseur

Cracked open the George Dickel 9 year selected by Julio' Liquors in their Loch & K(e)y Society.

Lots of vanilla and some dark fruit, with a hint of butterscotch. Nicely strong with the proof, bordering on being hot. Lots of oak and a little not-unwelcome bitterness on the finish. A bit vitamin-like in the late finish, though that fades out to an oaky fruity after-taste. Good stuff!

All credit due to Fox, whose enthusiasm inspired me to pick one up the moment I found it on a shelf, as most of the big stores close to me don't have it, and I only get to Julio's when I'm driving across the state.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Kalessin View Post
    Cracked open the George Dickel 9 year selected by Julio' Liquors in their Loch & K(e)y Society.

Lots of vanilla and some dark fruit, with a hint of butterscotch. Nicely strong with the proof, bordering on being hot. Lots of oak and a little not-unwelcome bitterness on the finish. A bit vitamin-like in the late finish, though that fades out to an oaky fruity after-taste. Good stuff!

All credit due to Fox, whose enthusiasm inspired me to pick one up the moment I found it on a shelf, as most of the big stores close to me don't have it, and I only get to Julio's when I'm driving across the state.

Yes!! another convert!

I've wondered how barrel variability comes across with this one. Ive had the '13 LB select and the '14 LB select and theyre nearly identical. Maybe the selectors picked it that way, maybe there's little variance in the selections offered. I don't get 'hot' out of mine, or even close....in fact, I think it drinks more like a 90 proofer. The profile is all it's own....its nothing like bourbon, nothing like scotch, but it just works. Regardless, I'm glad you liked it!

Doug
    Think about how stupid the average person is.....then realize that half of them are more stupid than that.

Advanced Taster

Had a healthy pour of OFBB '13 last night. About half way through the bottle and still not digging this one, too much acetone.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by 393foureyedfox View Post
    Yes!! another convert!
    The only problem is that I think this pushes me over 30 open bottles of whiskey (bourbon, rye, scotch, etc). I need to start finishing some bottles...

I've wondered how barrel variability comes across with this one. Ive had the '13 LB select and the '14 LB select and theyre nearly identical. Maybe the selectors picked it that way, maybe there's little variance in the selections offered. I don't get 'hot' out of mine, or even close....in fact, I think it drinks more like a 90 proofer. The profile is all it's own....its nothing like bourbon, nothing like scotch, but it just works. Regardless, I'm glad you liked it!
    I've found that store picks can range from indistinguishable from a company's regular product all the way to tasting like a completely different whiskey.

The alcohol in the 9yo that I have I'd describe better as "alcohol punch" rather than "hot", and knowing your high-proof preference, you may taste it less.

This is the first Dickel whiskey I've tasted since a very long time ago. I was, hm, probably 8 years old, when I discovered about 1/2 ounce in the bottom of a bottle in my grandparents' attic. The bottle itself was really cool, a quart-size "powderhorn" bottle from 1964 (a souvenir of when the distillery reopened). I don't have any memory of the taste, other than "yuck!"
    powderhorn-bottle.jpg
    Last edited by Kalessin; 06-10-2014 at 08:46.

Advanced Taster

Last night (Monday) I took part in a Wild Turkey tasting at Seven Grand Whiskey Bar, hosted by brand ambassador and Master Distiller, Eddie Russell. We tasted through RRSBSmB first, then Forgiven, and ended with RR Rye. A good night of drinking and listening to Eddie's tales of the bourbon biz. And a fine way to pound the dreaded start of the work week into submission.