Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 44 of 51 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: What beer are you drinking, Spring 14?

Quote Originally Posted by MyOldKyDram View Post
    Copious amounts of Fou' Foune on draft hooray!
    Jealous of you and the gang that are there! Hope you guys had a blast!

I had some Zombie Dust tonight while I caught up on Game of Thrones. Not sure which was better, the show or the beer.
    Tyler

Guru

Was on tap at the Beer Trappe, Eric.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by MyOldKyDram View Post
    Was on tap at the Beer Trappe, Eric.
    How did Kentucky end up being the US home of Cantillon? I think I have heard of more from there than anywhere in the US!
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Guru

Gotta be the cultural similarities. :P

Apprentice

the ogden, light crisp and refreshing. smells like a safety meeting, nice and easy. the gubna, simply delicious.

Connoisseur

Having some NG Berliner Weiss. A perfect beer as the thermometer starts to climb. Cheers!

Tyler

Enthusiast

Did a SBS of Prairie Bomb and Prairie/Evil Twin Bible Belt with my wife. Whoa, two seriously good beers! The evening cooled down enough to enjoy them outside as a reward for sweated in the evening heat. Slight edge to the Bomb, at least tonight, but both outstanding examples of imperial stouts.
    "We're wanted men! we'll strike again! But first, let's have a beer" -- J Buffett

Guru

Had a small beer tasting over the weekend with a few friends that I keep forgetting to post about. Although small we had a few good ones!

Beer tasting May 14.JPG

A fairly dense dark lineup for spring time but i can drink a good malty stout most anytime of the year!

Uinta Birthday Suit Sour 20th from 2013 - decent but tried at the end of the night which may have kept it from being able to show its full potential.

Cigar City Hanapu's Stout - one from 2012 and one from 2014. The age on the 2012 made it a little richer and pleasant to me.

3 Tavern's Quasimodo Quad style and Theophan the Recluse Russian Stout - A local brewery. The Theophan was good, the Quad seemed to be rather thin and lacking.

Sierra Nevada 30th Anniversary Jack & Kens Black Barleywine from 2010 - Really nice dense malty beer with little of the Sierra Nevada hops profile. Not sure if it was the age but this was very nice!

The Bruery Sucre - Their 6th Anniversary bottle and while it was not Bois (what is?) this was again a superb effort. Beautiful dense raisony port like sweetness with little or no sense of the 16% ABV and some nice woody syrupy goodness to finish.

Pairie Bomb - Very nice chocolate-y stout that again handled its 14% ABV well but suffered a bit in comparison to the Sucre.

Bourbon County Brand Stout - A bit similar but perhaps the most oily, syrupy of the bunch. In a good way of course! Still, to me the Sucre was still just the better drink.

Founders Backwoods Bastard - While similar the Bastard seems to have a pleasant edge that cuts through the wood and oily texture. Still a great one.

The last bottle (which we tried first) was a homemade blueberry mead. A bit sweet but a good bit of blueberry. Not very thick which I kind of expect with a mead. More like a watery blueberry vodka. Perfect for the ladies...
    Last edited by tanstaafl2; 06-04-2014 at 14:45.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    How did Kentucky end up being the US home of Cantillon? I think I have heard of more from there than anywhere in the US!
    Small distributor that rewards good customers and a few board members with their fingers on the sour pulse.

There really isn't much to go around.

Connoisseur

Dark Horse Safety Meeting tonight and a few local brews before switching to bourbon. Happy Friday!
    Tyler