Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 35 of 51 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: What beer are you drinking, Spring 14?

An impromptu beer tasting last night with a few friends included a diverse group of beers.

Beer tasting May 2014.JPG

A growler of a Terrapin/Starr Hill collaboration called GAVA Joe. A pretty strong coffee stout that was OK although coffee is not my favorite flavor profile as a non-coffee drinker
    Terrapin Moonray - a chocolate orange Weizenbock that was a bit odd and a little disappointing. Almost an odd slightly sour note crossed with root beer and flamed orange peel!
    Bell's Smitten Golden Rye - Pleasant light mildly bitter rye ale
    Uinta's Cockeyed Copoper Barrel Aged Barley wine - Had been on the shelf a year or more and had developed a nice caramel note
    New Holland Black Tulip American Trippel - A nicely done American version
    Iqhilika South African Coffee flavored mead - seemed out of balance with sweetness overwhelmed by acidity and little coffee flavor to me
    Bell's Hopslam 2014 vs 2013 - 2013 won (not a very "hoppy" crowd) but the 2014 is already starting to tone down the hoppiness a bit.
    Brooklyn Black Ops from 2011 - A beautiful rich port like stout. Seems like this really likes a bit of age.
    Bruery Smoking Wood barrel aged smoked porter - A real classic, always excellent to me
    Portland Beer Week India Wild Ale from Breakside Brewery along with Gigantic - Might have been past its prime. Not very noteworthy.
    Gigantic Too Much Coffee Man which didn't have that much of a coffee note or anything else to me especially compared to the Terrapin GAVA man.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Enthusiast

I met up with MyOldKyDram and had some Prairie Bible Belt on tap tonight. Pretty tasty stuff, and I had a great time catching up with Sean and Kristin.

Guru

What beer are you drinking, Spring 14?

Great sharing a few beers w ya last night!

Tonight it's a Hanssens Oude Gueuze, and a New Day Breakfast Magpie Mead. It's a honey, black raspberry wine, w coffee added and it is amazeballs. Hope against hope to find more in Indy this weekend.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by MyOldKyDram View Post
    Great sharing a few beers w ya last night!

Tonight it's a Hanssens Oude Gueuze, and a New Day Breakfast Magpie Mead. It's a honey, black raspberry wine, w coffee added and it is amazeballs. Hope against hope to find more in Indy this weekend.
    Sean, FYI New Day has a tasting room in Fountain Square. May find some rarities for purchase there. If you need info PM me.
    "Sip it and say there is no solace for the soul, no tonic for the body like old Bourbon whiskey"-Joshua Soule Smith

Guru

We've been there before Eric and I'm sure we will make our way there again this weekend!

Disciple

If you have time, stop in at the Thunderbird, new joint that just opened a block south of New Day on Shelby. Craft cocktails and southern cooking with a twist.
    "Sip it and say there is no solace for the soul, no tonic for the body like old Bourbon whiskey"-Joshua Soule Smith

Guru

Very cool thanks for the rec!

Guru

You guys are pissing me off! I grew up pretty close to Fountain Square. I went to St. Patrick's church as a kid. I live in Hendricks County but I rarely get over to Fountain Square. Sean, what brings you to Indy?

Guru

Upland Sour Fest this weekend!

Guru

AtG Fruitis the Farmer Beescake, a melon saison finished w brettanomyces. The funk is largely on point, though it could probably benefit from a lil aging as there's not much melon flavor anyhow. Bitter, peppery finish.